Jonsered chain saws

/ Jonsered chain saws #1  

motreefarmer

Tractor
1974 IH 574, 1988 Case IH 585
I've been looking at Jonsered model 2250 or 2245 chain saws. I'm looking for one to replace my worn out Stihl 025. I see on Stihl's website that the MS250 is rated as a homeowners model. I've used my 025 hard since '01. I have a older Stihl 034 Super that I've using lately since the 025 quit. The 034 is a great saw, but it's heavy. So, has anyone out there have a Jonsered saw? What's your impression of them? If I did go back to a Stihl saw, it would be probably a MS270. The sad part is that the local Stihl dealer folded up last fall and now the closest dealer is 25 miles away. The Jonsered dealer is in the same town. I understand that Jonsered is made by Huskvarna and also that Stihl cheapen up their homeowners saws to compete with the lower price saws.

/ Jonsered chain saws #2  
I've personally never used a Jonsered saw but a neighbor down the road has one and it has never let him down. From what I hear about them people are very happy with their quality and reliability.

/ Jonsered chain saws #3  
I'm on my second Jonsered. My first one was a CS 2149. Light and snappy, good for most firewood cutting. At one point, when the opportunity arose to get some free (already downed) firewood arose, my dad and I jumped on it, only to find out that the trees were too big to cut, even from both sides, I went out and bought a bigger saw, this time, a CS 2159C. Much more power and a bigger bar, but still not too big for general use. My dad bought my other saw from me. They both have great power to weight ratios and have cut many cords of firewood.

I'm very happy with both of them.

Joe

/ Jonsered chain saws #4  
I've had a Jonsered 2036 since Jly 99. It's done a heck-of-a-lot of work in those 13 years and is still going strong. A lot was on trees that were too large for the length of the bar and had to be tackled from both sides. The only problem was wearing down the drive sprocket until it was almost round and wouldn't drive the chain. Prior to this machine I had a 2040 for about 5 years until I got sawdust in the fuel filter and it ran lean for quite some time before it seized. The cost of a new piston and barrel was almost the same as the 2036.

I have had no experience with other makes except the neighbour had a Stihl which he swore by, until he backed over it with his forklift. He replaced it with the same model but I never let him forget it. :D

/ Jonsered chain saws #5  
Can't go wrong with Jonsered. Very good saws!

/ Jonsered chain saws #6  
Been told they are just a husqvarna off brand, not that thats a bad thing?

/ Jonsered chain saws #7  
I had a Jonsered saw back in 1982 and remember it being a good saw , and have always had Stihl saws for many years good saws just expensive to fix ,Now for the last few years I have been using Echo's and the cs-400 is a fantastic saw for all around use and I recently bought another just because of the 1st one also have a cs-520 and a cs-6700 all have been trouble free and I would recommend them wholeheartedly . Now if I can just teach my girl how to run that second 400 while I'm skidding the logs ... 001.jpg002.jpg

/ Jonsered chain saws
Thanks for the input guys. Come to think of it, the Stihl dealers around here change hands every so often. The Jonsered dealer has been the same dealer since the 70's. The Jonsered is looking better all the time. I am leaning toward the 2250 saw as it has a decompression release button. Same weight as the smaller saw, but slightly bigger engine. Also, a little more money (sigh).
Once again, thanks for the input.

/ Jonsered chain saws #9  
I've had a Jonsered for 25 years, it's never been back to the shop for anything. I use it several times a year, but not like a commercial guy would. I keep three or four chains sharpened and change them out when they begin to dull. One chain has been sharpened so may times there is hardly any top plate on the cutters. I have always used synthetic oil and premium fuel per the instructions. I am amazed that it still has good compression, and the bar is not worn out.

/ Jonsered chain saws #10  
I have a Jonsered that must be 20+ yrs old. It is bullet proof. I don't know if they are still made the same way now, but if so, they are a good value for sure.