Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    farmall m

Default Cutting crooked

I've got a Jonsered 630 super and it's a real screamer, but a problem has come up that has me puzzled . I can fix any saw but this one is cutting sideways in a half moon shape . My chain was wore out and my bar was slightly bowed so I bought a nae bar& chain combo . They're matched 58 x 3/8 pitch and it still cuts cockeyed . Could it be my rim sprocket ? I've never had this problem before but I'm at my wits end . Any help out there?

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Ford 5000

Default Re: Cutting crooked

Dull chain.I've even had brand new chain cut crooked.Sharpen and try again.

Tractor
    farmall m

I just can't believe it's that. I checked and it's razor sharp, however the depth gauges looked shiny so I checke them and theres plenty of clearance. All that I have'nt done is change the rim sprocket which

Checked that its razor sharp and plenty of clearance on the depth gauges. I'm going to change the sprocket tomorrow, but I don't know why that would matter.

Tractor
    John Deere 3720

I had that problem on one of my saws. I noticed when I put the bar on, there was a little collar on the studs holding the bar and cover on. I didn't have the bar sitting perfectly flat on the surface. It was cocked just a smidgen. I just had to make sure it was seated all the way.
    JD 3720 with R4s
    X740

Tractor
    JD 5075E

When the chain is on, is there slop or wear that can cause it to angle on the bar one way or the other?
    With the chain off, are both bar rails (above the slot) the same height if you put a straight edge perpendicularly across them. Although not with a new bar, I had them wear uneven, and this caused crooked cutting as the chain now sat tipped on them.
    Also, are you double sure that both the bar and chain are .058"? And not a .050" chain in a .058 bar?
    Or like Yellowhair said, dull or unevenly charpened chain.
    JD5075E, Frontier RC2084 Rotary Cutter, Wallenstein FX65 Skidding Winch

Tractor
    farmall m

Quote Originally Posted by CobyRupert View Post
    When the chain is on, is there slop or wear that can cause it to angle on the bar one way or the other?
    With the chain off, are both bar rails (above the slot) the same height if you put a straight edge perpendicularly across them. Although not with a new bar, I had them wear uneven, and this caused crooked cutting as the chain now sat tipped on them.
    Also, are you double sure that both the bar and chain are .058"? And not a .050" chain in a .058 bar?
    Or like Yellowhair said, dull or unevenly charpened chain.
    Yeah , They're the same on top of that I've got a bar rail grinder and a Foley 108 chain grinder. I touched up the bar but it really din't need it since I just put it on. I do know that my sprocket is worn but, like i said I can't believe thats the problem .

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by bill54 View Post
    Yeah , They're the same on top of that I've got a bar rail grinder and a Foley 108 chain grinder. I touched up the bar but it really din't need it since I just put it on. I do know that my sprocket is worn but, like i said I can't believe thats the problem .
    Change the sprocket. When one changes the bar and chain, every second time, the sprocket should be changed too. This way one doesn't end up with this type of problem. I believe all Stihl chains come with instructions stating this. I was surprised when I read it- wasn't aware of the periodic changing of the sprockets before that.
    Its the only thing you haven't done so far.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Tractor
    John Deere 3720

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote machine View Post
    Change the sprocket. When one changes the bar and chain, every second time, the sprocket should be changed too. This way one doesn't end up with this type of problem. I believe all Stihl chains come with instructions stating this. I was surprised when I read it- wasn't aware of the periodic changing of the sprockets before that.
    Its the only thing you haven't done so far.
    Wow, I haven't ever changed a sprocket and probably cut up a couple hundred chords. I thought it was just getting broke in
    JD 3720 with R4s
    X740

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Quote Originally Posted by bill54 View Post
    I've got a Jonsered 630 super and it's a real screamer, but a problem has come up that has me puzzled . I can fix any saw but this one is cutting sideways in a half moon shape . My chain was wore out and my bar was slightly bowed so I bought a nae bar& chain combo . They're matched 58 x 3/8 pitch and it still cuts cockeyed . Could it be my rim sprocket ? I've never had this problem before but I'm at my wits end . Any help out there?
    Bill, the advice of changing out the sprocket is valid. If you have a rim sprocket, there should be "wear" indicators on the sides. If these grooves are worn to their base, its time for a new sprocket. Your old curved bar could have warped your sprocket causing immediate damage to your new bar and chain. Another thing to check for that alot of people do not know about is proper oiling. Make sure all oiling holes line up and/or are not plugged as this would also make a chain cut in a curve. I agree with the poster who stated your bar may be seated incorrectly as another cause so check that.
    Make sure all depth gages and rakers are of the same height even if its new. I have even seen factory (or whoever put together a chain) blunders of putting several cutters in a row facing the same direction. It will only take two of these to start a cut wandering. I once had a chain that had 4 cutters in a row facing the same direction.

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by Deere Dude View Post
    Wow, I haven't ever changed a sprocket and probably cut up a couple hundred chords. I thought it was just getting broke in

'Broke' being the operative word Its a maintenance part like the bar and chain, even more so since it drives the chain through the bar, and if the bar is bent or pinched or not oiled properly- well you get the idea....
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast