Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question
I am also 6' 3" thats another reason i wanted teh 24" bar less bending over when cutting little things.
18" bar is for limbing
I also have a Stuhl 010AV i'm working on fixing up for my up in the tree cutting saw its small light easy to handle.

I agree with the fuel. i normall try to always burn what i have off within a month of mixing it. always use 92 with full synth 2 stroke oil.
If it goes over a month i'll add a little seafoam to the fuel to keep it good.

So when your going to let it sit for a few weeks empty the tank and run it till it turns off so the carb is empty?

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #42  
Not sure if this was mentioned before , but regarding Stihl saw prices . Those are set by Stihl , thus you will never see them at a " Box " Store . I have 4 dealers within 60 miles , All had my 441 magnum for the same price , except the California store had to add sales tax . Now they may throw in something else too entice the sale , but base price will be the same regardless of location . One of the local dealers is a Farm Store , similar to Tractor Supply , They also sell Husky's , as my brother bought his there . If I am not mistaken , Stihl dealers also have to be a service / repair facility ???

Fred H.

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #43  
I wanted to thank everyone who helped me make my saw choice. I didnt end up going pro saw.
I looked over my land figured out how much i will cut a year give or take. I have a ton of trimming and clean up to do but no dropping any full size trees for a long time. But the limbs I'm dealing with can be 22" thick.
I ended up with a Rancher 460.

Austin Power and Sports in Austin MN has awesome prices ANYONE looking for a saw go there its a small shop owned by a family. Nicest person I've ever dealt with.

Here is what i ended up with.
Husqavarna Rancher 460 with a 24" bar. (I needed the big bar for a couple big projects) I paid 430 for it brand new. SUPER happy.

They also have the Rancher 455 with a 20" bar for 350.
I"m going to pick up a 18" bar this spring for it that way i have the best of both worlds. Big bar and small fast limbing bar.
I've attached a picture of it when i picked my son up from his grandmas today.
I know its not pro but i didn't feel i cut enough to step up anymore. i dont heat the house with wood its just for cleanup use.

Thanks again everyone i'm super happy. the 460 is lighter and more powerful than the 455 win win.
View attachment 300497

Just my opinion: The difference between a 18" and 20" bar is pretty minimal. I would go with a 16" for limbing but it wouild depend more on how the saw balances.

Ideal, of course, is two saws the 450 plus a smaller power head with a 16 or even 14" bar. Swinging a heavy saw limbing gets tiring in a hurry.

Lot of good used small saws on Craig's List and Ebay but one can get burned buying one sight unseen. Especially don't buy one that was sold in a big box store.

Harry K

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #44  
Not sure if this was mentioned before , but regarding Stihl saw prices . Those are set by Stihl , thus you will never see them at a " Box " Store . I have 4 dealers within 60 miles , All had my 441 magnum for the same price , except the California store had to add sales tax . Now they may throw in something else too entice the sale , but base price will be the same regardless of location . One of the local dealers is a Farm Store , similar to Tractor Supply , They also sell Husky's , as my brother bought his there . If I am not mistaken , Stihl dealers also have to be a service / repair facility ???

Fred H.

Been meaning to mention the "extras" The one I always ask for is an extra loop - always got one.

Harry K

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #45  
The information on chain used on a bar _should_ be stamped on the tail of the bar, e.g., 3/8 (or .325) 050 84. That is off the tail of my 25" bar. The 84 number is the number of driver links needed in the chain for that bar. Some bars will have that inor stamped 72 DL (my20" bars)

You can't swap between the 3/8 and .325 unless you change the drive sprocket.

Harry K

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #46  
So when your going to let it sit for a few weeks empty the tank and run it till it turns off so the carb is empty?
That is the best policy I know of until they wake up and stop putting corn juice into every grade of gas. I have lost two two cycle engines to this idiocy and I am more then a bit bitter about it.

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #47  
i bought the ms 290 farm boss 4-5 years ago.. used mostly for firewood, but have taken down many 15-20" oak trees without hesitation.im just a homeowner who lves power equipment. but this saw is worth every penny. no regrets whatso ever:thumbsup:

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #48  
Is there consensus that the Husqvarna and Echo saws (both good brands) sold by the box stores are somehow different models from those sold by equipment or mower shops? The ones I have seen sure look the same to me.

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #49  
I'll second the MS 290 saw comment. Great saw for most projects.

You got a great saw and a good looking kid.