Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ???

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #12  
I have been wanting a large Stihl saw for some time now. I have always heard good things about the older 044 magnum. Several local loggers rave about the 046 magnum. I began looking at my local dealer and found that the 044 and 046 had been replaced with the MS440 and MS460. Today, I went in to look and my dealer said that the MS440 and MS460 were being replaced with a MS441 and MS461. Now Im really confused. My question is:

basically the same saws just new numbers reflecting year made with possible improvements.

What are some major differenced / similarities in all of these and If you were looking for a really reliable large saw,

I would not say they are a "really large saw" they are a mid pro saw, VERY reliable, if you're not a full time logger they'll do way more then you need. If your looking to take down a red wood forest you may want something bigger :D

would you try to find an older model no longer in production, or would you just purchase a new model? Any and all advice is welcomed. thanks

The problem with used saws, just like anything else, is "why". Why is it being sold, is it a headache machine, was it abused, how much use did it have, and so on....... With saws, unless I know the person selling, I go new, way to many folks out there abuse chainsaws IMO, or just simply don't know how to properly treat them.. Stihl IMO is probably the best saw made, NOT writting there aren't other good brands, just relaying my own experience. If your looking into the 400 models you will be impressed.

Questions if you don't mind; Do you have a saw now, and what type of saw is it? What are your plans for the use of it? Just curious, this may help to narrow your search down.

If you do get a new saw I strongly recommend a proper muffler mod no matter which model or brand you get. I have done this to all of my saws, it not only improves performance but can add hours to running time.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #13  
Another thing is how much experience do you have? The theory is I have the biggest and baddest to impress if you don't have the skills can get you in trouble. Not trying to say you don't know what you are doing but the bigger saw can jump back and bite you in a hurry. Also what are you going to be cutting most of the time? My Husky top handle with a 16" bar saw gets the most use out of all of my saws. Probably the next most used out of my saws is the my Stihl 026Pro. After that would be my 044 and 046 saws with 24 or 28" bars. The least used but most fun is my Husky 2100 with 28" or 36" bars. If you don't need new go with used saws in what ever size you want and save some money. Stick with Stihl and Husky for top end saws.

Last edited:
   / Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #14  
When buying chainsaws, as long as you stick with the known brands, it is not the name on the saw that counts, it is "is there a dealer near you?". Arguing Stihl vs Husky, etc. is just as juvenile as Ford vs Chevy.

Harry K

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #15  
Another thing is how much experience do you have? The theory is I have the biggest and baddest to impress if you don't have the skills can get you in trouble. Not trying to say you don't know what you are doing but the bigger saw can jump back and bite you in a hurry. Also what are you going to be cutting most of the time? My Husky top handle with a 16" bar saw gets the most use out of all of my saws. Probably the next the next most used out of my saws is the my Stihl 026Pro. After that would be my 044 and 046 saws with 24 or 28" bars. The least used but most fun is my Husky 2100 with 28" or 36" bars. If you don't need new go with used saws in what ever size you want and save some money. Stick with Stihl and Husky for top end saws.

Yep, I invited an acquaintance to cut some wood for himself in a woodlot I had rights to. He showed up with a big Stihl (I don't recall the size now), with muffler mod. Big bad saw but we were cutting stuff that was 24" at the big end andmost of it was in the 18" range. I was outcutting him with my 361 and was ableo to be comfortable with muffs on. When he fired up that monster with no muffler, I found something to do "way over there". Never invited him again but I did point out to him that while he had a big bad saw there wasn't a tree in this part of the state big enough to need it.

Harry K

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #16  
:thumbsup: My point exactly Sir.

Yep, I invited an acquaintance to cut some wood for himself in a woodlot I had rights to. He showed up with a big Stihl (I don't recall the size now), with muffler mod. Big bad saw but we were cutting stuff that was 24" at the big end andmost of it was in the 18" range. I was outcutting him with my 361 and was ableo to be comfortable with muffs on. When he fired up that monster with no muffler, I found something to do "way over there". Never invited him again but I did point out to him that while he had a big bad saw there wasn't a tree in this part of the state big enough to need it.

Harry K

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #17  

Harry K
Big saws are not necessarily fast saws. Many smaller saws out cut their larger brethren in smaller wood. Big saws turn slower but are torque monsters. Big saws are for long bars being buried in thick wood. I had a 28" bar on a 385 Husky and in 14-15" wood, my 357 would eat it for breakfast.

Last edited:
   / Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #18  
I have been wanting a large Stihl saw for some time now. I have always heard good things about the older 044 magnum. Several local loggers rave about the 046 magnum. I began looking at my local dealer and found that the 044 and 046 had been replaced with the MS440 and MS460. Today, I went in to look and my dealer said that the MS440 and MS460 were being replaced with a MS441 and MS461. Now Im really confused. My question is:

What are some major differenced / similarities in all of these and If you were looking for a really reliable large saw, would you try to find an older model no longer in production, or would you just purchase a new model? Any and all advice is welcomed. thanks

I'd opt for the new saw unless you can find an 046 magnum at a garage sale in pristine condition. As far as which new saw to get, in my experience using this family of saws, the 460's models excel in thicker wood and are a bit faster when dropping. A 20 " bar on a 460 series does not do it justice in my mind so I would equate what bar I want to what chainsaw to get. If you are sticking with a 20" bar, the 441 is all you'll need and is a smoother running saw to use all day and more of an all arounder. These saws weigh about the same so its mostly how much to spend. The 441 will cut as well as an older 460 in my opinion much like a current Husky 365 cutting as well as an older 372.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #19  
When buying chainsaws, as long as you stick with the known brands, it is not the name on the saw that counts, it is "is there a dealer near you?". Arguing Stihl vs Husky, etc. is just as juvenile as Ford vs Chevy.

Harry K

Good advice. I was a professional and if you went by what i had in my hands as the best saw, you'd be making a big mistake. When doing production timbering, to me the best saw was the one i could buy today and put it to work.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #20  
He showed up with a big Stihl (I don't recall the size now), with muffler mod. When he fired up that monster with no muffler, I found something to do "way over there".
Harry K

Which was it, a muffler mod or no muffler :confused: ? I have done all my saws muffler mods and if done correct there is not that much of a difference in sound, just curious.