Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ???

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #81  
Where's the OP and his answers to questions like: what are you going to use whatever saw you buy for?
How much experience do you have running saws of any size, etc.?

These were answer pages back he also posted some kool pictures.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ???
My advice would be to get a saw of the right size and learn to sharpen it well and maintain the bar. As long as the saw is running well, sharpening the chain properly and keeping the rakers at the proper height is, in my opinion, the most important consideration in saw performance. The difference between avarage chainsaw men and good ones is in bar/chain maintenance skills. My opinion.

I have been thinking that I really need to learn to properly sharpen my chain. I usually keep 2 or 3 chains of whatever length bars I have and when one gets dull, I change it out and drop the dull chain off at my dealer. Also, regarding "BAR MAINTENANCE" I would like to be informed on this issue. I'm very open to advise on bar maintenance as I have never done anything special to my bars. Any and all advice welcome. thanks

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #83  
These were answer pages back he also posted some kool pictures.

Sorry, guess I missed it...

For sharpening here is a place to start: How To Sharpen a Chain Saw

Also get a sharpening gauge and bar groove cleaning tool, usually available in a kit from most Stihl dealers. It may take a while to figue it out but once done you can do a great job sharpening your own chains and they will last longer than having a shop grind them down to nothing.
Stihl recommends every second chain you go through to change out the bar too. I think that's a little overkill for most use, but if you flip the bar each time you clean it and swap out your dull chain for a sharp one you'll get better life too. So new bar- match to two new chains, and sharpen them regularly.

Check out arborist.com too.

Last edited:
   / Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #84  
pharmvet go search Youtube for saw sharpening you will find a ton of stuff. Or see if the dealer will show you how to hand file the chain. It isn't that hard

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #85  
One thing that you need to consider is that none of the safety gear like chaps and vests are rated for the big saws. Most safety gear even comes with a "big saw disclaimer". Once you get a chainsaw with nearly 100cc displacement screaming that bit of kevlar won't do much to stop it.

Wouldn't it still be wise to at least lessen the carnage?

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #86  
I've ran the biggest baddest modified racesaws chainsaws out there on alky nitro fuel with the sharpest fasted race chains made. Up to 140cc saws (now even bigger to up to 10ci saws). The chaps may not stop it dead in their tracks but I sure feel safer knowing it will slow down.

If your that scared running your 100cc plus stock saw get 10 ply competition chaps. Competition Chainsaw Chaps & Parts

Click on chap pic to read.

ChapCare.jpg

CopyofCL3120003.jpg

CopyofCL3120002.jpg

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #87  
Also get a sharpening gauge and bar groove cleaning tool, usually available in a kit from most Stihl dealers. It may take a while to figue it out but once done you can do a great job sharpening your own chains and they will last longer than having a shop grind them down to nothing.

I learned early about free hand sharpening, it comes second nature now. I agree though once a person gets the hang of it, it's no big deal, kind of like riding a bike. I see a lot of guys only worry about the chain and ignore the bar, big no no, not much to do with a bar as long as it is kept cleaned and regular checked. Most bars can be brought back to 'true' as long as they weren't abused, in many cases a simple file can fix a bar.

Stihl recommends every second chain you go through to change out the bar too. I think that's a little overkill for most use, but if you flip the bar each time you clean it and swap out your dull chain for a sharp one you'll get better life too. So new bar- match to two new chains, and sharpen them regularly.

Check out arborist.com too.

Ya, I'm with you that is way over kill, I've had bars last through multible chains, I do believe in flipping the bar every time a new chain goes on. This is the key to proper lube and running a properly adjusted and sharp chain, when chains are dull, improperly adjusted, and lube holes are pluged bars get burned up. Also before I forget keep an eye on the clutches some folks don't realize how fast they can wear. I stay on top of sharpening, way easier to touch up often then to run a dull blade causing bigger issue's down the road. If I can't lay my saw on the wood and basically let it pull itself through the wood then it's dull. I can't count the times I've seen guys/gals doing the ole teeter totter sawing motion :confused: this mean it's way past time for a good sharpening.

Also on some of the stihls there is a bar oil adjuster, IMO turn it all the way up, running that on low is no good for the bar or chain for that matter.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #88  
If your that scared running your 100cc plus stock saw get 10 ply competition chaps.

As you can see, I am new to the forums. Decided to give it a try when a few guys had questions that I felt I could help with. Before I joined I already knew that many posters use an antagonistic tone when they post, but this reply surprised me. I did not mean to challenge anyone's manhood by saying that most safety gear is not suited for high displacement saws. But I understand. It's easy to climb on a high-horse. I kinda felt bad after I climbed on my high-horse and posted that I have never done muffler mods and no professionals here do it either. I apoligise for that. Heck, maybe 20 20 is onto something that I should pay attention to and I shouldn't have dissed it the way I did. Maybe I'll even try it.

As to safety gear, I hate to admit it, but I often use my 066 Stihl without any. Scared, no. Crazy, probably.

About posting; lesson learned. Thanks.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #89  
As you can see, I am new to the forums. Decided to give it a try when a few guys had questions that I felt I could help with. Before I joined I already knew that many posters use an antagonistic tone when they post, but this reply surprised me. I did not mean to challenge anyone's manhood by saying that most safety gear is not suited for high displacement saws. But I understand. It's easy to climb on a high-horse. I kinda felt bad after I climbed on my high-horse and posted that I have never done muffler mods and no professionals here do it either. I apoligise for that. Heck, maybe 20 20 is onto something that I should pay attention to and I shouldn't have dissed it the way I did. Maybe I'll even try it.

As to safety gear, I hate to admit it, but I often use my 066 Stihl without any. Scared, no. Crazy, probably.

About posting; lesson learned. Thanks.

I could tell IR that you were a gentleman right from your first post. Your head remains open, If you feel you made a mistake you are not afraid to admit it (heck, sometimes one doesn't even realize they're being antagonistic) but we all go through life a little bit insecure at times and feel we need to make a stand as a result of being insecure and simply cannot admit it. When one girdles themselves to come to grips with this human frailty, I see this as courageous. To me that is one way to measure the grit of a true man or woman. Heck, I bet you can even wear a pink shirt and be secure about it:) Hmm,,,chaps and a pink shirt. Wish I thought about that back then and showed up on the landing with that get up.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #90  
:thumbsup:
I could tell IR that you were a gentleman right from your first post. Your head remains open, If you feel you made a mistake you are not afraid to admit it (heck, sometimes one doesn't even realize they're being antagonistic) but we all go through life a little bit insecure at times and feel we need to make a stand as a result of being insecure and simply cannot admit it. When one girdles themselves to come to grips with this human frailty, I see this as courageous. To me that is one way to measure the grit of a true man or woman. Heck, I bet you can even wear a pink shirt and be secure about it:) Hmm,,,chaps and a pink shirt. Wish I thought about that back then and showed up on the landing with that get up.