Cut wandering.

/ Cut wandering. #61  
I agree with LD1 ,and xyx123 . hand filed will out perform machine ground . (done properly ) JMHO.

So, do you shapen a new chain before first use? :)

Although I'm with the electric grinder folks here, it seems this is one of those things that's not possible to prove conclusively one way or the other given all the variables.

/ Cut wandering. #62  
Sorry I have to disagree jymbee, I think most of us, at least those that have tried both have proven it conclusively to ourselves which works best for us and that is all that really matters as we are the ones that use our saws.

/ Cut wandering. #63  

Although I'm with the electric grinder folks here, it seems this is one of those things that's not possible to prove conclusively one way or the other given all the variables.

Yes, usually. As well as a few drags of the file across the rakers to lower them as well

/ Cut wandering. #64  
I must be the only guy that uses a Dremel tool with the round stones made to sharpen the chains.

/ Cut wandering. #65  
Sorry I have to disagree jymbee, I think most of us, at least those that have tried both have proven it conclusively to ourselves which works best for us and that is all that really matters as we are the ones that use our saws.

Hi Rick,

That's pretty much my point. Been sharpening chains for decades and I too have tried both.

By definition I think both sides of the discussion are right since there is no way to quantify the expertise of those using ether method. Could a hand filer learn to use a grinder more effectively or a grinder user master their filing technique to a greater degree? I expect both are true.

Everyone's opinion is based on their level of expertise with their preferred way of sharpening.

/ Cut wandering. #66  
I must be the only guy that uses a Dremel tool with the round stones made to sharpen the chains.

Dremel you say? Sheesh, sounds like something a guy from Upstate New York would say! :D
Whereabouts in NY? I'm in the northern Catskill Mt. area.

/ Cut wandering. #67  

Actually ,yes I do . ever look at the profile of the newer Stihl RM and RS chains? they seem to be using a very thin stone to put the edge on those chains . It leaves a little spike in the gullet . so , I take a file to them before use .
I agree with You on it being very subjective . Hence the JMHO . :<)

/ Cut wandering. #68  

The problem with the file vs grinder tests is taht the tester is using subjective criteria and _will_ get the results they expect to get whether it is true or not.

Harry K

/ Cut wandering. #69  
For my version of this, I compare the price of all the files I have bought vs the price of the grinder and the energy expended filing and I will take the grinder. I have bought Oregon files and they dont seem to stay sharp long, perhaps it is the file quality but even with the guide bar, I can get a pretty sharp tooth but it still wont cut like a new chain. Oregon chains seem to be Ok for my use on my Husky saw. I took a safety course once and the instructor used all Stihl equipment because he got if free and he discussed the different tooth patterns that you can get, none of which I have seen on other chains. He had one with a chisel tooth that cut chips out of an oak tree the size of small sticks. I think he also had the saws hopped up as they sounded like a turbocharged race car, but man would they cut. He also recommended hand filing every tank of fuel or whenever the cut seemed lacking. It seems to me that the chisel tooth used a triangle file to sharpen them. Sure cut like a hot knife thru butter. Anyway after getting all the gadgets that he said would help make a novice guy able to sharpen a saw, mine still came up lacking so I am proud that I finally decided on the electric sharpener. Each to his own.