Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw?

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
I have owned 4 Craftsman chainsaws, the newest and biggest is a 42cc with an 18 inch bar, and have owned 3 16 inchers of the same brand and from what I understand, they are all made by Poulan. This Saturday TSC is selling the Poulan Wild Thing for $99.99, it's a 40cc with an 18 inch bar. As I am not a regular or heavy user of chainsaws, they last me a LONG time, even the cheapos. All of my Craftsmans still run, but the oldest one has broken bosses on the housing so I cannot use the bar and chain.

Anybody got feedback on the "Wild Thing"? Yes, it's garish looking as h***, but an 18 inch saw for $100 seems like a good deal.

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #2  
:laughing: I hate to admit here, after being a member (and reading) about the saw....for my purposes, it's done well, over the years (maybe 5-7 ). I've got a 2 or 3 chains, which I've sharpened by hand, or had sharpened, intermittently, over the years.

I also have a much larger poulan, that I don't have a clue about...but I've done some good work with, over the years.

This site has me salivating over some "real" saws, though...we'll see.

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #3  
I think the new wild things are strato design 40cc or the non AV version of 4018. Most problems I have see with the saws are by owners not knowing how to tune or do simple maintenance. Just keep a eye on fuel lines for cracking.

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #4  
I also have a much larger poulan, that I don't have a clue about...but I've done some good work with, over the years.

This site has me salivating over some "real" saws, though...we'll see.

Come on man your killing me, whats your much larger poulan? cc?

Real saws? LMAO I've owned them all and they all make plastic and they all make or made real saws.

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #5  
i have one from? a few years ago. runs good... sometimes don't like to idle when cold.. but.. if I had to buy another and it was 99$ I would. I recall paying more for mine....

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #6  
Come on man your killing me, whats your much larger poulan? cc?

Real saws? LMAO I've owned them all and they all make plastic and they all make or made real saws.

Orang-ish..maybe 45-55 cc? It's down in the crawl-space. :D I cut a coupla big-arse (for me) trees with it...a buncha years ago - 8-12?

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw?
i have one from? a few years ago. runs good... sometimes don't like to idle when cold.. but.. if I had to buy another and it was 99$ I would. I recall paying more for mine....

Thanks Soundguy...my Craftsmans, especially the newer ones, are the same way...don't want to idle well when cold.

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #8  
once I've made a few cuts.. or a good long cut it will idle.. but then.. I don;t particuarly like an idling saw all the time either.

many times i'm doiung fencing or someting.. and I may make a cut on a board or a top.. and then work up another 16'.. etc.. and I'll just let her cut off during that time.

i tell ya. chainsaw on a farm is a great tool. poor mans skill saw.. gas powered. :)

I can't rememebr the last time i used a skill saw to cut fence boars or capple panels to size :)

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #9  
I had one a few years back. It lasted a good long time. I think the cover bolt snapped around the engine case. Not sure what you call that.

I abused it, mis-used it and never took care of it.

I have another Poulan now, just had good luck with them for my use. I recall paying around 100 bucks way back when for the wild thing too. It was a deal, I just could not pass on.

/ Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw? #10  
I had a couple once and broke both of them in short time trying to use them for big stuff. They are good for small stuff & or de limbing