Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ???

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
I have been wanting a large Stihl saw for some time now. I have always heard good things about the older 044 magnum. Several local loggers rave about the 046 magnum. I began looking at my local dealer and found that the 044 and 046 had been replaced with the MS440 and MS460. Today, I went in to look and my dealer said that the MS440 and MS460 were being replaced with a MS441 and MS461. Now Im really confused. My question is:

What are some major differenced / similarities in all of these and If you were looking for a really reliable large saw, would you try to find an older model no longer in production, or would you just purchase a new model? Any and all advice is welcomed. thanks

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #2  
Never heard of Stihl. Is it a new brand of saw?

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #3  
There are some real good thread written on saws with some real knowledge attached. As for Stihl you are looking at the right level for a professional saw. You will learn that there is string opinion in support of Husqvarna in the professional level. Has stronger motor, more power and longer lasting.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #4  
Never heard of Stihl. Is it a new brand of saw?

Probably one of two most popular homeowner chainsaws in the US. Stihl is German designed and built but apparently doesn't compete at the high end with the most popular Husqvarna. Echo is the other highly recognized homeowner saw.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #5  
Buy a 441 460 660. Avoid the one ending with a 2. The 2 has the latest and greatest emissions stuff.

I have a 361 and 660. Both relatively new. Love them. 660 gets heavy but has tons of power and the 361 runs a 20" bar decent.

Brett

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #6  
Personally, I like the older stuff & own a 026, 046, & 066.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #7  
Bigger to me is the 066 088 not the medium sized 044 046.

066 went 660 to 661. 088 to 880

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #8  
Stihl only sells through their network of dealers. They are great saws and I have used them my entire life. I'm 60+ now, and they have never let me down. I used to work as a pro tree surgeon, when I was much younger. I now occasionally work alongside a currently in business for himself arborist and we both swear by Stihl.
You can find other brands like Husky, and many like them too. For a pro Stihl is the way to go- NOT cheap, but you get a quality saw. Husky is generally less $ and that may be why some like them as much as they do.
You need to determine exactly what use you have for a saw and match those to cc capacity and bar/chain, etc.
I'd suggest picking up a catalog at your local dealer or a CD and see what fits your needs.
And what the loggers use isn't necessarily what would best suit you, unless you're going to do logging use type work and for similar hours on the saw.
Check my signature, I have new and old Stihl saws in a wide range, for use on my 25+ acres of mostly woodlands.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #9  
Buy a 441 460 660. Avoid the one ending with a 2. The 2 has the latest and greatest emissions stuff.

I have a 361 and 660. Both relatively new. Love them. 660 gets heavy but has tons of power and the 361 runs a 20" bar decent.

Brett

Ditto. I bought a 441. The saws ending in 2 are advanced engine technology for emissions, not power.

/ Anyone here really know about Stihl chainsaws (larger saws) ??? #10  
I bought a O48 in 1984 and it has seen alot of use and fires right up. Had to replace the rubber fuel line once due to dry rot. Picked up a new ms441 two years ago, it is also a very good saw. If you can swing the price, buy the pro series saw.