Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #21  
When it comes to chainsaws, stick to the majore brands: Stihl, Husky, johnsered, Echo. All build great saws. Best policy is: Dealer, dealer, dealer. The best saw in the world is useless if you can't get it serviced easily. Don't buy any saw at a big box store.

Husky here was a no brainer to "don't buy". Every dealer I went to in a 50 mile radius was a rental shop and if you weren't renting something they didn't have time to talk to you. Saws seemed to be a "fall back" item "when we don't have something better to be doing". I am of the same opinion of any brand being sold at rental outfits - Echo is also off my list because of that.

Of course Stihl is on the "must buy". the dealer is only 1/2 mile from my house :).

Stihl 310 is a a great homeowner saw, jusst a smidgeon below a pro-grade. I got mine right at $300 IIRC back when they first came out.Dunno what they are now but well above that.

Harry K

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #23  
...I am of the same opinion of any brand being sold at rental outfits...

That's crazy talk. With in 15 miles of me there are at least three Stihl dealers, the best out of them all is the rental place. They also rent about every piece of Stihl equipment known to man, so stuff like a pole saw that I might use for 4 hours a year I'm able to rent instead of buy.

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #24  
I think i might have found a dealer who i can get a Husky 550XP for right around 500 bucks. Worth the extra hundred to get the bottom pro line saw?

That's an excellent price for a GREAT saw......don't think it's the bottom of the line though. More power than the 55, much lighter and easier to handle. And, as an XP it will last the firewood-cutting homeowner a lifetime. I have one that I have run almost 20 tanks through. It took several tanks for the saw to break in and develop it's power; it got stronger and stronger with each tank of gas. It's a little beast of a saw, eats whatever I throw at it and loves it. I did a muffler mod on it (warranty be damned!) which picks the power up quite a bit and takes about 10-15 minutes. You will not be sorry you got a 550XP!!! :D

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question
I wanted to thank everyone who helped me make my saw choice. I didnt end up going pro saw.
I looked over my land figured out how much i will cut a year give or take. I have a ton of trimming and clean up to do but no dropping any full size trees for a long time. But the limbs I'm dealing with can be 22" thick.
I ended up with a Rancher 460.

Austin Power and Sports in Austin MN has awesome prices ANYONE looking for a saw go there its a small shop owned by a family. Nicest person I've ever dealt with.

Here is what i ended up with.
Husqavarna Rancher 460 with a 24" bar. (I needed the big bar for a couple big projects) I paid 430 for it brand new. SUPER happy.

They also have the Rancher 455 with a 20" bar for 350.
I"m going to pick up a 18" bar this spring for it that way i have the best of both worlds. Big bar and small fast limbing bar.
I've attached a picture of it when i picked my son up from his grandmas today.
I know its not pro but i didn't feel i cut enough to step up anymore. i dont heat the house with wood its just for cleanup use.

Thanks again everyone i'm super happy. the 460 is lighter and more powerful than the 455 win win.
20130130_114923.jpg

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #26  
The Misses let you bring that thing in the house? Looks like a great saw. I am a big fan of Husky's myself. Just remember to run the fuel out before letting it sit for long and it will last you a long time. Consider chainsaw chaps safety glasses and ear plugs while you are at it if you haven't already.

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #27  
Nice looking saw.

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #28  
Nice. You have some great prices at that dealer.

Actually the 460 should weigh about the same as the 455 PHO. Same saw just bigger bore cylinder.

460 60.3 cc Weight (excl. cutting equipment) 12.79 lbs

455 55.5 cc Weight (excl. cutting equipment) 12.8 lbs

Lot better then this though.

290 56.5 cc POWERHEAD WEIGHT (13.0 lbs.)

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question
Okay now THATS a saw!
Ported and polished?