Which Stihl for me?

/ Which Stihl for me? #61  
Good choice. I have 20" and 16" bars for my MS261 and both handle very well. Maybe I'm crazy, but I needed another chainsaw last week and I ended up buying a second MS261. I thought hard about getting the larger 361, but almost everything I cut can be handled by the 261, and most of it is smaller stuff with a lot of branches. I went with the 261 because I prefer using a smaller/lighter saw and because I could use the same bars, chains, and files on the two saws. The bars and chains for the 361 are different.

I have two MS 250 and my top handle Echo...

Bought the second MS 250 because I already had chains and was tired not having it when I needed it... be it at home or at the cabin.

/ Which Stihl for me? #62  
Maybe I'm crazy, but I needed another chainsaw last week and I ended up buying a second MS261.

Sure, why not one for each hand. I thought I was overboard having an older 026 and the new 261. Nothing wrong with the 026, I just wanted the 261.

/ Which Stihl for me?
I'm going to build a wooden case for it so I can store the saw, gas, bar oil, extra chains, a 20" bar, files, couple wrenches, paint brush, etc all in one place. I figure that way when I go to camp or to cut wood somewhere other than my place I'll have everything I need all in one box.

/ Which Stihl for me?
Good choice. I have 20" and 16" bars for my MS261 and both handle very well. Maybe I'm crazy, but I needed another chainsaw last week and I ended up buying a second MS261. I thought hard about getting the larger 361, but almost everything I cut can be handled by the 261, and most of it is smaller stuff with a lot of branches. I went with the 261 because I prefer using a smaller/lighter saw and because I could use the same bars, chains, and files on the two saws. The bars and chains for the 361 are different.

Not crazy at all, two 261's would be great! Actually if I cut more I could definitely see the usefulness of having two saws.

/ Which Stihl for me? #65  
Put a 16" bar on one of the 261s and a 20" bar on the other. That'd be a very capable combination.

/ Which Stihl for me? #66  
Put a 16" bar on one of the 261s and a 20" bar on the other. That'd be a very capable combination.

That's exactly what I did. It is a good combo.

/ Which Stihl for me? #67  
I don't have a 261. I've had them in my hands at the dealer and imagining it in my truck but then I kick myself back to reality. Not like I need a saw as I have at least a dozen of them including two 026's and an 028 Super. It's just nice to have a "new" saw in my hands sometimes. I've heard good things about the MS261. Too bad it has those danged flippy caps...

/ Which Stihl for me? #68  
My suggestion for the OP is to get the additional bar and chain sooner rather than too late. The real use for a second bar and chain is so that when your saw is terminally pinched in a log, you can simply disconnect from the stuck bar/chain and replace with your other one, thence proceeding to (carefully) make cuts and free the imprisoned bar and chain.

/ Which Stihl for me? #70  
I don't have a 261. I've had them in my hands at the dealer and imagining it in my truck but then I kick myself back to reality. Not like I need a saw as I have at least a dozen of them including two 026's and an 028 Super. It's just nice to have a "new" saw in my hands sometimes. I've heard good things about the MS261. Too bad it has those danged flippy caps...

I probably didn't need my 261, the 026 is still running great. I use the 026 for dedicated firewood cutting and the 261 now rides with me in the pickup. I do not regret it, but I would have survived without it. It's flippy caps are better than some of my other saw's flippy caps, so maybe Stihl improved them. The Stihl MS261 is a very nice saw.