Tractor
    JD 5075E

Default Compare chainsaws without mentioning the chain?

Is it just me, or does anyone else roll their eyes when they read chainsaw comparisons and they say: "Well model X cuts faster than model Y", or brand X doesn't bog down as much as brand Y" with no mention of what chain they're using or how sharpened? Depending on what type of chain style (chisel, semi-chisel), the chain pitch (.325, 3/8" etc), safety chain, or how much the rakers have been filed down, who sharpened it, how, when, the performance of a chainsaw will vary like night and day. So unless all things are exactly equal (identical new chains out of the box?) seems like most comparisons are just conjecture. Sure, file down those rakers and any saw might lug a bit while it's quickly making sawdust the size of matchsticks, or hit a clump of mud/gravel stuck on the log and the same saw will now rev with all the power in the world (but just doesn't cut as fast). And a .325" pitch chain compared to a 3/8".....
    Last edited by CobyRupert; 11-09-2012 at 10:19 AM.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3800DT, L3750DT Shuttle

Default Re: Compare chainsaws without mentioning the chain?

Yep, I agree!
    Don
    Kubota L3750 Hydro Shuttle, 4wd, FEL; L3800 Gear drive, 4wd, FEL
    Husqvarna XP chainsaws 346xp X3, 357xp, 562xp, 359

Tractor
    Kubota L3200

I remember testing new saws with a buddy, where one was noticeably stronger making traditional cuts. It was about 10cc bigger, so no surprise. But we tried noodling some rounds (lengthwise cut with the grain) and the smaller wimpier saw was way way faster, by a long shot. It was running 3/8" picco chain compared to 0.325 wide on the other one. That's a great example of how different chains really have different characteristics. Also factoring in could be things like how each saw clears chips, clutch cover size, etc. Lot of variables.

LD1
    Tractor
    Kubota l3400

I guess it dont bother me much. Cause chain pitch and style can always be changed. And usually the "comparison" talks I am involved in are typically larger pro model saws. Those dont use .325 or safety crap.

Now if someone comes on and makes a comment like "my husky 450 is WAY faster than my ms441", then yea, I may question the chain.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Tractors16-600hp Farm & Earthmoving Equip, Trucks etc.

Chainsaw comparisons, just like vehicle & most "expert" comparisons, are all too generic & don't relate necessarily to the conditions of your individual environment - if I can't "test drive" under close to my home conditions or know someone with local "ownership" experience I am increasing sceptical about any product claims...............look how Hyundai & Kia understated their fuel consumption & are now being prosecuted ....& chainsaw manufacturers like many other outdoor/farm/domestic products have nowhere near the same statutory obligations which these & other vehicle manufacturers ignore.....

Red Clay Country, GA & Mississippi Prarie
    Tractor
    JD 2210

That's the truth - there are a lot of variables here. I just want something that is reliable, I can change the chain or bar if needed.
    "He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive". Dirt, it's nothing but dirt, I tell ye...
    "I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim
    "I wouldn't want to be within 400 or 500 yards of one of them newfangled nuclear bombs when it went off!" WW1 Vet...

Platinum Member

Simply put if you buy a chainsaw from a "box" store you need to get a full chisel chain ASAP. Unless you need alot of practice running a saw.

Tractor
    05' JD 790 - 49' Ford 8n - 53' Ford NAA - 70' Massey Fergusen 135 diesel - 1950 John Deere MC - 1992 Thomas T-83 skid steer

If you buy your saws from a box store you don't need a full chisel chain.
    check us out at www.tessiersfarm.com

Silver Member
    Tractor
    farmall cub John Deere 310 Backhoe Loader Ventrac 4131

I agree chains and how they are sharpened make all the difference in the world. I recently cut with two different saws one was sharpened at a 35 degree angle and mine at a 30 degree. I thought both cut well. It seemed like the 35 degree wanted to grab and throw wood more than the 30. Both were sharpened by owners. Is this my imagination difference in sharpening or do 35 degree sharpened chains grab and throw wood at you more than 30 degree sharpened chains.

Tractor
    Kubota L3750

ptexer it still can vary by how well the pitch is sharpened whether at 30 or 35 degrees. I sharpen most of mine at 35.
    http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/27377.htm
    1st Peter 1:6-9