Which brand saw?

/ Which brand saw? #31  
Stihl and Husky both make junk models and very good models. Both are in box stores, just that Husky has their lower, cheaper models in the bigger box store. Stihl is in some of the big farm and home, chain hardware type stores.

I like the Husky xp pro models better than the Stihl pro models. Yes I've used both.

Cuttin fence posts; No more than a good 50cc saw is needed and the 346xp is the best 50cc saw ever made! 346 has been around since 1999 and was 45cc until 2007 when the new edition came out at 50cc. It's still to be seen if the 550xp is better, but it's lookin like it will be on top after it's been out a while.

I never saw Stihl in the Big Box Stores. Can you tell me which BB store you saw it in?

/ Which brand saw? #32  
I've never seen a Stihl,Husqvarna, Dolmar,in walmart, target . Now I think Home Depot and Lowes can sell them at various locations.

/ Which brand saw?
The 5100 got a bad rap. It wasnt around long til the 5105 came along to replace it. There is TONS of reading on the 5100 on other sites about its dilema, but here is it as I understand it:

When dolmar came out with the 5100, it was a screaming fast saw. It was set pretty lean from the factory to get that screaming fast speed AND to meet the EPA emissions. It was "assumed" that dealers would richen the saw up a bit to prolong the life. But many dealers did not. That in combination with a poor air filter desigh, and a lot of them toasted themselves. Thats why dolmar came out with the 5105, that was tuned a little more conservitive, AND new air intake design. THat is MY PERSONAL understanding of it.

Now, that said, the 5100 is an excellent saw, IF you richen it up a bit AND IF it isnt already toasted.

IF this is a good dealer, ask them about it. They "should" be honest about the 5100's negative rap. And at least ask them if they did a comp test and/or pulled the muffler to see if there is any scoring and if they tuned it "right".

As to the prices.....are they new or used?? Makes a big difference when it comes to saws. But new, the 5100 could be had for ~$400, and the 420 around $300.

The 420 OTOH, is one heck of a sweet and smooth trimming saw.

Both are new, they are also a Stihl dealer so I will check out both in person tomorrow. They have been around for 30 plus years here and have a good reputation.

/ Which brand saw? #34  
I think he is saying Stihls are in some of the big farm stores. I have seen them there myself. Not in WM, Target or HD.

/ Which brand saw? #35  
I think he is saying Stihls are in some of the big farm stores. I have seen them there myself. Not in WM, Target or HD.

So what does that mean? They have to be sold somewhere. As long as they are not compromising the quality and selling to the BB stores, all is ok.

/ Which brand saw? #36  
My complaint with Stihl, and Husky is they putting the product in the farm stores in my area, in some cases within 1/4 mile from an dealer that has been in business 30 years or more. I looked into becoming a Stihl dealer a few years back, and was told I couldn't be within 25 miles of another dealer. That has definitely changed around here.

The Effingham, Il Rural King sells Husky, the Husky dealer is 5 miles away. the Vandalia, Il Rural King sells Stihl. the Stihl dealer can be seen from the store. And people will go to the local Rural King to buy the saw for the same price as the dealer has the saw, and then complain because they get poor service.

/ Which brand saw? #38  
Both are new, they are also a Stihl dealer so I will check out both in person tomorrow. They have been around for 30 plus years here and have a good reputation.

That is a heck of a price for both the 5100 (probabally NOS), and the 420. Just be sure they tune the 5100 right, or do it yourself. For that matter, do they have a 5105?? Might be worth the little extra to not have to worry.

Also....what in the heck is a stihl dealer doing with two new dolmars???

To the other posters comments.....

Stihl and husky BOTH make "box-store" models. IE: low end cheap consumer models. These saws are only "slightly" better than the poulan/craftsman/homelite that you can buy for half the price. They are ALL junk IMO. But they have their place. If you only need a saw once or twice a year to cut up a 5" limb that fell out if the tree......you dont need a $500 saw to do that.

/ Which brand saw? #39  
I have had very good results with Stihl products over the years, however, they now offer some cheaper saws to compete with the low end market. Buy from a reputable dealer that knows what he has and listen to him. Most tractor dealerships in this area also carry chain saws and both the JD and Kubota dealers here carry Stihl saws. Husquavarna used to have a great saw, but they succumbed to the volume sales approach at the expense of quality following in the footsteps of Poulan and others.

/ Which brand saw? #40  
Husquavarna used to have a great saw,

They still do

but they succumbed to the volume sales approach at the expense of quality following in the footsteps of Poulan and others.

They didnt succumb. They have been doing it for years. Actually, the parent company on husqvarna is also the same parent company of poulan. And yes, they do make lower end saws, but that dont mean their higher end saws (xp saws) are any less quality.

I call it smart business. If you only appeal to a select few (IE: higher end loggers) you are only getting a fraction of the business. Appealing to the homeowner opens up a whole new market.