Sawing with a chain between ropes

/ Sawing with a chain between ropes #1  

stuckmotor

Tractor
AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs
Has anybody ever had any luck sawing off high limbs with a saw chain between two ropes? I was wondering whether to order one, make my own, or hire a bucket truck.

/ Sawing with a chain between ropes #2  
Has anybody ever had any luck sawing off high limbs with a saw chain between two ropes? I was wondering whether to order one, make my own, or hire a bucket truck.

No I haven't, but I have done this. I bought a nice pruning saw blade, removed the handle then bought a cheap paint roller handle, then cut the paint roller portion of the handle off, and welded on some 1/4-20 1/2 inch long bolts on what was left of the the handle and metal rod portion of the paint roller. The welded on bolts matched the pattern of the holes in the pruning saw blade. So now I have a pruning saw blade fastened securely onto a paint roller handle. The 3/4 coarse thread in the paint roller handle fits the my 24 foot paint extension pole. So think of a paint pole up to 24 foot long (or somewhere in there, not counting overlap) and a few extra feet of your height that you can stand on the ground and cut off limbs. Fairly economical also. Works pretty well, gets a little floppy when fully extended, but overall a good tool. I have cut off a lot of limbs with this homemade contraption.

James K0UA

/ Sawing with a chain between ropes #3  
   / Sawing with a chain between ropes
Thanks everybody. Some of the limbs I'm after are probably 40' high so, any kind of a pole saw would probably be too heavy to lift. I'm even afraid that rope stretch, at that distance, would be a big problem.

/ Sawing with a chain between ropes #7  
They will work. Main thing is limb splitting and tearing to where it drops and hangs by a little portion of the branch. If you can sort of make an under cut by coming away at an angle 45 degrees or so and sawing it. Basically a relief cut. Then make your top cut. They are handy but not nearly as efficient as a pole saw. Don't stand under it when doing the last cut. Another thing that helps is lasso the end of the branch to pull on it.

Egon,
Tell me more.

Treemonkey 1000,
Judging by your name and avitar, you should know. Thanks.

/ Sawing with a chain between ropes #10  
If they worked -there would be alot of cheap bucket trucks around.