Which Stihl for me?

/ Which Stihl for me? #31  
Look past the 200 difference, and consider the construction of the saw as it pertains to long term use.

The 290/291 is a fat heavy terd compared to the 260/261 when they get put to use.
The power difference shows up right away and is huge. If you spend a full day cutting, the speed and weight difference adds up.

Rebuilding the 260/261 several times, before your grandkids can try to wear it out is a possibility, the same cannot be said for the clamshell 290/291.

The "Plastic case" is just the outer case on the Pro series saws. The Jug bolts right to a magnesium crankcase.
The homeowner cheapies are a different matter altogether. They hold up well enough for the average woodtick/homeowner and then some, but a lifetime of use and ease of rebuilding is not in the scope of thier design.

Consider a good used 260 as well. Darn things are next to impossible to kill, like the 026 they replaced.. and both are lighter and faster than the 290/291.

/ Which Stihl for me?
Why can the 260/261 be rebuilt but a 290 can't?

/ Which Stihl for me? #33  
Why can the 260/261 be rebuilt but a 290 can't?

It can be rebuilt. It's a pain sometimes to get some bolts off these saws so some shops will say "it can't be rebuilt" but there are after market pistons and such for these. For the way you are planning to use a chainsaw, I doubt this will ever need to be a consideration for you unless human error is involved such as a bad oil/fuel mix. The best way for you to figure this is pick up both. If allowed and at a chainsaw shop, go out back and make a cut or two. Try to get a feel for the two saws in question and you'll know instantly which one you'll get. If you choose the 261, $200 will be next to meaningless as it applies to your well being both spiritually and holistically. . After all, this is a chainsaw in your hands and not a bouquet of flowers. Feel is critical when purchasing a chainsaw.

/ Which Stihl for me? #34  
The best way for you to figure this is pick up both. If allowed and at a chainsaw shop, go out back and make a cut or two. Try to get a feel for the two saws in question and you'll know instantly which one you'll get. If you choose the 261, $200 will be next to meaningless as it applies to your well being both spiritually and holistically. . After all, this is a chainsaw in your hands and not a bouquet of flowers. Feel is critical when purchasing a chainsaw.

Very well stated. The best reply the OP has gotten to date.

/ Which Stihl for me? #35  
I am researching buying my first chainsaw and have narrowed it down to a few models, a MS250, MS271, or MS290 all with 16" bars. The 271 and 290 give the option of also having a 20" bar but my dad has a saw with a 20" bar so that is not a huge concern. What I want is a saw that is going to last a long time and not be short on power. I don't put a lot of hours on a year, probably 30 - 50, so it is not used hard but I want a good saw. What are your thoughts on these models or is there a different model that would be better?
Thanks
I don't think it makes as much difference how many hours a year you're going to use your saw, but how many hours at a time you'll be using it. The pro saws will hold up better to continuous use for a long time, but for occasional use the homeowner saws will last a long while too.

Out of the saws you mention I would go with the 290. You may want to look at a MS362 is slightly heavier but more powerful and it is a professional saw.

I've had the MS362 for a couple years now and I love it, however most of my time with it is spent bucking up big logs, and when I do, it's only for a few weeks in the spring, but I'm at it all day out there cutting...Hence the pro grade saw. If not for the power, I'd have a 261, personally after owning the pro-grade, I wouldn't want to go back...The price stung me for a little while, but it was well worth it IMO in the long run. I burned up a couple homeowner-grade saws before I went the route I'm on now...I guess it just depends on your use and what you're willing to spend, you may be completely satisfied with a homeowner saw. I'm not always a big proponent of 'you get what you pay for' but for me, it holds true with these saws.

/ Which Stihl for me?
It can be rebuilt. It's a pain sometimes to get some bolts off these saws so some shops will say "it can't be rebuilt" but there are after market pistons and such for these. For the way you are planning to use a chainsaw, I doubt this will ever need to be a consideration for you unless human error is involved such as a bad oil/fuel mix. The best way for you to figure this is pick up both. If allowed and at a chainsaw shop, go out back and make a cut or two. Try to get a feel for the two saws in question and you'll know instantly which one you'll get. If you choose the 261, $200 will be next to meaningless as it applies to your well being both spiritually and holistically. . After all, this is a chainsaw in your hands and not a bouquet of flowers. Feel is critical when purchasing a chainsaw.

That is a good idea I didn't think of, if I have time this weekend I'll stop and see if they'll let me do some test cutting. The $200 doesn't bother me if that's what it takes to get a saw that will be reliable but if can get a reliable saw and save that $200 then that's even better.

/ Which Stihl for me?
I don't think it makes as much difference how many hours a year you're going to use your saw, but how many hours at a time you'll be using it. The pro saws will hold up better to continuous use for a long time, but for occasional use the homeowner saws will last a long while too.

I've had the MS362 for a couple years now and I love it, however most of my time with it is spent bucking up big logs, and when I do, it's only for a few weeks in the spring, but I'm at it all day out there cutting...Hence the pro grade saw. If not for the power, I'd have a 261, personally after owning the pro-grade, I wouldn't want to go back...The price stung me for a little while, but it was well worth it IMO in the long run. I burned up a couple homeowner-grade saws before I went the route I'm on now...I guess it just depends on your use and what you're willing to spend, you may be completely satisfied with a homeowner saw. I'm not always a big proponent of 'you get what you pay for' but for me, it holds true with these saws.
a

Generally I use the saw for about 6 hours a day, 1 or 2 days in a row and then it will sit for a few months.

/ Which Stihl for me? #38  
I will have to go look at the saws and do some more research. Definitely want to get one that is going to last a while, being 30 years old I have a few years of cutting firewood left.

Well, that would eliminate the plastic saws then -- the 250 is a limited use homeowner saw, meant to be used a few times a year. The 290 is a mid-grade landowner saw, meant to be used a few times a month. A pro saw like the 261 can be used every day, and then rebuilt over and over. That's the saw to get if you really care about a long term investment, and on top of that, it will out-cut the 290 all while weighing less and using more fuel. To me, the 261 is a no brainer for your requirements.

/ Which Stihl for me? #39  
a

Generally I use the saw for about 6 hours a day, 1 or 2 days in a row and then it will sit for a few months.

You may very well be happy with the 290/291 at that usage. I don't think Stihl makes a bad saw given usage in the respective categories. ie, don't take an occasional use saw and run it every day, all day. The farm/ranch saws are good saws.

/ Which Stihl for me? #40  
I have the MS 250, running 16" bar and full chisel chain. Good power and not too heavy. Next saw will be the MS 261 with 16" bar.