Which brand saw?

/ Which brand saw?
16" bars have done everything I have needed. I try to cut trees for posts to have 6"-10" tops.

Thanks everyone for the advice given

/ Which brand saw? #22  
Stihl and Husky both make junk models and very good models. Both are in box stores, just that Husky has their lower, cheaper models in the bigger box store. Stihl is in some of the big farm and home, chain hardware type stores.

I like the Husky xp pro models better than the Stihl pro models. Yes I've used both.

Cuttin fence posts; No more than a good 50cc saw is needed and the 346xp is the best 50cc saw ever made! 346 has been around since 1999 and was 45cc until 2007 when the new edition came out at 50cc. It's still to be seen if the 550xp is better, but it's lookin like it will be on top after it's been out a while.

/ Which brand saw? #23  
You certainly cannot go wrong with a stihl or husky provided it is a pro model.

But being a dolmar fan, Dolmar will get my vote. Power for power, size for size, they usually are a little less $$$ and every bit as good, durable, and dependable.

$500-$800 is a broad range. That would cover anything from the 5105 up to the beast...the PS7900.

For just fence posts and ocassional cutting, I'd say the 5105 would be good. The 7900 is if you want to cut ALOT. Or just like sheer speed and power:D

/ Which brand saw? #24  
Dolmar does make good saws, but no dealer support around here. I've been running saw since 1977 and just recently found out about Dolmar. :eek:

/ Which brand saw? #25  
Dolmar does make good saws, but no dealer support around here. I've been running saw since 1977 and just recently found out about Dolmar. :eek:

Yep, that is their biggest downfall. For a guy where dealer support is improtant, and you dont have any dealers, I would never reccomend them.

For a guy like me, where I work on my own stuff, dolmar is the way to go IMO.The only things I ever have to buy for the dolmars are just the normal bar, chain, and sprocket rim. And those are interchangable amoung brands. So when I need a chain or rim, Its off the the stihl dealer:thumbsup:

/ Which brand saw? #26  
Yep, that is their biggest downfall. For a guy where dealer support is improtant, and you dont have any dealers, I would never reccomend them.

For a guy like me, where I work on my own stuff, dolmar is the way to go IMO.The only things I ever have to buy for the dolmars are just the normal bar, chain, and sprocket rim. And those are interchangable amoung brands. So when I need a chain or rim, Its off the the stihl dealer:thumbsup:

I agree with LD1 after buying my Dolmar it seems to be a good saw. So the only stuff needed would be chain and such. I have enough other saws if I did need the Dolmar worked on. If the original guy is cutting 6"-10" stuff then get a decent saw with 16" bar and he can cut all day without dragging around extra weight.

/ Which brand saw? #27  
JMO I would go with a Pro saw or at least saws with magnesium crankcases.

It's sounds if you will need dealer support for work on your saws. So make sure you use a dealer that will take care of you and has knowledgeable staff on hand to work on saws. Trust just because they are Stihl, Husky, Dolmar dont me squat when it comes to working on your saws. I have just about laughed in shop techs faces before. That dumb.

Sounds like you may want to look at semi chisel chains too.

/ Which brand saw?
Found a Dolmar PS5100,16"bar for 369.00 & and PS420,16" bar for 250.00 at a small/good rep dealer here.
Prices sound fair and opinion of those Models? The PS5100 has my interest

Thx

/ Which brand saw? #29  
The 5100 got a bad rap. It wasnt around long til the 5105 came along to replace it. There is TONS of reading on the 5100 on other sites about its dilema, but here is it as I understand it:

When dolmar came out with the 5100, it was a screaming fast saw. It was set pretty lean from the factory to get that screaming fast speed AND to meet the EPA emissions. It was "assumed" that dealers would richen the saw up a bit to prolong the life. But many dealers did not. That in combination with a poor air filter desigh, and a lot of them toasted themselves. Thats why dolmar came out with the 5105, that was tuned a little more conservitive, AND new air intake design. THat is MY PERSONAL understanding of it.

Now, that said, the 5100 is an excellent saw, IF you richen it up a bit AND IF it isnt already toasted.

IF this is a good dealer, ask them about it. They "should" be honest about the 5100's negative rap. And at least ask them if they did a comp test and/or pulled the muffler to see if there is any scoring and if they tuned it "right".

As to the prices.....are they new or used?? Makes a big difference when it comes to saws. But new, the 5100 could be had for ~$400, and the 420 around $300.

The 420 OTOH, is one heck of a sweet and smooth trimming saw.

/ Which brand saw? #30  
I'll vouch LD1 on the Dolmar 5105/5100. I let my friend use my 5105 and he was very impressed. It out cut my old Stihl 029 Farm Boss. It's just a nice power to weight feeling this saw has to it. And I like the on/off switch , which has an auto-lock for half throttle at start up. To stop it, push your right thumb straight down .Very easy to use once you get used to it. I like the 3/8 chain and 16" bar mine came with, very durable and fast cutting.