Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #1  

BlackRaptor

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
Well my Craftsman 18" 42cc POS has made me mad for the last time. it just doesn't have the snort anymore to sink the full chain into a log. I have tons of HUGE hardwood maple that need trimming some of the limbs are 24"

Craftsman will be a nice light limbing saw for the remainder of its life. it runs good just no power.

I was looking at the Husky 455 for 399.00 at fleet far and the Stihl Farm Boss MS290. and after tons of reading i've deicded on the Stihl. Little more power few little differences i liked also my JD dealer i got my 2520 and 3320 from sell them, They said if i buy 3 qt's of 2 stroke oil with the saw they will add a 2nd year warrranty which seems like a sweet deal.
So this isn't saw VS saw both are amazing saws. What my question is what are people paying for the Farm Boss? anyone seeing them come in at 400 flat like the husky?
Thanks guys
Chad

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #2  
With a 20 inch bar, $399.95 plus tax. If you go to stihlusa.com and find a local dealer you can probably get an online quote from that dealer. That's how I came up with the $399.95 figure.

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #3  
Most people selling Stihl have a hard time coming off retail price. Got the saws I need but will pick up a 88 if one ever comes up at auction.

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #4  
I have worked on the 455 and 290. I have also cut with both. Give me the 455 hands down.

If you need dealer support. You better go where you trust and have your saws worked on.

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #5  
Most people selling Stihl have a hard time coming off retail price. Got the saws I need but will pick up a 88 if one ever comes up at auction.

I agree, the three closest places that sell Stihl are all the exact same price. The one that cuts me deals on everything else under the sun won't budge on his Stihl stuff, says he literally can't. He did throw in a 2 gallon gas can though!

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #6  
I liked the 290 when I was shopping. It is a good saw I think.

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question
Thanks guys.
I got a quote for 415 VS the 399.00 for the Husky.
Going to try for 400 flat tomorrow one of those i'll walk out with it right now. hopefully it works.
The dealer backing up the saw being the same my 3320 would get its warranty work from is a huge selling point the Fleet Farm saw i would have to find a husky dealer to work on it and i would be a no name Ned wanting him to prioritize my Warranty work.
Anyone know what the Husky comes with for wannenty? Guessing its the normal 1 year?

Also i'm far from new to saws. I'm 30 been cutting wood since i was 12 with a gas powered chainsaws. Started with a Olympic 12 inch bar trim saw. Have a Stihl with a 16" bar that needs repair throttle cable is broken. Also have an Olympic 20" bar thats shot but was worked hard for 20 years. than the POS chinese craftsman.
I can work on the saws but figured having a dealer to do any if needed warranty work would be nice.

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #9  
Sthil, Husky or Johnsered but not those sold at 'Big Box Stores' as those are consumer or weekend DIY quality.
Also the franchised repair shops simply do not want to support the consumer versions.

As to Husky warranty' my crankshaft separated just behind the clutch. Clean break, 5 years past any warranty while cutting pine.
I called the Canadian distributor to point out a machining flaw (non radius shoulder) and they GAVE me a new FREE crankshaft!, so I also purchased seals, rings and carb kit to give it a total update.
Now they might just have had a hidden warranty that I was not aware of but sure cant complain.

/ Buying a new Saw tomorrow quick question #10  
Not on your list.. but since you cut a lot of wood and are experienced, have a look at the XP's from husky, particularly the new autotunes. I got a 562xp and absolutely love it. Best saw Ive ever ran. Probably a bit over your budget however, but something to consider.