Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
A couple years ago I purchased a 20" chainsaw to deal with some larger trees needing cleanup on some property we purchased, everytime I needed the saw it would not start. I could always get it started in my garage after the usual fuel, spark, air checks but having heard all the praise for Stihl chainsaws I was very under impressed. Yesterday I needed to cut a 24" tree and sure enough the saw would not start. Convinced I had a carb problem I took took it to a dealer today and told him what was going on. He asked me how I normally tried starting the saw and I said the same way I have started my Echo for the last 30-years. Choke until it turned over and then 1/2 choke until it would run on its own. He smiled and said you will flood a Stihl if you try more then two pulls in the "cold" setting. He then started the saw without any problem. Seems I did have a carb flooding issue, the operator.

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #2  
Small engines definitely have their own "personalities" when it comes to chokes. When we get used to a certain choke setup, we don't even think about it anymore.

I swear my Briggs generators are setup for something like -60C for full choke. If I ever have to start 'em at anything close to that temperature, I'll raise a toast to the carb designer - that is, at least as soon as I get feeling back in my fingers !

Rgds, D.

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #3  
Yup. Just the way I've been doing it. I have just become used to the fact it required 6 pulls at half choke.
Now you tell me. :confused3:

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #4  
I have a similar experience and related question on a different saw....I have a Husqvarna 455, Starts great cold, runs good, idles fine and will start right back up if shut off for less than say five minutes...But if you let it cool off more than that, It will flood for sure. I then have to take the plug out and dry it off and repeat several times, then at full throttle try to start. Maybe I am missing something and just not doing something right, but seems like I have a problem. I would have thought that any carburetor problem, it wouldn't run and idle good.....

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks
Hi Jeff - Keep in mind I am before mentioned stupid operator. To your question, today the Stihl Dealer did tell me my previous procedure (Full, 1/2 Choke) was applicable to Echo and Huskey's so my uniformed guess is you do have a carb issue. Good Luck. Frustrating time of year to be having saw issues.

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #6  
I have a similar experience and related question on a different saw....I have a Husqvarna 455, Starts great cold, runs good, idles fine and will start right back up if shut off for less than say five minutes...But if you let it cool off more than that, It will flood for sure. I then have to take the plug out and dry it off and repeat several times, then at full throttle try to start. Maybe I am missing something and just not doing something right, but seems like I have a problem. I would have thought that any carburetor problem, it wouldn't run and idle good.....

I just went through this a little bit ago. The guys gave me some good info. Not sure how to post threads.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/chainsaws/260737-stihl-wet-plug.html

I ended up getting an aftermarket carb for $30 from Weedeaterman in Va. Has website. Haven't put it in yet but was the cheapest way to go.

Last edited:
   / Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #7  
I've 4 Stihl chainsaws - 088, 660, 660, 021. All take 2 or three pulls at full choke, if COLD, till they "pop" then a pull or two at half choke.

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #9  
newbury said:
I've 4 Stihl chainsaws - 088, 660, 660, 021. All take 2 or three pulls at full choke, if COLD, till they "pop" then a pull or two at half choke.

My 260 has required at least that since new. My saw is cold natured and always has been. Now I have a Kawasaki string trimmer and it the easiest small engine to start I have owed or used. My Dad has a Poulan pole saw that makes me thankful for a few pulls on my saw. The Poulan takes multiple pulls and then it has to idle for at least five minutes before you can touch the throttle. These small two stroke motors seem to each have a personality of their own.

/ Stihl MS310 Starting Issues - Stupid Owner Tricks #10  
Small engines definitely have their own "personalities" when it comes to chokes
Isn't that the truth. My Echo, couple shots of the primer, two pulls with choke it'll run for a couple of secs, choke off and the second pull like that it'll start. Any other procedure, forget it, more finicky than the ex :).....Mike