Which Stihl for me?

/ Which Stihl for me? #21  
Thanks for all the replies. I was looking at the MS261 as it is about the same horsepower as the MS290 but weighs just over a pound less but it is also almost $200 more than the 290 and I'm not sure for the amount that I cut that the extra cost is worth it.

I also think it is $200 well spent.

/ Which Stihl for me? #25  
If you have a Dolmar dealer, look at their 5000 series saw and see if it isn't less than the Sthil for a more than comparable cutter. I believe they are running in the $500 range. For a partial user who wants quality, you do not necessarily always have to opt for a pro saw but they do seem to be less troublesome. A pro saw for an intermittent user should last a life time especially true if you are close to 80 years old and if you are, anything you get should last a life time.. (just tryin in my dumb *** way of putting things in perspective)

/ Which Stihl for me? #26  
I just bought a ms290 after my 1 year old ms290 decided to commit suicide by brush hog ! I too couldn't justify the 200 dollar upcharge for the 261. Dolmar makes some nice saws too

/ Which Stihl for me? #27  
I think the 290 would serve you well...but as others have said, the 261 is a great choice. I have a 260 (the261's predecessor) and love it...it is rare that I pick up a bigger saw. They are $200 more...you will have to weigh that.

Will

/ Which Stihl for me?
I will have to go look at the saws and do some more research. Definitely want to get one that is going to last a while, being 30 years old I have a few years of cutting firewood left.

/ Which Stihl for me? #29  
I have a 290 with an 18 inch bar and it has handled everything I have thrown at it over the last 5 years. I use it for the big stuff and a Stihl Mini Boss witha 16 inch bar for limbing and smaller trees. The 290 does tend to get a bit heavy after awhile, and gets criticized as a result. Just cut up a good size ash on Sunday, and the 290 made short work of it. I suspect you will be pleased either way you go. Good luck.

/ Which Stihl for me?
If it's got to be a stihl. I would move up from the plastic made saws IMO. Get a pro grade magnesium cased MS261.

Is it just the outer case that is made of plastic, I thought I saw somewhere you said the crankcase is made of plastic? I have a friend that has two old Husky saws with plastic cases and they have held up very well, they are probably 25 - 30 years old.