Which Stihl for me?

/ Which Stihl for me?
Things have been busy and I still haven't made it out to look, it's going to happen though.

/ Which Stihl for me? #42  
   / Which Stihl for me? #43  
I think the 290 would serve you well...but as others have said, the 261 is a great choice. I have a 260 (the261's predecessor) and love it...it is rare that I pick up a bigger saw. They are $200 more...you will have to weigh that.

Will

I'll throw another plug in for the 261. Yes it is $200 more but it will last forever because it can be rebuilt and it has a resale market. Look at CL for a nice used 026 or 260 and you will have a saw that will last a life time you will always be able to sell it for what you paid for it used. This saw is so nice because it is light and powerful.

Good luck, Stihl is quality all around.

/ Which Stihl for me? #44  
I had an old lightweight Stihl 012, 18" bar (bar length not for cutting, but for reach when limbing) for 22 years, which finally got tired. I replaced it with a MS250 18" bar and it has been just fine so far for the lighter tasks. I have an MS360 20" bar pro-grade saw for my heavy cutting, which is in a completely different class than the lighter saw. I carry them both to the woods with me, but I put the MS250 on the tractor, as I will use it most of the time when maintaining trails and for general clean-up. I will go back and get the MS360 if I run up against any big blowdowns or if I am intentionally going to make firewood. My point here is that a very light saw like my original, lasted 22years, often being used beyond its recommended capabilities till I got the MS360 for heavy work. If you are going to have only one saw...get one you can handle easily...it'll take a lot of punishment and be comfortable in the process. If you are going to be able to have two saws at some point...get a light one and a heavy one. I've never regretted having the MS360 when I want it. If it's a question of selling the concept of multiple saws to the treasury dept (my wife)...just start mentioning shoes and handbags.... Best of luck to you, and as always with chainsaws BE SAFE!

/ Which Stihl for me? #45  
. If it's a question of selling the concept of multiple saws to the treasury dept (my wife)...just start mentioning shoes and handbags.... Best of luck to you, and as always with chainsaws BE SAFE!

You can always mention safety. For the non professionals it is not as safe to cut a large tree with a small saw with too short of bar. That is often when kickbacks happen. I have three saws and won't get rid of any of them.

/ Which Stihl for me? #46  
I'll throw in for the 261 too. Based on still using a 024 that my Dad got back in the early '80's. Still works great. The o24/026/260/261 family are nice hardy saws with a great balance and feel, at least to me.

I'll throw another plug in for the 261. Yes it is $200 more but it will last forever because it can be rebuilt and it has a resale market. Look at CL for a nice used 026 or 260 and you will have a saw that will last a life time you will always be able to sell it for what you paid for it used. This saw is so nice because it is light and powerful.

Good luck, Stihl is quality all around.

/ Which Stihl for me? #47  
Haven't kept up with the Stihl model changes because my 026, which is 20 yrs old, just lasts and lasts. You will not be sorry if the 261 is anything like my 026. Look at power to weight ratio. The 026 was among the best in this category at the time I bought it. Whatever you get, learn how to maintain the chain and keep it out of the dirt, no saw will perform with a dull chain.

/ Which Stihl for me? #48  
Haven't kept up with the Stihl model changes because my 026, which is 20 yrs old, just lasts and lasts. You will not be sorry if the 261 is anything like my 026. Look at power to weight ratio. The 026 was among the best in this category at the time I bought it. Whatever you get, learn how to maintain the chain and keep it out of the dirt, no saw will perform with a dull chain.

The legendary 026 became the 260 which was replaced by the 261. I have retired my still excellent 026 with the 261, but that is only because I could, not because I needed to. Actually the 026 still cuts most of the firewood at the house, it just doesn't ride in the truck any more as my go-to saw.

/ Which Stihl for me? #49  
Based on what I read in this thread and others on TBN,I purchased a MS261 today! Of course it's raining today,so I haven't been able to check it out,figures.
Pretty sure I'll be happy with it.

/ Which Stihl for me? #50  
Be sure and post your findings...

I was torn between buying a MS261 and taking it everywhere or buying two MS250... one for home and one for WA

So far the 250 have done well.