Metal Spring came though the boot of my Stihl 009, Repair question.

/ Metal Spring came though the boot of my Stihl 009, Repair question. #1  

JOE G

Gold Member
Tractor
Husqvarna / John Deere
Hi I have a Stihl 009, Today I took all the saw's out and fired them up, Haven't run a few of them in a month or so, Well They all fired right up but I noticed a little spark coming from the boot of the 009 and sure enough the metal spring was sticking out of it, the saw ran like a champ, I have a new one coming along with the spring.

I see that if I wanted to replace the whole wire I would have to replace the whole coil. Is there any tricks to getting it back on? Does the spring poke though the side of the plug wire? Do I need to tape or do anything to it? is it obvious which way the spring goes into the boot? Thanks

/ Metal Spring came though the boot of my Stihl 009, Repair question. #2  
Most coil wires can be removed from the coil, there is a metal screw on the coil that the wire is threaded onto.
The spring will only fit in the cap one way, install the cap on the wire first, use soapy water if its tight, pierce the wire with the hook on the spring and crimp it over, pull the boot down over the spring and you may need to work it into place with needle nose pliers.

/ Metal Spring came though the boot of my Stihl 009, Repair question. #3  
You sure picked a bear to start learning about plug wires on. Couldn’t you have picked something easier?

All joking aside; most chainsaw plug wires are as you have surmised, permanently attached to the coil. The spring you are referencing is in all likelihood constructed of stainless steel, it is a round circular coil with a male protrusion. The coil part snaps onto the top of the spark plug and the male extension inserts into the center of the plug wire.

I have only been successful in repairing a couple of these. In those I repaired I first inserted the male extension into the center of the plug wire. I then lubricated the end of the wire and boot with STP. Careful if you use STP, that stuff is slick. I then pushed the wire and steel coil into the boot.

Some auto supply houses have a screw on boot. Coat the wire with black RTV and screw on, easy and simple. You can also replace the end with one of the compression types. Just be careful where you put your fingers when the motor is running or if the plug is inside an enclosure, apply a little tape.

Last edited:
   / Metal Spring came though the boot of my Stihl 009, Repair question.
I have done plenty of auto wires but those we crimp, On my Quads/Dirtbikes and snowmobiles I always just replaced the wire, I am sure Ill figure it out but figured id get some tips while I waited.

/ Metal Spring came though the boot of my Stihl 009, Repair question. #5  
Old motorcycles used the same type ends. Make sure the stainless female gets to the center of the plug wire. Soap it up and pull the boot over. A friend has a small babyfood jar full of these from back in his flat tracking triumph days.

/ Metal Spring came though the boot of my Stihl 009, Repair question. #6  
I have the same saw. I got it for free because it wouldn't start. Turned out to be a worn out spark plug lead, shorting on the block. A little of that blue silicone tape fixed it perfectly. Seems to be about the only insulating tape that can stand up to over 800 degrees. It has worked fine for years, and this is with the wire touching the cylinder.