Wind Snapped Poplars

/ Wind Snapped Poplars #1  

Maibox

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940; 1942 Farmall H (for sale)
Not sure if this is the right section, but since it involves chainsaws and felling trees....

We have about 20 poplars where the tops were snapped about 12-20' up with the tops still connected and on the ground in most cases (hanging in others--where the snap is higher). They were snapped in a wind storm the summer of 2011. I need to clear 5 or 6 out as they are impacting an area I need to fence for horses. In some cases, the snapped trees are right next to each other, in other cases there are other, non-damaged trees right next to the snapped trees. It's a real mess. If pictures would help, I can take some tomorrow.

I was able to pull a number of tops off using my tractor/grapple/chains -- tops had fallen over the fence into the pasture, so I could get at them. I'm looking for some advice on how to remove these snapped trees, given the weight of the top of the tree will impact any cutting. Trees are 10-14" at the stump.

I've cut my share of smaller trees, but I would not call myself experienced. If this is a job for pros, let me know. I have no pride when it comes to avoid serious injury.

Thanks in advance.

/ Wind Snapped Poplars #2  
Poplars are basically a weed tree. I just cleared 3 acres of mature trees and the poplars are the dirtiest and the most dangerous. If you want to take them down by yourself, you need to get the advice of someone that has some experience. You can tell what way the tree will fall by looking up at it from its base. You cannot make it fall any other way without roping it off and using force.

If you see which way the tree wants to fall, and its safe to let it fall that way then go ahead and cut it. If you have no experience on cutting big trees, at the very least, go to you tube and watch some videos on how to cut big trees. Learn the wedge cut and the back cut and have a nice big sharp saw thats up for the job. That my 2 cents.......oh, and be careful.

photo-102.jpg

Last edited:
   / Wind Snapped Poplars #3  
First I will defend poplars because I sold almost $8k worth off the back side of one of my hills just last year. I don't mind them at all. Unfortunately, trees as small as those you describe are not worth timbering. I have cut down many about that size to clear roadways and such. Generally you can tell which way they're going to fall. If not, I tie on a rope as high as I can reach with a ladder and put a come-along on it to add tension. I've never had a tree fall any way but that I wanted.

However, when using a chainsaw, if you are at all uncomfortable, ask around your neighborhood. Minnesota should be full of guys who have years of experience and certainly one or two will be happy to help with the cutting, particularly if you offer them a beer afterward... Or a coffee, if they prefer. I do a lot for my neighbors and they are always willing to help me with other things.

/ Wind Snapped Poplars #4  
First I will defend poplars because I sold almost $8k worth off the back side of one of my hills just last year. I don't mind them at all. Unfortunately, trees as small as those you describe are not worth timbering. I have cut down many about that size to clear roadways and such. Generally you can tell which way they're going to fall. If not, I tie on a rope as high as I can reach with a ladder and put a come-along on it to add tension. I've never had a tree fall any way but that I wanted.

However, when using a chainsaw, if you are at all uncomfortable, ask around your neighborhood. Minnesota should be full of guys who have years of experience and certainly one or two will be happy to help with the cutting, particularly if you offer them a beer afterward... Or a coffee, if they prefer. I do a lot for my neighbors and they are always willing to help me with other things.
I am not knocking poplars, just stating facts. You don't want them close to your home because they are weak and dirty. I know they will bring $, and are great for building some things, but they are just a fast growing tree that will snap under moderate wind. They are also very good eating for ants, and if you have any holes around the base, you can bet the tree is hollow.

photo-131.jpg

/ Wind Snapped Poplars #5  
Poplars don't have good root base,high/gusty winds easy to up root.

/ Wind Snapped Poplars #6  
Chances are very good the tree will fall in the direction the snapped top is hanging.

Check the tops for dead limbs that can fall. Make sure the base at area is clear, no wind and start felling. You may also notch the side opposite of the broken top and wait for the wind to blow them over. Make sure you start at the side the trees should fall to and work backwards from there.:)

There are many different types of poplar. :)

/ Wind Snapped Poplars #7  
These are wind damaged trees that have been standing dead for 2 years and some still have tops hanging. That to me adds up to danger. With minimal felling experience I would hire a pro to drop them and do the clean up yourself.

MarkV

/ Wind Snapped Poplars #8  
Just the bark off Tulip Poplars is worth money...if harvested and dried flat it can bring $3-$6 a SF rough...

/ Wind Snapped Poplars #9  
Very dangerous. Widow makers for sure for the inexperienced. If you cannot pull the broken tops down with a truck or tractor, don't even attempt cutting at the base with that top hanging over your head. It just ain't worth it.

And pics would help for sure.

/ Wind Snapped Poplars #10  

OFF Topic

My friend with the like new 6000i pulled the top and put a NOS 6800 on it.

On Topic. I have some poplars that it would take 2 people joining hands at least to get around. Not a limb forever looking up. Like to drop some for GTG wood someday or lumber like my dad did one time.