Grrrrrr

/ Grrrrrr #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
brand new Echo 600 with a 24 bar bought this morning.
Got it to the barn, and pulled, and pulled, and pulled.
Dead. Almost like the switch was bad. The dealer of course said bring it back, and
suggested that maybe the switch wire came off. ??
Bought this model because I really liked my Echo 450 but needed more bar.
They test ran it, I heard it, but sure didn't cooperate with me. I even put the two saws down together and compared notes; the
switch was up and on. No pop, no cough, nothing. I've owned a lot of saws and can only wonder what I'm doing wrong. Full of fuel, etc.
Will sure find out tomorrow bright and early.

So instead of cutting wood I ran the brush/log grapple for a couple hours in the woods and was perfectly happy doing that.
But tomorrow it would be nice if I got the new saw going and cut up some 24"+ tulip poplar. Should be a lower load way of breaking in the engine, not very hard wood.

/ Grrrrrr
me too, I've found they are remarkably reliable and usually start. Our Echo string trimmer is reasonably quiet, powerful, and while I always seem to be doomed when threading new plastic line in, it does an excellent job. My CS450 saw has been excellent, always started, consistent high performance for a small to medium saw. So I bought the larger one with high expectations. This is why despite my familiarity with saws, it's likely I'm doing something wrong, and that the saw will start in five seconds at the dealer. Or so I hope.

The on-off switch has a cheesy little white label that is not very helpful in relating direction to function. This is why I looked at my smaller Echo saw to make sure I was going the right direction because the saw was acting like it was just turned off. How could the switch wire "come off"? Am curious to know what kind of connector is used. And why anyone, like the assembly guy, would need to be in that area to "knock off" the wire... just curious. :confused3:

I'm sure it will run fine tomorrow, but man, with an extra chain I'm paying close to 600 bucks on a new saw, and the sucker would not start. Not even close. When you have a bad back, a bad neck, and crappy arthritis, yanking on that
handle sure loses its appeal quickly. Yo, I just bought you, how about a little respect here and start...:(

/ Grrrrrr #4  
I know this is dumb,, but is your kickback engaged,, make sure it is forward.. just push it with your hand,, then try again.. Lou

/ Grrrrrr #5  
You know the "I" position on the switch is ignition and the "O" is off. If that isn't the problem, brand new saw, take it back. If the assembler was having a bad day I'd want a different unit.

MarkV

/ Grrrrrr
I know this is dumb,, but is your kickback engaged,, make sure it is forward.. just push it with your hand,, then try again.. Lou

I did. Thanks. Both ways. But I did not know there was a start interlock on that chain brake function. But no matter, I methodically worked my way through all A or B choices. Zip.
that's why I think the power switch is suspect.

/ Grrrrrr #7  
I've had a CS6700 (today's CS680) for 25 years. Only problem I've had was a manual oil pump issue...got a new oil pump and been fine ever since..got it with a 24" bar, but added a 20" Oregan bar/chain for ease of convenience on anything less than 35" across...If it were me, I'd have them take it back and give me new one (make sure you get the serial # on it so that they don't try and tell you its a new one....), or simply tell them you want your $$ back..I'd bet you get a new saw. Good luck.. BobG in VA

/ Grrrrrr
I'm sure I will be thoroughly embarrassed when I find out what dumba** thing I did, but geez, there's only a choke pull and an on/off switch, plus the little button on top which I'm assuming is a compression release.
Not much to get wrong. But after awhile staring at it doesn't get it started, so hopefully today I will come home covered in wood chips and happy to report this is another operator error. But I changed to Echo because my extremely low hour
Stihl would never start (choke spring kept falling out of position), so it is mildly annoying to have this new Echo not start.

I gave the Stihl 210 to my friend who needed a small saw, as I needed a larger one. He figured it out in a couple of hours. And the dealer yesterday, the Echo one, said "oh yeah, Stihl choke spring coming loose". Well...looks like the three dealers I took it to before in and out of warranty didn't know that, two of which were authorized Stihl. No technical service bulletins getting read I guess in this area. So I guess I gave away a "perfectly good" saw to my friend, but I'd rather give him that than something that drives him nuts. And I have cut some big oak (30 inches is seriously big for me) that my Echo 450 ate up and spit out. I went into the shop looking for a 680, thinking I needed that engine size for a 24, but this dealer, who seems more knowledgeable, said in this area they paired the 600 with a 24 and a 680 with a 27 bar. 24 is plenty for me, and if stuff is bigger than that, I likely need help anyway.
My eyes are usually much stronger than my herniated discs.

/ Grrrrrr #9  
I'm sure I will be thoroughly embarrassed when I find out what dumba** thing I did, but geez, there's only a choke pull and an on/off switch, plus the little button on top which I'm assuming is a compression release.
Not much to get wrong. But after awhile staring at it doesn't get it started, so hopefully today I will come home covered in wood chips and happy to report this is another operator error. But I changed to Echo because my extremely low hour
Stihl would never start (choke spring kept falling out of position), so it is mildly annoying to have this new Echo not start.

I gave the Stihl 210 to my friend who needed a small saw, as I needed a larger one. He figured it out in a couple of hours. And the dealer yesterday, the Echo one, said "oh yeah, Stihl choke spring coming loose". Well...looks like the three dealers I took it to before in and out of warranty didn't know that, two of which were authorized Stihl. No technical service bulletins getting read I guess in this area. So I guess I gave away a "perfectly good" saw to my friend, but I'd rather give him that than something that drives him nuts. And I have cut some big oak (30 inches is seriously big for me) that my Echo 450 ate up and spit out. I went into the shop looking for a 680, thinking I needed that engine size for a 24, but this dealer, who seems more knowledgeable, said in this area they paired the 600 with a 24 and a 680 with a 27 bar. 24 is plenty for me, and if stuff is bigger than that, I likely need help anyway.
My eyes are usually much stronger than my herniated discs.

I am clearing my land and I have 3 echo saws , cs-300/cs-520/cs-670 and the 300 is the best all around saw I have ever had but the 670 is a cutting machine just a little heavy but after the 20th tree of the day they are all a little heavy ! I used to be a stihl only guy but the cost of repairs and initial cost changed my mind , When I first got my 670 it was hard to start then I learned after 2 weeks of messing with it when cold 2 pulls full choke then 1 pull no choke and starts every time after that it's a 1 pull start saw every time . I love my Echo saws and have dropped over 600 trees this year with no repairs to any of them !:thumbsup:

/ Grrrrrr
I learned after 2 weeks of messing with it when cold 2 pulls full choke then 1 pull no choke and starts every time after that it's a 1 pull start saw every time .

That's what I learned today. After a second trip to the dealer this morning, I get to the barn, and again, no joy. I could just not believe it.
So I cut what I could with the smaller saw and on the way home I stopped at the dealer again. Last time, strike three.
I asked him to watch me. And he said whoa when I pulled four times with the choke on. Apparently it won't start until the choke is then turned off. Strange but ok if I knew this ahead of time.
Dealer: I told you no choke after two pulls
Me: never heard that
Dealer: I guess I said it too softly.
Groan.
So...just like the not so grumpy old man said, just have to figure it out. Never had an engine start like that, they always fired off on choke, not off choke.
It's relative sensitivity to choke was blamed on emission control. Ok.
If it doesn't start tomorrow morning for me, I'm getting a new one, my mojo is shot with this one.