Chain Saw Safety

/ Chain Saw Safety #1  

RichNJKubota

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4310HST
After reading the posts on safety, I ordered and just received a Peltor Hard hat with metal face screen shield and hearing protection. Also got a pair of lumber pants - chaps. Both of these items came to $100 but that's cheap compared to injury.

/ Chain Saw Safety #2  
Good move, if I may be the first to say so.

Had a cedar log I was going to try to make something with, and needed to slice just a 4 inch slice off it, so log was held by backhoe bucket (firm and in air), all I needed to do was whack it.

First "whack", bad angle..made second cut & chain jumped off the bar and (thanks to the chain catcher on bottomo of saw) ended up harmless slapping me in the kneecap. (of course, for "just 1 cut") I wasn't wearing my chaps.

"dat don't happen anymore"

Good move by you....that's the first step...second step is using it/them religiously.

Richard

/ Chain Saw Safety #3  
I will be ordering the chaps and some specialized gloves too and I will not wear my "boat" shoes anymore time for some real shoes.

Lou

/ Chain Saw Safety #4  
Good move.

I have the stihl version of that helmet, and a set of chaps. Plus steel toe boots. Probably should get a set of gloves but i use heavy letaher fence gloves.

The helmets are great you may find other uses. I was using it a while back on a small excavator. Main driver was the noise, but the helmet would have helped had I turned it over.

Fred

/ Chain Saw Safety #5  
I bought Stihl chaps, kevlar mittens, helmet AND chainsaw boots with kevlar -- encourage everyone to get the boots -- often overlooked, but read about how many injuries are on the feet. When I use the saw, I take the time to put all of the above on; may not be "manly" to some, but the horror stories about saw injuries don't make that an issue for me. Altogether, I spent much more for the safety equipment than the saw itself. By the way, consider chaps that wrap around the calf, since the chain tends to "walk" when it contacts your leg -- AND, it does it VERY FAST.

Bill

/ Chain Saw Safety #6  
I really do like the idea of wearing ALL the gear. But I have one question I have been doing plenty of chainsawing this July and August..what do I wear for heatstroke ?/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If put on a helmet with full face shield, ear muffs, long gauntlet type gloves, chaps, steel toe boots, etc. I'll drop /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

In the winter I'll wear a suit of armor and be happy, right now I've compromised by wearing the gloves, ear protection and eyewear.

Not that it negates the need for safety gear but I have a Husky chainsaw and their safety features do work well. Several chain "derailments" and the safeties always worked well. Same for the kickback shutdown, it cuts it with even a MINOR "pop" upwards or any type of binding.

Now my possible stupidity no safety feature can makeup for /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Chain Saw Safety #7  
I do sympathize since I sweat buckets even when it's cool. Still, the research I did indicated that the average "simple" accident with a chain saw results in 200 stitches and $5000. Somewhere I found a schematic of a human figure with little dots showing where the injuries were located --- I wear ALL the gear ALL the time. If I recall, there are 45,000 chain saw accidents annually. For your consideration..... One more thing, all that safety stuff is a pain, UNTIL you need it. Just my 2 cents.

Bill

/ Chain Saw Safety #8  
From spring through summer and into winter every year, I cut at least 3-4 hours per day with a chainsaw. I do it for supplementary income. I don't even start my saw until all of my equipment is on. I have not had a chainsaw accident in 10 years but I cannot say that I havent came close. Felling trees is no joke, and either is bucking and limbing. Its relatively dangerous work compared to other things you can do. I have been whacked in the head a couple times by falling limbs (smaller ones) and thanked god that I had my helmet on. I pour sweat out of my helmet every 10 minutes or so in the summer, it is VERY hot wearing equipment. But just drink plenty of water and you will be fine. Be SAFE!
-Brad

/ Chain Saw Safety #9  
Bill:

Thats why you'all will hafta wait to see my finished fence. Too hot to wear all that stuff and hang onto a chainsaw.

Egon

/ Chain Saw Safety #10  
Also don't forget about about "helpers". Many chain saw accidents also happen to assistants that get too close. Whenever I'm working with my chainsaw I'm always very aware of whose around and where they are.