Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    117
    Location
    Mississippi
    Tractor
    Massy Furgason 396, ASV-100 with Cimaf, D9H(Frankenstien), D9G(Rusty), D6D(troublemaker), and JD 6420P :)

    Default Husky 372xp or another 440

    Hey guys, was doing some storm clean up and a guy on a bobcat ran over my old 440, she can be fixed but I don't have the time right now, Monday morning I'm going to a dealer that sells both huskys and sthils, iv owned a lot of sthil saws new and very old ones, also have a lot of old homelite and mccouloch saws (dont use them much because of OSHA). But I did borrow a 372xp and a 455 rancher from a friend of mine, I was pretty impressed at how well the 455 limbed and how well the the 372 cut through the large tree trunks, it just seemed to me the huskys felt better, I found myself not as flatigued when we finished, also the saws just seemed to cut better and a little faster. But anyway y'all give me the pros and cons of owning a husky or sthil.

  2. #2
    Gold Member dbaer78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    327
    Location
    nashville,indiana
    Tractor
    kubota mx5100hst

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShearHeadMS
    Hey guys, was doing some storm clean up and a guy on a bobcat ran over my old 440, she can be fixed but I don't have the time right now, Monday morning I'm going to a dealer that sells both huskys and sthils, iv owned a lot of sthil saws new and very old ones, also have a lot of old homelite and mccouloch saws (dont use them much because of OSHA). But I did borrow a 372xp and a 455 rancher from a friend of mine, I was pretty impressed at how well the 455 limbed and how well the the 372 cut through the large tree trunks, it just seemed to me the huskys felt better, I found myself not as flatigued when we finished, also the saws just seemed to cut better and a little faster. But anyway y'all give me the pros and cons of owning a husky or sthil.
    Both are excellent saws. I've put a lot of hours on a 372xp husky and I currently own a 044 and a 460 Stihl that i use the tar out of. I own Stihl because that's what I grew up with and what I can get parts and service for the easiest in my area. around here husky takes longer to get parts but i think its mainly a dealer thing. the main thing i dislike about husky is that they kinda sold their dealers out buy selling their homeowner saws in big box stores. this has taken a decent amount of sales away from their dedicated dealers, but thats just my take. I would definitely check out the 441 and new 461 Stihl. These have spring type anti vibe like husky which I really like. I would love to have a new 461 myself. My best friend runs a 575 husky which is basically an improved 372xp i think. It has a good power band and handles pretty well. It would be nice going to a shop that sold both so you could check them both out at the same time. Good luck.

  3. #3
    Elite Member s219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,602
    Location
    Virginia USA
    Tractor
    Kubota L3200

    Default Re: Husky 372xp or another 440

    I'd suggest you look at a Stihl 441cm. Will be loads more comfortable and fuel efficient than your old 440. I ran a 441cm before I got my 461, and thought it was as good or better than anything Husky could offer.

    The 461 is a great and torquey saw, but probably too big if you were happy with the 440. Note, the 461 i's not spring AV as previously noted. That doesn't bother me a bit, but may be an issue for some.

  4. #4
    Super Member 94BULLITT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,434
    Location
    Frederick County, VA
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

    Default Re: Husky 372xp or another 440

    I have always had good luck with Stihl products, I have 4.

  5. #5
    Gold Member dbaer78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    327
    Location
    nashville,indiana
    Tractor
    kubota mx5100hst

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by s219
    I'd suggest you look at a Stihl 441cm. Will be loads more comfortable and fuel efficient than your old 440. I ran a 441cm before I got my 461, and thought it was as good or better than anything Husky could offer.

    The 461 is a great and torquey saw, but probably too big if you were happy with the 440. Note, the 461 i's not spring AV as previously noted. That doesn't bother me a bit, but may be an issue for some.
    You are absolutely correct on the 461 anti vibe. I apologize for the misinformation. By the way... You own my dream saw!

  6. #6
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    117
    Location
    Mississippi
    Tractor
    Massy Furgason 396, ASV-100 with Cimaf, D9H(Frankenstien), D9G(Rusty), D6D(troublemaker), and JD 6420P :)

    Default Re: Husky 372xp or another 440

    The ony reason why I'm even considering getting a new saw that isn't a stihl is because of the dealers around here, half these guys have never run pro saws, and all they know us what stihl tells them, the only decent dealer in my are is some old boys that use to pulpwood and log back in the 70s and 80s, they sell both stihl and huskys, he even said he would order me a dolmar if I felt the need. I just don't guess I have much love for stihl anymore, my other problem with stihl is just the over all feel of it, the 440 was a good "rough" saw, but as far as finesse goes it was a cavemans saw. Most of the pro loggers around me keep a good dolmar or husky on the saw rack of their trucks and a stihl rolling around in the back for the new hands to use.

  7. #7
    Platinum Member tessiers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    669
    Location
    Central Maine
    Tractor
    05' JD 790 - 49' Ford 8n - 53' Ford NAA - 70' Massey Fergusen 135 diesel - 1950 John Deere MC - 1992 Thomas T-83 skid steer

    Default Re: Husky 372xp or another 440

    I ran Stihl for a long time, but switched to husky for dealer reasons. I like the Husky's real well. The 372 is a real nice saw. I have heard good things about the new autotune saws as well, but never ran one. Husky seams to have a little more high end, but less torque in a hard cut. I do a lot of rippinng and the torque is what I need. Replaced a stihl 045 with the 372, was told new saw would have more power. More speed maybe, but not more power. Replaced a Stihl 036 with a 266xp and that was a nice switch. I use the 372 mostly as a firewood saw now, picked up a 394xp for ripping and it is amazing the power difference. I still like my 266xp in the woods, a little lighter and still plenty of power. I like the balance of the husky's and the AV seams just a tad better. When the wife asks how many saws I need I reply "just 1 more".
    check us out at www.tessiersfarm.com

  8. #8
    Super Star Member LD1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    10,451
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Tractor
    Kubota l3400

    Default Re: Husky 372xp or another 440

    Quote Originally Posted by ShearHeadMS View Post
    The ony reason why I'm even considering getting a new saw that isn't a stihl is because of the dealers around here, half these guys have never run pro saws, and all they know us what stihl tells them, the only decent dealer in my are is some old boys that use to pulpwood and log back in the 70s and 80s, they sell both stihl and huskys, he even said he would order me a dolmar if I felt the need. I just don't guess I have much love for stihl anymore, my other problem with stihl is just the over all feel of it, the 440 was a good "rough" saw, but as far as finesse goes it was a cavemans saw. Most of the pro loggers around me keep a good dolmar or husky on the saw rack of their trucks and a stihl rolling around in the back for the new hands to use.
    Well since you mentioned it, Id say get a PS7900. Bigger, faster, and usually cheaper than the stihl or husky offerings of similar size.

    But in all seriousness, when you are talking 70-80cc saws, Any of them from stihl or husky are good. They are absolute wood cutting beasts. I know From the saws I have ran I prefer the 372xp to the 044/440, but I'll admit I havent ran any of the newer offerings from husky OR stihl. So I am going on about 8 year out-dated info. But I really dont think there is a wrong answer here at all. To be, the dealer, and how the saw felt in my hands (ergonomics) would be the most important. And only you can answer what saw feels better in YOUR hands.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."


    Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

  9. #9
    Veteran Member deereman75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,754
    Location
    canada
    Tractor
    1946 cockshutt 60

    Default Re: Husky 372xp or another 440

    I'm a stihl guy my self. The only huskys I have ran are small 36cc homeowner saws though, so I don't have a good comparison.
    Never carry gasoline in your car trunk. If you do, atleast use some sort of container.
    -red green

  10. #10
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,179
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK50 HST

    Default Re: Husky 372xp or another 440

    it just seemed to me the huskys felt better, I found myself not as flatigued when we finished, also the saws just seemed to cut better and a little faster. But anyway y'all give me the pros and cons of owning a husky or sthil.[/QUOTE]

    You just summed up the reasons we switched to all Huskys when we were cutting full time. I actually prefered the Johnsreds to the Stihls but we had no dealer support so Husky it was. The last Pro saw I ran alot was the 036, I actually prefer my modded 346 to that saw. Stihls are built a little better than the Husky but the Huskys are lighter, feel better and we have had no major issues with durability with the Husky. I put a 034 super backtogether from a basket case last year and really really tried to like the saw but ended up like the last few selling it to a friend. CJ
    Kioti DK50HST Cab
    401 FEL
    Saws, 338xp,346xp mod,372xp mod, 390xp, Stihl combi 130 trimmer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. STEINER 440
    By eddieb1965 in forum Ventrac
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 11-15-2012, 01:00 AM
  2. 440 weight
    By horticattleman in forum Bobcat Tractors
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2011, 07:59 PM
  3. anyone know JD 440 Dozers
    By AKwelder in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-26-2011, 11:05 AM
  4. Ct 440 working
    By articatsopro in forum Bobcat Tractors
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2010, 03:09 PM
  5. My new CT 440
    By articatsopro in forum Bobcat Tractors
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 07:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.