question about chain problems

/ question about chain problems #1  

CJ7Diesel

Tractor
Mitsubishi D1600
I have a Husqvarna 445. It's an old one that someone gave me. They said it didn't work. I took it apart, cleaned it up, and put it back together and it has worked fine. Anyway, I've been using it to clear some land I just bought. It has been working fine, there has been some issues with the chains wearing out rather quickly. I was chalking it up to user error, running them too hot, not sharpening enough. So, I recently bought a new chain, the fourth one. I am having problems with it. The saw will bind up. The chain will randomly get either really loose or really tight. I could adjust it so its just right, rev the saw once and it will be hanging off the bar, or really, really tight. I've checked and double checked the size of the chain. All I can figure is maybe a bad sprocket? I only think that because that is the only thing that touches the chain. I just want to get some input before I start replacing parts.

Thanks
Chris

/ question about chain problems #2  
Is the chain gauge the same as the bar?:thumbsup:

/ question about chain problems
The gauge is right. When I first got the saw it had the wrong bar and I could not get the chain to work properly. Through a lot of research on chain sizing I became quite the expert on pitch, DL and gauge. Anyway, As I think back, It was the same exact issues hen when the chain was the wrong size as the issues I'm having now. Holding the chain, it seems different than the other chains I was using. I wonder if it is defective or in the wrong packaging.I'm no chainsaw expert but I feel like I'm going to be by the time this is all done....

No I didn't do that. I guess I just assumed it would be the right length

/ question about chain problems #7  
My Husquvarna dealer makes chains from bulk and boxes them according to size in boxes supplied by Oregon. It is Oregon bulk chain. If your dealer does this it is possible that it was mispackaged. If it was a Husqvarna blister packed chain, it is doubtful but certainly possible to be mispackaged.

/ question about chain problems #8  
most likely its a worn sprocket. If I were you, I'd visit a local dealer and show them what you got. They will be able to fire off an suggestion and parts for you. The parts will likely be much more then what you can get online but its a cheap diagnosis IMHO.

Thanks for everyone's input. I will post how it turns out.

/ question about chain problems #10  
Worn sprocket is my guess -- I can tell if you post a pic.