Which brand saw?

/ Which brand saw? #1  

saltbranch

Silver Member
I am done with Poulans...just threw them both in the trash. I have spent way to much money keeping them running. I am looking at having to cut over 300 fence posts this coming year, will be cutting Mesquite. Saw will be running mainly on Saturdays and Sundays for quite awhile.
What brand recommendations? Seems like Stihl, Husqvarna and Echo are the best choices? I do plan on buying from a dealer, not a box store.

/ Which brand saw? #2  
my personal choice is stihl. have two 028 AV saws which are older but have held up very well. husqvarna would be my second choice.

/ Which brand saw? #3  
I know, I used to buy cutrate chainsaws.About 20 years ago I bought a stihl 034. Its still going strong,cutting 6 to 10 cords a year with it.

/ Which brand saw? #4  
I think you named the top three brands in my area. Lesser known but also good are Dolmar (also sold as Makita) and Jonsered. I have an Echo and two Stihls (pro models) and like them all. I also ogle the pro model Huskys from time to time. Beware that all the brands make lower-grade homeowner saws, and in the case of Husky, some of their low-end homeowner saws are closely related to Poulans (Husky and Poulan are part of the same company now).

Nowadays, the crap models tend to be Poulan, McCulloch, Craftsman, and a couple more names I can't remember.

/ Which brand saw? #5  
Pro model Stihl or the Stihl farm boss.

/ Which brand saw?
I am interested in the pro models, what am I looking at 500-800$$? Also what about the chains that comes on these pro models, can someone explain the chains? I do not know much at all to be honest. I know I want a good saw and will have to pay for it. I saw the post here on the chains and that was something I had not thought about. I will be mainly cut fence post and will be clearing some trees for pastures in the next year, then it will used for fire wood and trimming etc.
Guess I need a basic saw education

/ Which brand saw? #7  
You can get a Stihl 261, their smallest pro saw at 50cc, for about $575. The prices go up from there. The 261 can handle an 18" bar with authority in hardwood, and pull a 20" fine in soft wood. Next would be the 362 (60cc, 20-25" bars) then 441 (70cc, 20-28" bars). Beyond that you're talking over a grand for bigger Stihls and getting into some heavy powerheads. For the record, I have a Stihl 261 and a 461. Of all the saws I have run over the years, the 261 is my favorite saw by far.

For what you mention, I'd suggest a semi-chisel chain, which has a rounded corner on the cutters. It is much more robust under "working" conditions or when cutting dirty wood or fence posts (treated wood). Full chisel chain, with square corners, cuts faster but will dull in a heartbeat if the wood isn't clean.

Stihl makes a green chain with anti-kickback features, and yellow chain without. The only difference comes when plunge or bore cutting with the tip of the bar. If you never do that, you'll never notice the difference between green and yellow. I run green most of the time, but have a couple yellows I rotate into the mix now and then. For what you describe, may as well run green and get a little extra safety.

The green semi-chisel will be the Stihl "RM3" chain. If you go yellow, its just "RM".

/ Which brand saw? #8  
Poulan used to make great saws, but went to the cheap consumer market some years back.

I went with Husqvarna XP pro saws 12 years ago in semi commercial use here. The first one a 346xp is still goin strong. Actually a 346xp would be a fine saw for your use, small, light, fast and strong.

/ Which brand saw? #9  
I can speak for Pro Stihl saws, I have three and they make great saws. I would choose the MS261 mentioned above. I can't speak for Huskys but they have a good reputation. I never have used an Echo, don't know.

Last edited:
   / Which brand saw? #10  
saltbranch said:
I am done with Poulans...just threw them both in the trash. I have spent way to much money keeping them running. I am looking at having to cut over 300 fence posts this coming year, will be cutting Mesquite. Saw will be running mainly on Saturdays and Sundays for quite awhile.
What brand recommendations? Seems like Stihl, Husqvarna and Echo are the best choices? I do plan on buying from a dealer, not a box store.

Poulan is just garbage. Stihl is money well spent. I own about 9 different Stihl tools, and don't have a single complaint about any one of them. Stihl is right up there with John Deere, as far as I'm concerned.