Grrrrrr

/ Grrrrrr #21  
I learned after 2 weeks of messing with it when cold 2 pulls full choke then 1 pull no choke and starts every time after that it's a 1 pull start saw every time .

That's what I learned today. After a second trip to the dealer this morning, I get to the barn, and again, no joy. I could just not believe it.
So I cut what I could with the smaller saw and on the way home I stopped at the dealer again. Last time, strike three.
I asked him to watch me. And he said whoa when I pulled four times with the choke on. Apparently it won't start until the choke is then turned off. Strange but ok if I knew this ahead of time.
Dealer: I told you no choke after two pulls
Me: never heard that
Dealer: I guess I said it too softly.
Groan.
So...just like the not so grumpy old man said, just have to figure it out. Never had an engine start like that, they always fired off on choke, not off choke.
It's relative sensitivity to choke was blamed on emission control. Ok.
If it doesn't start tomorrow morning for me, I'm getting a new one, my mojo is shot with this one.

I've always started all my saws as follows: 1. COLD.... pull choke out, turn on ignition, put throttle lever on (that thing at the top of the handle that holds the throttle at about half), pull the rope till it "pops"...take off choke, pull again and it will start, then release the throttle lever. this works on all saws...HOT...just pull the rope once...BobG in VA

/ Grrrrrr
I put the new chain on the 450 today, it made more noise, a whirring noise, and while it cut ok, the bar smoked at the end. And when I compared old and new chains, not sure they are exactly the same, so going to
inspect further before I run them again. Used the big saw and even with a not perfectly sharp chain, it ate the logs easily.
Getting down to the bottom of the second full pile of logs. Might wait on making another unless I have a really cold winter day; right now it's mud city.

my new log holder worked quite nicely. Clearly one can't cut in the middle of the saw or it will yank the wood your way, but cutting where I think one is supposed to, near the motor, the logs just fell off zip zip.
Yeah, you have to lug the log to it, but this way nowhere near the ground, and the whole thing is visible.

now that I'm not flooding it, the 600 starts just fine.

Attachments

• P1030275.JPG
    P1030275.JPG
    658.6 KB · Views: 151
  • P1030276.JPG
    P1030276.JPG
    650.9 KB · Views: 167
  • P1030277.JPG
    P1030277.JPG
    648.2 KB · Views: 164
   / Grrrrrr #23  
I put the new chain on the 450 today, it made more noise, a whirring noise, and while it cut ok, the bar smoked at the end. And when I compared old and new chains, not sure they are exactly the same, so going to
inspect further before I run them again. Used the big saw and even with a not perfectly sharp chain, it ate the logs easily.
Getting down to the bottom of the second full pile of logs. Might wait on making another unless I have a really cold winter day; right now it's mud city.

my new log holder worked quite nicely. Clearly one can't cut in the middle of the saw or it will yank the wood your way, but cutting where I think one is supposed to, near the motor, the logs just fell off zip zip.
Yeah, you have to lug the log to it, but this way nowhere near the ground, and the whole thing is visible.

now that I'm not flooding it, the 600 starts just fine.

Back to the dealer time. It sounds like they gave you the wrong gauge size for your bar. Continuing to use will damage the bar. Heat will build up quick. There are only a few size guages used on chainsaw chains. 1.1mm (.043")
1.3mm (.050")1.5mm (.058")1.6mm (.063"). If you have a mike check the gauge size on the old chain and the new one. I think you will find the new chain has a larger gauge.

Attachments

• GaugeImage.jpg
    GaugeImage.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 118
   / Grrrrrr
makes sense, I had problems installing the chain, but got it to rotate smoothly by hand, so thought it had to be ok.
I had greased the bar tip and I think the grease in there was smoking, a canary in the mine that something is not right.

/ Grrrrrr #25  
Glad you got the 600P sorted out -- that is a nice saw! In my experience, you'd have to try extra hard to make an echo hard to start, so I will bestow on you the honorary idiot of the day award. I give it to you with full accreditation as an idiot myself ;)

Does the 450 bar have any specs stamped on it? I agree, you should confirm the chain is the correct gauge. That saw would likely either be .050 or .058 depending on how it was originally equipped.

/ Grrrrrr
I have the saws at a remote location farm, where I am a p/t caretaker, and so I can't just go look at it now. Which I am certainly curious to do.
In the meantime, as the rain keeps everything muddy, I will think of some nice woodpiles made elsewhere. I hope you all enjoy this as much as i did.
I'm also repeating an earlier pick I posted showing how pretty just plain big rounds are. Now would I go back and rearrange them all to make a picture?
No. The eastern european ones are seriously nice looking. Do they start at the very top when they go to consume the pile, or just bulldoze the pile down and haul it off?
Sure looks better than giant piles of cut firewood normally does, and seems to be designed to handle heavy snows successfully.

The smell of the wood as it's sawn or split, the clunk of the wood against itself, testing its hardness, and then the smell of the wood when it burns. All good.
And now woodpile art. I'm sure this isn't new but it was for me.

Attachments

• firewood1.jpg
    firewood1.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 161
  • firewood2.jpg
    firewood2.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 171
  • firewood3.jpg
    firewood3.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 155
  • firewood4.jpg
    firewood4.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 164
  • Leydon wood Dec 2012.jpg
    Leydon wood Dec 2012.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 151
   / Grrrrrr #27  
Suprised by another Echo. I took one in trade yesterday that hadnt been started in years. I took it as non runner. I pulled over slowly and it felt good. So I dumped the old mix out. Put in fresh. Pulled on choke till it popped about 3 times, pushed in choke and she took off.

Think I am going to like this little guy. 4500 45cc 11.2lb PHO. Oh the JD yellow colors is a plus because it goes with my echo 8000 in JD colors. 450V 800V

echo4500jd450p3314002.jpg

echo4500jd450p3314001.jpg

echo4500jd450p3314005.jpg

echo4500jd450p3314003.jpg

Big brother
CopyofJD800PP505365009.jpg

CopyofJD800PP505365008.jpg

/ Grrrrrr
too wet and foggy to be out today but did run my saws to the local shop where I bought them and they confirmed I had bought the next larger pitch chain from the other dealer.
Its the "more aggressive?" pitched chain similar to what was on the 24 bar, but sized for my 450's 18.
And it likely mucked with the bar a bit, which luckily I had thoroughly greased. But we both eyeballed the bar and the channel still looked pretty good.
Having two saws with two different pitches is something apparently I have to get used to.

/ Grrrrrr #30  
You guys with the non starting reminds me of the guy who bought a chain saw because the salesman guaranteed it would cut 5 cords of wood a day. A few days later the guy brought it in said the salesman was a lying #$%%^ and no way could he cut more than a cord a day with it. The salesman couldnt understand it and thought if must not be running right so he pull the cord a couple of times and it fires up and runs perfect. The guy jumps up and hollers, "Whats that noise"