Husky XP 550 Muffler mod completed.

/ Husky XP 550 Muffler mod completed. #1  

Tollster

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, BX23
After about a month and a half I decided to modify the muffler. I found throttle response has improved, top end has no limit, and no loss in torque. The autotune adjusted very fast to the point that I only saw improvement, and that was within the first half tank if that. With this mod I have found myself backing off threw top end when not needed just to save wear and tear on the rings.
I honestly did not think it could not be improved upon. Took about 15 minutes, muffler hex nuts where easy access using a "T" handle, only had to remove top air cover.
8301181289_cc10212bef_c.jpg

Although not visible in this image, the hole is tear dropped shape, the narrow portion is hidden by the heat shield in this image
8301176733_6a7b7a5a39_c.jpg

I was able to retain the spark arrestor screen for a clean look, it is louder than stock, how much is hard to say, but I would say its 1.5 times as loud. This has been repainted using BBQ flat black, I can not feel any heat being projected onto the brake handle or air filter cover, which was a concern I had since this it not under the deflector.
8302231250_3d5fed942f_c.jpg

I used my dremal cone burr for all work, no drill bits, as I did not want to twist the metal, the cone burr cleared the heat deflector with very minimal damage only do to human error (if you won at operation when you where a kid, you're set!), the barrel burr would not clear the heat shield, only the cone burr would.
8302229656_7695ab39a5_c.jpg

Tol

Last edited:
   / Husky XP 550 Muffler mod completed. #2  
Cool! Nice clean work...

/ Husky XP 550 Muffler mod completed. #3  
Yes, what Bluegill said!!! Nice job....neater than my own (I used a drill first, then cleaned up with a burr)

How much have you used your saw? I just finished tank #13, and I modified the muffler before I even started the saw. It has power to the point that I am literally smiling as I work!! I have not been splitting any wood; rather, I have placed the rounds on a stump and "noodled" them into some of the prettiest, easiest-stacking firewood you have ever seen. FAST. :D :D :D

/ Husky XP 550 Muffler mod completed.
Its been two weeks since I ran it, the snow is about a foot deep so I figured I would wait till it melts down some. I tried to get up to the property today and fell short due to the deep snow. I will focus on burning the piles I have made before I cut anymore.
I love my new saw and so happy I got it, could not have asked for more, its just what I needed and I love the light weight and the power to weight ratio, my back can tell a difference after a full day. I am running a stihl full chisel on my 18" bar, some of the shavings are close to 2" long on the hemlocks.
I am on my 2nd can of 2.5 gallon premix

/ Husky XP 550 Muffler mod completed. #5  
Its been two weeks since I ran it, the snow is about a foot deep so I figured I would wait till it melts down some. I tried to get up to the property today and fell short due to the deep snow. I will focus on burning the piles I have made before I cut anymore.
I love my new saw and so happy I got it, could not have asked for more, its just what I needed and I love the light weight and the power to weight ratio, my back can tell a difference after a full day. I am running a stihl full chisel on my 18" bar, some of the shavings are close to 2" long on the hemlocks.
I am on my 2nd can of 2.5 gallon premix

I run an 18" bar too, and find the balance is perfect. Quite a step up from my old 445 xtorq!!! I'm pondering sending it out for a porting job; I would buy a 562XP, but times are a little hard.

I notice that I can have the bar completely buried in hardwood (I'm cutting cherry now for next year) and not bog the saw at all. Really impressive! And I think it still has a little more "tightening up"to go as far as break-in goes.........gonna give porting some serious consideration. Once I'm done with the saw for the season that is....;)

Oh, and the 550 is the same size and weight as the old 445. It's like I'm in some other dimension where saws are twice as fast or something!!!

/ Husky XP 550 Muffler mod completed. #6  
Any idea how the 562 would respond to a MM? Id imagine about the same as the 550 since they are so similar?

/ Husky XP 550 Muffler mod completed. #7  
Any idea how the 562 would respond to a MM? Id imagine about the same as the 550 since they are so similar?

I did a MM on my 562 for a good gain in power. Although it really didn't need it. ;)

/ Husky XP 550 Muffler mod completed. #8  

I looked it upon AS, one builder said he takes the muffler apart and removes the baffle, then welds it back together. I only read the one guy's opinion, nobody else talked specifics. Seems like it might be more complicated than the 550 MM....? As far as I know the results are similar, most 562 owners say the saw will cut with a 372 no problem in up to 24" wood(!). And that's w/out touching the muffler. Someday...... :D

/ Husky XP 550 Muffler mod completed. #9  
How does the mod itself work? Same as the 550? Got any photos? :)