Just bought a Stihl......

/ Just bought a Stihl...... #11  
I have 2 Poulan Pros, a yellow and red one. Both run good, the yellow has been the best, starts and run reliable. The red starting is finicky , but will do the job. I had 3 green ones and ended up spending more money on them than they were worth....threw them in the trash. The MS 290 "plastic", just no comparison the Poulan "plastic" saws I have. Smooth,power I like it, time will tell on reliability. So far I do like it and wished I had bought one a long time ago.

I find this funny is you compare a plastic 290 56.5cc costing close to or more then $400 to $99-$129 36cc 42cc plastic poulans.

I compared a 50cc under $200 plastic poulan and would take it over twice the cost 290. Now that is JMO.

I hate working on the 290's I get in all the time. The poulan 50cc is simple to work on compared to 290 design and WAY over priced. Add a few more bucks and get a stihl 261 IMO or buy a used 026 260 for half of the plastic 290 cost.

/ Just bought a Stihl...... #12  
I still run the Stihl 041AV that my dad bought new in 1978. It was made in West Germany - an indicator of the era. It is heavy and likes to drink gas - but oh that deep-throated purr at idle. And some 35 years later, it is my go-to saw.

/ Just bought a Stihl......
I find this funny is you compare a plastic 290 56.5cc costing close to or more then $400 to $99-$129 36cc 42cc plastic poulans.

I compared a 50cc under $200 plastic poulan and would take it over twice the cost 290. Now that is JMO.

I hate working on the 290's I get in all the time. The poulan 50cc is simple to work on compared to 290 design and WAY over priced. Add a few more bucks and get a stihl 261 IMO or buy a used 026 260 for half of the plastic 290 cost.

I compared the Poulans I had to the Stihl I have. I am glad you find it funny. The 50cc Poulans are not common in this area, actually I had never seen one until the day I bought the Stihl. I stopped at a pawn shop and they had a 50cc Poulan in there. I tried getting it started with no luck and chain tensioner needed replacement. But for 80.00 price tag...I would have gambled if it would have at least fired or tried too. You do not walk into a store here and find a new 50cc Poulan on the shelf. I then went to the Stihl dealer and bought my plastic 290. Oh well I have pissed away more than 400.00 keeping the little Poulans running. I do like the way this saw feels, i like the way it will idle without dieing and I like the fast restart after fueling.

/ Just bought a Stihl...... #14  
Great saw....Stihl makes some good products. Congrats!:thumbsup:

/ Just bought a Stihl...... #15  
I have a Stihl 025 which I bought when we moved into our house in 1998 & a Stihl MS 310 which I bought about 6 years ago. I love them both - great saws. It's nice having 2 so when I screw up & get one bound up I can cut it free with the other!! I have the 025 in a case that's bungeed to the "floor" of the backhoe so I have it with me at all times when I'm out in the woods.

I couldn't afford 2 saws, so I bought 2 bars. Works almost as good. Just takes a little longer to change bars.

/ Just bought a Stihl...... #16  
I've not had good experiences with Stihl saws, but do have a FS110 trimmer that has been flawless.

Hopefully yours will be better than the 290 my brother has. Oiler problems since day one. Idling and starting problems for the last few years. Been in the shop numerous times and I've worked on it some. It is a POS and sits in a corner. I fixed him up with a couple of 12 year old pro quality saws of a different brand, now he is happy! :D