Wind Snapped Poplars

/ Wind Snapped Poplars #11  
   / Wind Snapped Poplars #12  
I believe most of the posters from the Southeast are thinking about tulip (yellow) poplar. The OP is from MN, which is outside the reported range of that tree (Liriodendron tulipifera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Steve

That's a good point Steve. I am from the yellow or tulip poplar region and so maybe I do not know what the OP is dealing with. Our Poplar is shallow rooted and tends to get damaged easily in heavy weather. Breaks and splits easily when dead, you need to be careful when dropping one. The market value is low down here.

Still, with minimal tree felling experience and trees that still have hanging tops after two years, I would suggest the OP call someone else to drop them.

MarkV

/ Wind Snapped Poplars #13  
OFF Topic

My friend with the like new 6000i pulled the top and put a NOS 6800 on it.

Sweet. Did he notice a big difference? Cause honestly, I can't tell much difference between the ones i have.

/ Wind Snapped Poplars #14  
Back on topic....as to the trees, I really don't care what kind of tree it is, if it has a broke out top that is still hanging, it is dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

/ Wind Snapped Poplars #15  
My first method would be to get a rope around the living section and the dead hanging top and cinch that up to hold them together. As high as possible of course. Take that rope out in the direction of fall and get some decent tension on it. Have a spotter watching over the faller to let them know if it is ready to drop any widow makers. Since it is a soft pulpy wood your hinge will often be larger than a a hard wood tree. Making your face cuts look for dark rotted chips coming out which might indicate the tree is hollow and rotted out inside. That can affect your falling direction and amount of hinge wood. Then be ready to jump or run out of the way as you are doing your back cut. Those don't sound all that big so they should tip over fairly easy with a little pull on them. The other guys advice about bringing someone in that is more comfortable with those is also words of wisdom. Hindsight is 20/20 if you are sitting in the hospital room.

/ Wind Snapped Poplars #16  
Sweet. Did he notice a big difference? Cause honestly, I can't tell much difference between the ones i have.

Not yet and that was what I was wondering too. I'm going to take my old echo 702 70cc ( horizontal cylinder though) when we do run the 6800.

/ Wind Snapped Poplars #17  
Yea not much difference at all as one would think. For 60cc, it behaves like a much larger saw

/ Wind Snapped Poplars
I tend to be conservative when estimating my capabilities, particularly when injury or worse is possible. I'll call a professional. I will post pics so you all can see what I'm dealing with.

Thanks.

/ Wind Snapped Poplars #19  
Pics would be great. And I know its easy t forget, but take some pics when the pros are there

/ Wind Snapped Poplars #20  
Back on topic....as to the trees, I really don't care what kind of tree it is, if it has a broke out top that is still hanging, it is dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

I agree with LD1 they are dangerous if you do know what you are doing, I hate calls like that. The older I get the less I want to do them. Have somebody experienced help you even if you have to pay them. CJ