Anyone ever regretted buying an inertia splitter?

/ Anyone ever regretted buying an inertia splitter? #1  

AKwelder

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, 1953 International "Super C"
First, I do not see a splitter forum, if there is one my apologies. Maybe the moderators can add a log splitter forum? I know I have seen enough log splitter threads.

I was looking at purchasing a log splitter, and have really been looking at the inertia type. I know there is a higher cost at purchase, but with our cold weather I like the idea of there being no hydraulics. The cycle time is a great thing to me.

Has anyone who purchased one found any regrets? We live in Alaska so we will have no big rounds of oak or elm, just birch and spruce.

I see that there are two brands on the market that jump out, but I am sure there are more, one of the brands is DR, anyone got anything, good or bad, to say about these?

Thank you for any information

/ Anyone ever regretted buying an inertia splitter? #2  
I cannot help much but I would love to have one. So I will also be following this thread.

SuperSplit I think was the first. Not sure if it was patent issues or what, but it seems now others are popping up and following the SS design. DR and Speeco seem to be a few following that design.

I know there "was" some issues at first with the Speecos and stripping teeth off either the gear or rack. Not sure if they resolved that issue yet or not. I havent followed it in awhile...

/ Anyone ever regretted buying an inertia splitter? #3  
Who else make them besides Super Split and speeco? I wish there was one that was PTO driven.

/ Anyone ever regretted buying an inertia splitter? #4  
Wholy crap! I've never seen anything like that. Truly a unique use of flywheel technology. :shocked:

After doing some research; For decades old technology, they are very proud of them. Modifying an old punch press into this type of splitter may be worth looking into.

Last edited:
   / Anyone ever regretted buying an inertia splitter? #5  
I only know of two currently available--Super Split and DR Power. The SpeeCo SpeedPro had issues and is no longer shown on their website (search: SpeedPro recall). There was a Wood Wolf flywheel model, but I don't see their website anymore.

/ Anyone ever regretted buying an inertia splitter? #6  
I had one back in the 70's. but can't remember the name of it but it was like the Super Split video shone on You-Tube.
Certainly fast and it had two 75 lb. flywheels driven by a 3hp Briggs. Easy to keep working but DID require a little learning curve to operate and it had 4 little roller bearings to guide the ram head that need to be kept clean. The other problem was attacking bigger knots and running out of inertia and having the ram stuck up against the wood which would stick on the wedge. Sledge hammer time.
After that happens a couple times, ya learn which pieces will give it fits. I learned to disengage the ram BEFORE it stopped or slowed down. Kind of pounded the wood through the wedge and that worked well. It would cut through some nasty looking grain if you paid attention to what was going on. Certainly not as forgiving as a hydraulic machine but simple to keep running. I liked it, beat the crap out of swinging a wood maul on easier splitting wood. The nasty stuff I'd attack with the chainsaw.

/ Anyone ever regretted buying an inertia splitter? #7  
I've had a Super Split for almost 3 years now and absolutely love the thing. Do about 20 cords a year and splitting is now the least amount of time/work and the most fun! I saw one being used at a huge commercial firewood operation many years ago and decided right then I would own one at some point. Only regret is I didn't get it sooner...

The Super Split has be around for close to 30 years +/- and has a stellar reputation. I would not even consider a DR, or any other copy.

/ Anyone ever regretted buying an inertia splitter? #8  
The Speeco Speedpro (I think it was called) didn't make it. Too many problems. Cheaply made in China...