Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ???

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #21  
20 20, I'm interested in doing a muffler mod on a MS391. What is the correct way? Something more than removing the screen. Is there a youtube video? I've found some that show the results but not the how to.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ???
Questions if you don't mind; Do you have a saw now, and what type of saw is it? What are your plans for the use of it? Just curious, this may help to narrow your search down.

If you do get a new saw I strongly recommend a proper muffler mod no matter which model or brand you get. I have done this to all of my saws, it not only improves performance but can add hours to running time.

I currently have 5 saws (I know ...ridiculous but I purchased 2 for myself over a 5 year period {ms250 and ms260 pro}. I purchased an older 025 to let workers use so they wouldn't destroy my saws. I got two more 025's later {one when my dad died and another from a friend needing some money}. Recently, an employee of mine wanted a large saw but couldn't afford it. I told him I would buy one and let him work it off on my place. It is a ms440 magnum with a 28' bar. We are using it to cut down and cut up the numerous dead large oak trees that have died over the past 2 years. After seeing that big saw in action, and using it just a little bit, I decided I need one. I am by no means a chainsaw expert but I have been using one for 25 years recreationally (cutting firewook, cutting trees off fences and out of trails, etc) I am very active in wildlife management and just this weekend I was cutting fire lanes in preparation for a burn later this month.
IMG_20130111_165705.jpg
IMG_20130120_102211.jpg
IMG_20130127_162503.jpg
IMG_20130127_165115.jpg
IMG_20130202_164153.jpg
IMG_20130202_105028.jpg

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #23  
Well that hollow tree didn't take much of a saw did it! Nice pic's.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ???
Well that hollow tree didn't take much of a saw did it! Nice pic's.

No, it cut like hot butter. This particular tree was dead, hollow, leaning over my fire break and full of leaves to boot. You couldn't custom design a better punk stick. The contractor doing my burn said most of his problems stem from hollow trees. Fire will sneak in at the hollow base and go undetected. It will smolder until it finally ignites and climb up the hollow. Often times it will fall across the fire break and that's when you got problems. Also got a couple of potential taxidermy backdrops out of the deal.

IMG_20130202_163909.jpg

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #25  
Wow JD 4520, that shocks me that Stihl is outperformed by Husky, and that Husky is used by the Pro's. :confused3: maybe it's that way out on the left coast but not out east at all. A guy I work with has Husky and I have Stihl. We have an ongoing friendly feud passing the Pros on jobs and seeing what they use. He will even concede the Pros out here use Stihl 8 out of 10 times, if not more.

All the logging reality shows in TV I think are all Stihl, if not I haven't seen the shows using Husky yet. I think it's initially brand preference, both of their line of Pro saws are good. But as far as longevity, hands down Stihl, period, period period. End of story.

Look on Ebay and CL and see what you have to pay for a well used Stihl 044 or any other of their Pro saws that are 20 PLUS years old. The only 20+ year old Husqavarna saws your gonna find are gonna be parts saws or half the price of the Stihl if running. Jump to Ebay and check it out.

As far as the models I would be surprised if you could find a new 440, they are far superior to the 441. The 441 has been out for a few years now and replaced the 440.

I have a well used 1984 Stihl 034 AV Super. I got it used 20 years ago. When its time to get the 441 I will have no problem getting $200 plus for it out here.

Both are good brands, maybe out west it's different, not sure how it is in Texas, but that is the way it is here.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #26  
Wow JD 4520, that shocks me that Stihl is outperformed by Husky, and that Husky is used by the Pro's. :confused3: maybe it's that way out on the left coast but not out east at all. A guy I work with has Husky and I have Stihl. We have an ongoing friendly feud passing the Pros on jobs and seeing what they use. He will even concede the Pros out here use Stihl 8 out of 10 times, if not more.

All the logging reality shows in TV I think are all Stihl, if not I haven't seen the shows using Husky yet. I think it's initially brand preference, both of their line of Pro saws are good. But as far as longevity, hands down Stihl, period, period period. End of story.

Look on Ebay and CL and see what you have to pay for a well used Stihl 044 or any other of their Pro saws that are 20 PLUS years old. The only 20+ year old Husqavarna saws your gonna find are gonna be parts saws or half the price of the Stihl if running. Jump to Ebay and check it out.

As far as the models I would be surprised if you could find a new 440, they are far superior to the 441. The 441 has been out for a few years now and replaced the 440.

I have a well used 1984 Stihl 034 AV Super. I got it used 20 years ago. When its time to get the 441 I will have no problem getting $200 plus for it out here.

Both are good brands, maybe out west it's different, not sure how it is in Texas, but that is the way it is here.

Really? I cut N.E. wood as a professional logger for 30 years. Any saw you see 20 years old is a saw not used by a professional. I felt fortunate if I got 2 years out of any saw no matter what the brand. What you see professionals use is the saw most available with the largest incentive. If anyone thinks a professional has the luxury of "brand loyalty" they don't know what they're talking about. When you need saws to make a living with, any professional saw is good with the best one being the saw you could buy today.

Last edited:
   / Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #27  
Stihl name brings good money on the used market. Thats why I like them. Most loggers I know use Huskys BTY in OH MI TN etc.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #28  
Yep, I invited an acquaintance to cut some wood for himself in a woodlot I had rights to. He showed up with a big Stihl (I don't recall the size now), with muffler mod. Big bad saw but we were cutting stuff that was 24" at the big end andmost of it was in the 18" range. I was outcutting him with my 361 and was ableo to be comfortable with muffs on. When he fired up that monster with no muffler, I found something to do "way over there". Never invited him again but I did point out to him that while he had a big bad saw there wasn't a tree in this part of the state big enough to need it.

Harry K

Right, few people other than pros need the big saws. Even then you will notice they often run shorter bars than homeowners do on the same saw. I have bars from 16" to 25", the longest being on my Stihl MS441. I wouldn't have selected that long of a bar but it was 2nd hand and that is what it had. Seldom if ever, do I need to cut a 50" tree. People get into big engine envy but as you indicate, a properly sized saw for the wood at hand is what you need.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #29  
I liked my 361 with 16" my 066's 660 with 16" to 24" :laughing: my 084's with 16" too. Just because I could. :laughing:

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #30  
I currently have 5 saws (I know ...ridiculous ]

Not ridiculous at all. If the wife hadn't limited me to owning no more than 5 saws at any one time, I'd have way more than that.