Which Stihl for me?

/ Which Stihl for me? #1  

wmonroe

Elite Member
Tractor
1958 Ford 961 Powermaster
I am researching buying my first chainsaw and have narrowed it down to a few models, a MS250, MS271, or MS290 all with 16" bars. The 271 and 290 give the option of also having a 20" bar but my dad has a saw with a 20" bar so that is not a huge concern. What I want is a saw that is going to last a long time and not be short on power. I don't put a lot of hours on a year, probably 30 - 50, so it is not used hard but I want a good saw. What are your thoughts on these models or is there a different model that would be better?
Thanks

/ Which Stihl for me? #2  
You cant go wrong with a farm boss ms 290. Don't bother with a 20'' bar the saw is just right with a 18'' with a 16'' it rips. If you need to run a 20'' bar get a skip chain

/ Which Stihl for me?
What is a skip chain?

/ Which Stihl for me?
Wow, that seems stupidly obvious now. Lol. Thanks

/ Which Stihl for me? #7  
Run an MS-250 with an 18 inch bar with a full chisel chain (see "A MORE AGGRESSIVE CHAIN" thread)

Generally like the saw, although it is a little light in theass it does everything I require of a chainsaw, especially now that I broke through the dealer's safety barrier and am running a full chisel chain.

Had it to over again, would probably purchase the MS-290.

You'll get a lot of criticism from the pseudo Paul Bunyan braggarts that these are "Harry Homeowner" toy saws.
Size and power wise that may be true, but if you aren't cutting the big stuff consistently, and if you aren't compelled to show off your saw prowess and especially if you don't want to wear yourself out lugging a huge saw all day, then these little Stihl saws fill the bill nicely.

I just took down a 40" white ash tree with the MS-250, sure it took a little extra 'conflugering' to down the tree, but it isn't worth owning a bigger saw just to down that big tree you run into every several years or so.

/ Which Stihl for me? #8  
You should consider the MS 261 with a 16" bar. It's similar to the saws you list, but more powerful and lighter. I have one and it is fantastic. It's very durable, easy to service, low on vibration, and very fuel efficient.

/ Which Stihl for me? #9  
Out of the saws you mention I would go with the 290. You may want to look at a MS362 is slightly heavier but more powerful and it is a professional saw.

/ Which Stihl for me? #10  
I second the opinion of the Stihl MS261. I have had mine for a few weeks now and every day it gets better. Very nice weight size and power for a 50cc saw.