Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ???

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #31  
Yep 5 is a drop in the bucket. I try to stay 30 or under now days.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #32  
Which was it, a muffler mod or no muffler :confused: ? I have done all my saws muffler mods and if done correct there is not that much of a difference in sound, just curious.

I didn't examine the saw, judging by the sound it was either no muffler or so modded that it might as well have been. He says he modded it.

Harry K

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #33  
Right, few people other than pros need the big saws. Even then you will notice they often run shorter bars than homeowners do on the same saw. I have bars from 16" to 25", the longest being on my Stihl MS441. I wouldn't have selected that long of a bar but it was 2nd hand and that is what it had. Seldom if ever, do I need to cut a 50" tree. People get into big engine envy but as you indicate, a properly sized saw for the wood at hand is what you need.

I cut Willow for 30 years (and will be starting back on clearcutting a bunch for a farmer this year). Those grow big here, most running around 36". Biggest one was over 48" and I used that as an excuse to buy the MS361. I put a 28" bar (skip tooth loop) just for thatone tree then downsized to a 20" bar. Greatest saw I have ever owned!!

Harry K

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #34  
Not ridiculous at all. If the wife hadn't limited me to owning no more than 5 saws at any one time, I'd have way more than that.

Wives should be banned from talking while one works on a saw. Several years ago I had my tongue wrapped aorund my eyetooth trying to get small screw started. She said "why don't you buy a new saw". Being distracted as I was I replied "No thanks, I already have three" immediately followed by a "face/palm". Turning down a chance to buy a saw was bad but worse was she only knew about 2.

Harry K

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #35  
Wives should be banned from talking while one works on a saw. Several years ago I had my tongue wrapped aorund my eyetooth trying to get small screw started. She said "why don't you buy a new saw". Being distracted as I was I replied "No thanks, I already have three" immediately followed by a "face/palm". Turning down a chance to buy a saw was bad but worse was she only knew about 2.

Harry K
Well that was an old hoof in the mouth moment for you Turnkey. There was no hiding my chainsaws around here TK. They were everywhere. Heck it was my profession so I had an excuse that they were on the dining room table, the cellar stairs, the cellar, the outside vestibule, the garage, the work shed and the woodshed. You could not go someplace and not see a chainsaw or three. After I retired from cutting what she didn't know was that I was also a chainsaw junkie buying, using for a short time, then selling. Just had to check out every size and brand that came out. After a few years, she got concerned (fed up) and came out with her edict. I am plagued to this day with this ailment no different than a smoker who has quit for 10 years still wanting that drag when he sees someone smoking. I can only hope she stays around otherwise this place would be what ornaments are to Christmas trees only with chainsaws. The only saw I ever kept was the last saw I had in my hands on the last day on the last job of my profession.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #36  
I have a 441 with a 25" bar that I'm very pleased with. Power is plenty adequate for that size bar and it balances nicely. There are very few trees in this part of the country that need a bigger saw than that.

P1010872sm.jpg

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #37  
[Really? I cut N.E. wood as a professional logger for 30 years. Any saw you see 20 years old is a saw not used by a professional. I felt fortunate if I got 2 years out of any saw no matter what the brand. What you see professionals use is the saw most available with the largest incentive. If anyone thinks a professional has the luxury of "brand loyalty" they don't know what they're talking about. When you need saws to make a living with, any professional saw is good with the best one being the saw you could buy today./QUOTE]

I don't think the original poster is a pro logger so I don't think he has to worry about killing ANY saw in two years. That's is unbelievable to me, but with 30 years cutting you would know.

You killed a Husky, Stihl, Dohlmar Pro saws in two years? Are there ANY TREES left in Rhode Island after that ?:laughing:

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #38  
[Really? I cut N.E. wood as a professional logger for 30 years. Any saw you see 20 years old is a saw not used by a professional. I felt fortunate if I got 2 years out of any saw no matter what the brand. What you see professionals use is the saw most available with the largest incentive. If anyone thinks a professional has the luxury of "brand loyalty" they don't know what they're talking about. When you need saws to make a living with, any professional saw is good with the best one being the saw you could buy today./QUOTE]

I don't think the original poster is a pro logger so I don't think he has to worry about killing ANY saw in two years. That's is unbelievable to me, but with 30 years cutting you would know.

You killed a Husky, Stihl, Dohlmar Pro saws in two years? Are there ANY TREES left in Rhode Island after that ?:laughing:
No Dolmars but yes to the other two.

First, we cut in 3 states. Secondly, we cut 6 days a week. 8 hours was a short day. We put on more hours on a saw in one month than most people do in a life time. You run any of your saws like this and tell me how long it lasts. Once a saw started losing compression that was tuned to run as fast as possible, (lean) it was done for this was a production game of grind and grit on man and machinery and not some leisurely gathering of firewood. Its like the guy who goes golfing two or three times a week and thinks pro golfers are not athletes. After all, what's so hard about walking around and hitting a ball. This guy doesn't know what it is to walk a 7500 yd course 5 days per week. Practice beating balls when not playing. Traveling all over the place. Putting up with crowds where you can't walk around anywhere to go get something to eat and then top that off with the stress of competition and having to do well for sponsors and then come back and tell me golf is not hard. If you came with me for a week you'd understand better and after 2 years, might be a believer.

Also..I was not answering the poster. I was answering you and your proclamations of why pros use Stihl saws.

Last edited:
   / Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #39  
Sounds it. Thanks. Two years sucks. I guess Stihl and Husky are making disposable PRO saws then.

I would be pissed is a skid steer or mini died after two years of heavy use. Or any other piece of construction equipment for that matter.

Police cars and taxis go 24/7 and get a few years at least out of them with little to no maintenance. And that's a simple Ford never mind a higher end maker.

Sounds like there is room for a new chainsaw company. There are plenty of single cylinder simple engines out there that are reliable after multiple years of heavy use.

I never realized the PROs ate up their saws in two years. Disappointed to say the least.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #40  
Sounds it. Thanks. Two years sucks. I guess Stihl and Husky are making disposable PRO saws then.

I would be pissed is a skid steer or mini died after two years of heavy use. Or any other piece of construction equipment for that matter.

Police cars and taxis go 24/7 and get a few years at least out of them with little to no maintenance. And that's a simple Ford never mind a higher end maker.

Sounds like there is room for a new chainsaw company. There are plenty of single cylinder simple engines out there that are reliable after multiple years of heavy use.

I never realized the PROs ate up their saws in two years. Disappointed to say the least.

well ,most home owners don't climb 80 feet up with a saw dangling and banging against a tree and a simple single is not a two stroke singing at 10,000 rpm for 8 hrs a day 6 days a week either and you really think a police car or taxi has
little or no "maintenance lol guess again ! :laughing: