Which Stihl for me?

/ Which Stihl for me? #91  
Wow, Nice saw!

Thanks Murphy...long time in the making. 3 1/2 Years finding parts and many hours of work to do her right...the $$$ I won't even get into. Too depressing...lol

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Which Stihl for me? #92  
Thanks Murphy...long time in the making. 3 1/2 Years finding parts and many hours of work to do her right...the $$$ I won't even get into. Too depressing...lol

Ya but still, a 106cc Saw Oh Boyz!

/ Which Stihl for me? #94  
Wrong guy, the 106'er was Toomuchjunk's 070. Mine's a paltry 61cc, I'd love to get my hands on that 070 for a resto though...

Sorry my Bad, How old is your saw?

/ Which Stihl for me? #95  
Sorry my Bad, How old is your saw?

The first 041av's appeared in mid/late 60's i believe, but the transition from points ignition to electronic was late 60's, IIRC it was '69. That style In particular was found in that configuration up until around '73, so it could be anywhere in that neighborhood. I could look up the serial I suppose to pinpoint it further, but I just never have. They're pretty common, but they can be hard to find the RIGHT parts for. Surprisingly the genuine Stihl emblems for that era were a PITA to get. A labor of love though, for sure, as a man would go broke trying to build 'em like that for a profit:)

/ Which Stihl for me? #96  
The Stihl 070 is about that same vintage. late 60's to mid 1970's. The one I have could certainly use some TLC in the cosmetics department. They're just tools to me so I don't coddle them much. If the innards are good, I'm happy.

/ Which Stihl for me? #97  
The Stihl 070 is about that same vintage. late 60's to mid 1970's. The one I have could certainly use some TLC in the cosmetics department. They're just tools to me so I don't coddle them much. If the innards are good, I'm happy.

Yeah, I'm not real sentimental about my work saws either, but my 041 was given to me specifically as a project saw. I wanted to see it as new. They don't stay pretty very long under regular use anyway, but I kinda prefer the safety features of the new saws ( namely the chain brake ) which these old girls don't have;-)

/ Which Stihl for me? #99  
Yeah, I'm not real sentimental about my work saws either, but my 041 was given to me specifically as a project saw. I wanted to see it as new. They don't stay pretty very long under regular use anyway, but I kinda prefer the safety features of the new saws ( namely the chain brake ) which these old girls don't have;-)

Well that refurbishment certainly brought it back to new or better than new appearance. I always enjoy seeing a beautiful work of art like that. Same with antique cars. Mine are drivers though. ie, 63 Falcon, 65 Mustang, etc. Not car show winners but cool to tool around in...
I hear ya on the chain brake thing. The 070 is the only saw I "use" that doesn't have a chain brake. I have a few older saws pass through that don't but I don't make them part of my working line up. I have a couple of Mac 10-10 saws now but they'll both be sold soon. Some of those old saws will still hold their own as far as cutting capability but the modern safety features are nice. The 070 is only used for bucking very large wood. The trees are felled by an MS660.

/ Which Stihl for me? #100  
Jealous! Awesome saw!

It's a Stihl 070. 106cc. Same basic saw as the 090 but a smaller piston/cylinder. The larger cylinder will bolt up for a "big bore" conversion but the 090 also has a stronger clutch. Not sure how much of a difference that would make but it has plenty of grunt for my needs.