Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Default Re: Cut wandering.

I had time today to check out the chain. It does seem to me that one side is a little duller than the other side. I sharpened it and went to reinstall it. I noticed some of the pawls that catch the drive sprocket would not go into the bar slot without a little effort. It seems that they have a bur on them. Is there some simple way to burnish these burrs off? Is that normal? I checked the other chains I have that need sharpened, and they also have burs in the same place. They will not easily go into a brand new bar I have sitting on the shelf. I can only believe that this is not good. The drive sprocket shows slight wear, but I would think that is normal after cutting several cords of wood.
    Jack Terpack

Mahindra 3016
    Everything Attachments model 6900 PHD
    Caroni FL1200 Tiller
    LandPride FDR1660 Finish Mower
    LandPride RCR1260 Brush Hog
    Iowa Farm Equipment Tooth Bar
    Pat's Easy Change System
    Husky 562XP and 455 Rancher
    Stihl 031AV x2
    DR Rapidfire ProXL

Platinum Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Pa Pa Jack View Post
    I had time today to check out the chain. It does seem to me that one side is a little duller than the other side. I sharpened it and went to reinstall it. I noticed some of the pawls that catch the drive sprocket would not go into the bar slot without a little effort. It seems that they have a bur on them. Is there some simple way to burnish these burrs off? Is that normal? I checked the other chains I have that need sharpened, and they also have burs in the same place. They will not easily go into a brand new bar I have sitting on the shelf. I can only believe that this is not good. The drive sprocket shows slight wear, but I would think that is normal after cutting several cords of wood.
    Changing out your drive sprocket after wearing out two chains and on every bar replacement is a good technique. They are cheap. Run a groove cleaner through your bar groove and see if there are any anomalies with it as well.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John deere 2305, X520 and LX188

Quote Originally Posted by Pa Pa Jack View Post
    I have a Husky 455 Rancher. I have been cutting firewood lately and have had no issues until yesterday. I put on a brand new chain when I noticed the saw was really slowing down. With the new chain, the saw will not make a straight cut through a 16 inch log. It wanders to the right as if it wants to cut a circle no matter what I do. I flipped the bar over thinking that maybe it was the problem, but it made no difference. Now the saw revs much higher but cuts much slower. The chain is a H47s Husky brand and is still very sharp. Any ideas?
    Have the chain sharpened or replace it with the correct one.

One more thing.

Take a small flat file and file off all the "burs" off the saw bar and that the edge is filed "flat". Look at the edge of the bar. The only "groove" in it should be where the chain runs, Make the the sprocket turns. Clean out the bar groove with a putty knife and compressed air. I have to replace my bar every couple of years because of heavy cutting in oak. When the cutters are different on one side than the other, after hitting a rock or too many sharpenings, yes, the cut wants to go crooked. Thyat is also putting a lot of wear and tear on you and the saw.

ALWAYS wear ear plugs.

SC

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Massey 1652, 1949 Farmall H

Quote Originally Posted by DT86 View Post
    I wonder if its on backwards? We've all probably done that once or twice in a hurry.
    Put a chain on backwards?! Are you serious?? What kind of a dumbell would ever... uh, oops. Never mind. Just remembered that I did exactly that as recently as last week. (again!). Sheesh...

Tractor
    Deere 990/Montana 5740

Quote Originally Posted by jymbee View Post
    Put a chain on backwards?! Are you serious?? What kind of a dumbell would ever... uh, oops. Never mind. Just remembered that I did exactly that as recently as last week. (again!). Sheesh...
    I am with you Jymbee,, you would have to be a moron to put a chain on backwards,, beside if you did,, all you would need to do is turn around and cut the tree behind you.. duh.. lol.. that when you like being my yourself,, hey they will fit either way,, Lou
    "Life is good if beer is cold"

Gold Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Lou66 View Post
    I am with you Jymbee,, you would have to be a moron to put a chain on backwards,, beside if you did,, all you would need to do is turn around and cut the tree behind you.. duh.. lol.. that when you like being my yourself,, hey they will fit either way,, Lou
    Not unlike the VERY old (but funny) joke where a new carpenter's helper was going thorugh a case of nails, picking them up one at a time and tossing out about half of them. After watching this exercise for a time, the carpenter asked him why he was throwing out perfectly good nails? The guy replies: "Well, the head was on the wrong end."

"IDIOT", the carpenter replies-- "those are for the OTHER WALL!"

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John deere 2305, X520 and LX188

Quote Originally Posted by jymbee View Post
    Just put the transmission on the saw in reverse and you can cut with the chain on the other way.

SC

Gold Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by scollins View Post
    Just put the transmission on the saw in reverse and you can cut with the chain on the other way.

SC
    Well thanks for NOTHING!! It took me quite awhile to do just that. Been picking sawdust out of my hair & teeth ever since...

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Wearing of the sprocket is a good sign that you are using the wrong chain. Once my brother in law had a saw shop put on a new chain when he had his pole saw in for tune-up and shortly afterwards I noticed the sprocket notched badly. I checked the new chain against the old one (factory original) and the links were just a bit off. In about 10 links the chain was 1/4" different in sprocket location. He had to order a new sprocket and chain for it.
    Recently I picked up one of the cheap HF chain saw sharpeners and decided to sharpen up some of my old chains that were doing the exact same thing the OP had. While sharpening them, I found that one chain had about 3 teeth that had hit something and were really dull. Finished with the sharpening, I took off my brand new chain and put on one of the resharpened ones. Man does it cut good now. I couldnt believe how well it cut and with the very first time using the electric saw sharpener. The Folks that claim that the high dollar ones are better must be getting some really really good results with those. My HF one paid for itself in the first sharpening. MY new chain cost $24.99 purchased at Sears which was the same as my HF sharpener + shipping. After sharpening 2 chains, I am over $20 in the black on that purchase.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler View Post
    Wearing of the sprocket is a good sign that you are using the wrong chain. Once my brother in law had a saw shop put on a new chain when he had his pole saw in for tune-up and shortly afterwards I noticed the sprocket notched badly. I checked the new chain against the old one (factory original) and the links were just a bit off. In about 10 links the chain was 1/4" different in sprocket location. He had to order a new sprocket and chain for it.
    Worn sprocket is caused by using a chain with the wrong pitch. Also, a worn out old chain can stretch enough that its pitch gets off. This is more of an issue with the frugal types who keep sharpening their chains forever and ever.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast