Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ???

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #41  
Sounds it. Thanks. Two years sucks. I guess Stihl and Husky are making disposable PRO saws then.

I would be pissed is a skid steer or mini died after two years of heavy use. Or any other piece of construction equipment for that matter.

Police cars and taxis go 24/7 and get a few years at least out of them with little to no maintenance. And that's a simple Ford never mind a higher end maker.

Sounds like there is room for a new chainsaw company. There are plenty of single cylinder simple engines out there that are reliable after multiple years of heavy use.

I never realized the PROs ate up their saws in two years. Disappointed to say the least.

Who says they're disposable? You are comparing apples and oranges. Name me another gas fueled entity that turns as fast as a chainsaw short of a formula 1 race car and tell me it has to so for 2 years. Look at the surface area that this one piston has to spread out its friction. Its tiny. Then lean this sucker out so it moves as fast as possible. Its like calling a funny car a "disposable car" after it has to be torn down after one run. This wood game is not about how long things last. Its about producing as much product and in as short as time as possible. A chainsaw in this regard is simply part of collateral damage and well worth it. I was never disappointed with any of my saws. I thought they were engineering marvels to go as long as they did considering what was being asked of them. That is why a pro chainsaw can last a life time for the average user no matter who makes it.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #42  
If your happy with two years under your conditions that's great. They have achieved customer satisfaction.

If the saws are going 6 days a week 8 hours a day (assuming zero down time) that's about 5,000 hours of run time tops til death. A $1,000 saw makes it about .20 per hour of life. Maybe that is good, I don't know.

My old Stihl 034 AV Super is almost 30 years old and cuts roughly 5-10 cords or trees into firewood a year that whole time. No comparison at all to what your using them for but I can't complain.

I guess your right. If either of us gets 5000 hours out of our JD it's safe to say we will both be happy I'm sure.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #43  
If your happy with two years under your conditions that's great. They have achieved customer satisfaction.

If the saws are going 6 days a week 8 hours a day (assuming zero down time) that's about 5,000 hours of run time tops til death. A $1,000 saw makes it about .20 per hour of life. Maybe that is good, I don't know.

My old Stihl 034 AV Super is almost 30 years old and cuts roughly 5-10 cords or trees into firewood a year that whole time. No comparison at all to what your using them for but I can't complain.

I guess your right. If either of us gets 5000 hours out of our JD it's safe to say we will both be happy I'm sure.

5,000hrs would be a huge number of hours for a single cylinder 2-stroke. The crap saws you buy at the big box stores run a hundred hours if you are lucky.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #44  

You can't figure the math this way Buzzard for a chainsaw. I really do not know what the chainsaw manufacturers figure how many hours their pro models are supposed to run. I just know how long they lasted for me considering all the variables of professional logging such as who is mixing the fuel for the day (we'd go through gallons) the general abuse these saws get, the lean conditions they ran at which no doubt shortened their life span considerably. Our boss went nuts if he heard saws "blip" like we all do as it wasted gas. They went from idle to full speed. He figured if everyone was blipping that it wasted a full tank of gas by the end of the day. Its just a different world out there on the pond value tract.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #45  
You can't figure the math this way Buzzard for a chainsaw. I really do not know what the chainsaw manufacturers figure how many hours their pro models are supposed to run. I just know how long they lasted for me considering all the variables of professional logging such as who is mixing the fuel for the day (we'd go through gallons) the general abuse these saws get, the lean conditions they ran at which no doubt shortened their life span considerably. Our boss went nuts if he heard saws "blip" like we all do as it wasted gas. They went from idle to full speed. He figured if everyone was blipping that it wasted a full tank of gas by the end of the day. Its just a different world out there on the pond value tract.

And I'll bet they didn't get alot of 'tender lovign care' either, Run in dirt, debri all day, with luck get a blow down from the compressor a couple times, etc. Amazing you would get 2 years in such conditions.

As for "blipping" I never did understand why people do it. I never got in the habit ecept just prior to shutting down a saw that was a bit reluctant to start with one pull. Had a guy stop where I ws working one day, claimed to be a professional logger who worked for the FS clearing trails, etc in California. I let him cut some. Drove me nuts, at least three blips before starting each cut.

Forgot the good part of his "claims". Got to talking saws and I asked if he had ever run a gear drive one..."aren't they all?"

Harry K

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #46  
And I'll bet they didn't get alot of 'tender lovign care' either, Run in dirt, debri all day, with luck get a blow down from the compressor a couple times, etc. Amazing you would get 2 years in such conditions.

As for "blipping" I never did understand why people do it. I never got in the habit ecept just prior to shutting down a saw that was a bit reluctant to start with one pull. Had a guy stop where I ws working one day, claimed to be a professional logger who worked for the FS clearing trails, etc in California. I let him cut some. Drove me nuts, at least three blips before starting each cut.

Forgot the good part of his "claims". Got to talking saws and I asked if he had ever run a gear drive one..."aren't they all?"

Harry K

Its just difficult for people to believe that which they have not experienced or worse come up with why things are the way they are based on limited experience. I consider what i do now in regards to working the trees as limited and I've been cutting wood as a home owner for 35 years. It does not compare in any way, shape or form to what i used to do as a professional. There is an intensity as a professional that cannot be matched by any length of time cutting as a homeowner or recreational cutter. I feel fortunate simply to have survived and come away not too busted up.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #47  
Its just difficult for people to believe that which they have not experienced or worse come up with why things are the way they are based on limited experience. I consider what i do now in regards to working the trees as limited and I've been cutting wood as a home owner for 35 years. It does not compare in any way, shape or form to what i used to do as a professional. There is an intensity as a professional that cannot be matched by any length of time cutting as a homeowner or recreational cutter. I feel fortunate simply to have survived and come away not too busted up.

In the late 70's I had a tree service and until your 85 feet up a locust tree in between 2 houses with 8 feet clearance and cutting 2 foot sections and tossing them down 70 feet into the back yard you can't imagine the pucker factor when your responsible for the damage and the feeling you get when you finish and loaded collecting that check and everyone's safe and happy:cool2: ! I know what your talking about ! or the days when an employee drops a saw from 50 foot up and you've had it less than a week :duh:

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #48  
Yeah professional arborists and logging are trades that earn my respect 100%. I do a lot of things, but never could I drop sections of a tree from 85' to a back yard that must look like a postage stamp from up there. Every time I see it I am more impressed. I would not want a saw that I could not trust. Nearly every saw I have seen go high up a tree is a Stihl 200T.

Last edited:
   / Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #49  
New price on MS880 Sthil 1789.95. Do you still feel the need for a big saw? Me not so much. I worked with a man who was always "blipping" the crane he ran before every pick. Still bothers me. What about the muffler porting? In my area of western Ohio you only see Husqvarna at the big box retail places. Just not many small dealers carry them. Sthil dealers every 25 miles.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #50  
Yeah professional arborists and logging are trades that earn my respect 100%. I do a lot of things, but never could I drop sections of a tree from 85' to a back yard that must look like a postage stamp from up there. Every time I see it I am more impressed. I would want a saw that I can't trust. Nearly every saw I have seen go high up a tree is a Stihl 200T.

I discover an odd thing happening to me now and was wondering if anyone else gets this feeling. Basically its a feeling of "doom" when I'm out cutting and the set up might be difficult. What did not used to bother me a lick now rears its ugly head and makes me hesitate. Its like i used up all my lucky numbers as a professional having escaped several life threatening situations and now my end number is coming up. I would not dream of doing the things now I did then. Maybe age has something to do with it but it still makes me a little crazy.