Today's Husky Rancher 455 and 445 Work

/ Today's Husky Rancher 455 and 445 Work #1  

Ted Summey

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100F IH McCormick Farmall 140, Massey Ferguson 135
Here is what my Rancher 455 did today! The 445 played support. That's a 20" bar on the 455. It is too bad that the tree split through the middle. It could have made some great lumber!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 288
   / Today's Husky Rancher 455 and 445 Work #2  
looks like you could use a 24 or 28" bar on that.
I use a 570 with a 28" for big red oaks and a 450 with a 20" for limbing and small stuff

Don't get caught ridding dirty

/ Today's Husky Rancher 455 and 445 Work #3  
Looks good.

/ Today's Husky Rancher 455 and 445 Work
I checked with my dealer. He advised to stick with the 20" on the 455 and recommended a 372 for a longer bar. Since this as big as I will likely cut, I will stick with the 20". If I need something bigger cut, the service man at the hardware store is for hire and has a couple of 28" saws.

/ Today's Husky Rancher 455 and 445 Work #5  
I checked with my dealer. He advised to stick with the 20" on the 455 and recommended a 372 for a longer bar. Since this as big as I will likely cut, I will stick with the 20". If I need something bigger cut, the service man at the hardware store is for hire and has a couple of 28" saws.

My biggest saw is an MS361 that usually runs a 20" but I have a 25 and 28 for the rare "big un". As long as one can cut from both sides there is no real need for a long bar if you only need it for an occasional tree. So far the record diameter was 52" at the felling cuts.

Harry K

Turnkey, 90% of the wood I cut is already down and usually dead. While I have cut a standing tree or two the size of the one pictured, we only have a few trees bigger than that. So I agree that cutting from both sides suffices. It is hard to justify the expense of the bigger saw for a few trees. If I were 20 years younger, I would probably get the bigger saw. As it is, I have a hard time working as hard as my saw can - I can't keep up like I used to. Me and John Henry ......

It usually takes three cuts to cut through something that large with the 20" bar without pinching the bar. So its not so bad.

/ Today's Husky Rancher 455 and 445 Work #7  
You have to be careful running larger than recommended bars on saws. Too big and it won't get oiled properly even with the oiler turned up all the way.

MW - that was one of my dealer's concerns when I asked about a longer bar for the 455.

/ Today's Husky Rancher 455 and 445 Work #9  
My 455 rancher came with 24inch bar. That was 7 yrs ago tho. Still have owners manual. Says it was available with 20, 22 or 24 in bars.

/ Today's Husky Rancher 455 and 445 Work #10  
I dilute the bar oil with transmission oil 50/50 mostly cause I'm cheap and have a supply of unused tranny fluid. This thinner mix allows for more lubricant flow. Help to lubricate the longer bars also. At 50% there is still plenty of stickiness to the oil?
Dennis
You have to be careful running larger than recommended bars on saws. Too big and it won't get oiled properly even with the oiler turned up all the way.