Chain Question

/ Chain Question #1  

PitbullMidwest

Platinum Member
Tractor
1998 Kubota L2900GST
I own a Husqvarna 142 with a serial number after 2006xxxx1 which means that it requires an R56 chain. This has never been an issue before but now I'm unable to find anyone locally that stocks this chain. 142s with serial numbers before 2006xxxx1 use the S56 chain and I can buy it anywhere.

According to the Oregon fit chart:
90 Micro Lite R56 chain: pitch = 3/8", gauge = .043", file size = 5/32"
91 Low Profile S56 chain: pitch = 3/8", gauge = .050, file size = 5/32"

Two questions:
a. Is there a different chain that is a direct substutute for the R56
b. Can I switch bars and use a S56 chain or would this require changing the sprocket as well?

I can still buy online but buying local whenever I need a chain is preferred.

Thanks in advance,
Pitbullmidwest

/ Chain Question #2  
I'd get a bar and chain to use the .050 myself.

Only place I know to get 043 is dealer or online. No big box stores or wally world going to carry that stuff. Only the common .050

/ Chain Question
I'd get a bar and chain to use the .050 myself.

Only place I know to get 043 is dealer or online. No big box stores or wally world going to carry that stuff. Only the common .050

Thats the thing, I've owned this saw since 2007 and this chain was carried by Lowes, Menards, Farm King, Sears and a local farm store as late as last fall and now none of them carry it. :confused: When I asked when they expected it to be back in stock, they all looked it up and and said it was discontinued.

So, I see that you do chainsaw repair, are you saying that I can swap out the bar without having to change the sprocket?

/ Chain Question #4  
Just change the bar with the newer style chain. The sprocket is set up to fit all chain gauges(width of drag link). The 90 chain is the narrow kerf chain, and is commonly used on lower power saws. The 91 can be used, but may pull a little harder.

/ Chain Question
Thanks to both xyz123 and RandyT for your replies, it isn't usually this simple :)