Wind Snapped Poplars

/ Wind Snapped Poplars #21  
Awaiting pics to advise on wether those are easily doable, otherwise just suck them dry like I did > with the chainsaw make 2 1'' deep cut around the tree one or two feet apart_ it will then dry up and fall weighing no more than cardboard. I did that to healthy poplar (quaking aspen) and other weed trees and they were down within 2-3 years with no damage to surrounding smaller trees.

/ Wind Snapped Poplars
Got home too late to take pics tonight. Will do tomorrow.

/ Wind Snapped Poplars
Here are some photos:

20130330_113755_resized.jpg
20130330_115455_resized - Copy.jpg
20130330_115458_resized.jpg
20130330_115503_resized.jpg

/ Wind Snapped Poplars #24  
I think those would be pretty easy to drop actually. Your biggest issue is because of the lean they are going to barber chair pretty easy. That can get you. A small face cut and a wee bit of a plunge cut then into the back cut. Still they are tall enough that they can rotate on the cut or barber chair on you.

/ Wind Snapped Poplars #25  
Boy what a mess. Some look worse than others. I'd start by cleaning up the stuff that is already down and dropping the ones that don't have tops hanging.

Once that is done start with some of the ones that aren't broke too high and get a feel for them if you are comfortable doing so. If things go well, work your way up in difficulty.
If at any point you are unsure...STOP.

There is a lot you can do now safely and cleaning up the mess will likely save you a lot of money if at some point you hire a pro.

/ Wind Snapped Poplars #28  
It happens mostly when a tree is either a hard leaner and/or being pushed on by some other force in the direction of the fall.

After you notch it, while on the backcut, before you get completed with the backcut, the force of the tree leaning (or another one leaning into it) can cause a vertical split up the base of the tree as seen in the pics.

This usually happens very suddenly and violently and if you are standing there......Its kinda like taking your fingers and flicking an ant.....well you are the ant and the tree is the finger:shocked:

/ Wind Snapped Poplars
That is after taking out some of the easy stuff and pulling a few broken tops off using the grapple. There is a fence just on the edge of the pasture that I guess I'm just going to have to deal with getting trashed.

I've done some web searching on leaning trees. I understand the small face cut (smaller pie depth wise). I'm concerned that some of those trees aren't that big, It make be difficult to make a plunge cut in and then essentially making the back cut inside out as the width of the blade plus hinge will almost be the edge of tree. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the best way to make the cuts.

/ Wind Snapped Poplars #30  
Kind of makes me want a 16 inch chainsaw with a 6 foot handle. Same idea as a pole saw but shorter handle and longer blade.

Bruce