Cutting crooked

/ Cutting crooked #1  

bill54

Tractor
farmall m
I've got a Jonsered 630 super and it's a real screamer, but a problem has come up that has me puzzled . I can fix any saw but this one is cutting sideways in a half moon shape . My chain was wore out and my bar was slightly bowed so I bought a nae bar& chain combo . They're matched 58 x 3/8 pitch and it still cuts cockeyed . Could it be my rim sprocket ? I've never had this problem before but I'm at my wits end . Any help out there?

/ Cutting crooked #2  
Dull chain.I've even had brand new chain cut crooked.Sharpen and try again.

/ Cutting crooked
I just can't believe it's that. I checked and it's razor sharp, however the depth gauges looked shiny so I checke them and theres plenty of clearance. All that I have'nt done is change the rim sprocket which

Checked that its razor sharp and plenty of clearance on the depth gauges. I'm going to change the sprocket tomorrow, but I don't know why that would matter.

/ Cutting crooked #4  
I had that problem on one of my saws. I noticed when I put the bar on, there was a little collar on the studs holding the bar and cover on. I didn't have the bar sitting perfectly flat on the surface. It was cocked just a smidgen. I just had to make sure it was seated all the way.

/ Cutting crooked #5  
When the chain is on, is there slop or wear that can cause it to angle on the bar one way or the other?
With the chain off, are both bar rails (above the slot) the same height if you put a straight edge perpendicularly across them. Although not with a new bar, I had them wear uneven, and this caused crooked cutting as the chain now sat tipped on them.
Also, are you double sure that both the bar and chain are .058"? And not a .050" chain in a .058 bar?
Or like Yellowhair said, dull or unevenly charpened chain.

/ Cutting crooked
When the chain is on, is there slop or wear that can cause it to angle on the bar one way or the other?
With the chain off, are both bar rails (above the slot) the same height if you put a straight edge perpendicularly across them. Although not with a new bar, I had them wear uneven, and this caused crooked cutting as the chain now sat tipped on them.
Also, are you double sure that both the bar and chain are .058"? And not a .050" chain in a .058 bar?
Or like Yellowhair said, dull or unevenly charpened chain.

Yeah , They're the same on top of that I've got a bar rail grinder and a Foley 108 chain grinder. I touched up the bar but it really din't need it since I just put it on. I do know that my sprocket is worn but, like i said I can't believe thats the problem .

/ Cutting crooked #7  
Yeah , They're the same on top of that I've got a bar rail grinder and a Foley 108 chain grinder. I touched up the bar but it really din't need it since I just put it on. I do know that my sprocket is worn but, like i said I can't believe thats the problem .

Change the sprocket. When one changes the bar and chain, every second time, the sprocket should be changed too. This way one doesn't end up with this type of problem. I believe all Stihl chains come with instructions stating this. I was surprised when I read it- wasn't aware of the periodic changing of the sprockets before that.
Its the only thing you haven't done so far.

/ Cutting crooked #8  
Change the sprocket. When one changes the bar and chain, every second time, the sprocket should be changed too. This way one doesn't end up with this type of problem. I believe all Stihl chains come with instructions stating this. I was surprised when I read it- wasn't aware of the periodic changing of the sprockets before that.
Its the only thing you haven't done so far.

Wow, I haven't ever changed a sprocket and probably cut up a couple hundred chords. I thought it was just getting broke in :D

/ Cutting crooked #9  
I've got a Jonsered 630 super and it's a real screamer, but a problem has come up that has me puzzled . I can fix any saw but this one is cutting sideways in a half moon shape . My chain was wore out and my bar was slightly bowed so I bought a nae bar& chain combo . They're matched 58 x 3/8 pitch and it still cuts cockeyed . Could it be my rim sprocket ? I've never had this problem before but I'm at my wits end . Any help out there?

Bill, the advice of changing out the sprocket is valid. If you have a rim sprocket, there should be "wear" indicators on the sides. If these grooves are worn to their base, its time for a new sprocket. Your old curved bar could have warped your sprocket causing immediate damage to your new bar and chain. Another thing to check for that alot of people do not know about is proper oiling. Make sure all oiling holes line up and/or are not plugged as this would also make a chain cut in a curve. I agree with the poster who stated your bar may be seated incorrectly as another cause so check that.
Make sure all depth gages and rakers are of the same height even if its new. I have even seen factory (or whoever put together a chain) blunders of putting several cutters in a row facing the same direction. It will only take two of these to start a cut wandering. I once had a chain that had 4 cutters in a row facing the same direction.

/ Cutting crooked #10  
Wow, I haven't ever changed a sprocket and probably cut up a couple hundred chords. I thought it was just getting broke in :D

'Broke' being the operative word:eek: Its a maintenance part like the bar and chain, even more so since it drives the chain through the bar, and if the bar is bent or pinched or not oiled properly- well you get the idea....