Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Default Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw?

I have owned 4 Craftsman chainsaws, the newest and biggest is a 42cc with an 18 inch bar, and have owned 3 16 inchers of the same brand and from what I understand, they are all made by Poulan. This Saturday TSC is selling the Poulan Wild Thing for $99.99, it's a 40cc with an 18 inch bar. As I am not a regular or heavy user of chainsaws, they last me a LONG time, even the cheapos. All of my Craftsmans still run, but the oldest one has broken bosses on the housing so I cannot use the bar and chain.

Anybody got feedback on the "Wild Thing"? Yes, it's garish looking as h***, but an 18 inch saw for $100 seems like a good deal.
    Rather than worry about the things you want but don't have, be grateful for the things you don't want and don't have.

I didn't plan to do much of anything today, but by noon I was almost half done.

Tractor
    ShovelandBarrow

Default Re: Anybody here got a Poulan "Wild Thing" saw?

I hate to admit here, after being a member (and reading) about the saw....for my purposes, it's done well, over the years (maybe 5-7 ). I've got a 2 or 3 chains, which I've sharpened by hand, or had sharpened, intermittently, over the years.

I also have a much larger poulan, that I don't have a clue about...but I've done some good work with, over the years.

This site has me salivating over some "real" saws, though...we'll see.
    ____
    Jay

Tractor
    none now

I think the new wild things are strato design 40cc or the non AV version of 4018. Most problems I have see with the saws are by owners not knowing how to tune or do simple maintenance. Just keep a eye on fuel lines for cracking.
    REDNECK Chainsaw Repair

Tractor
    none now

Quote Originally Posted by J F View Post
    I also have a much larger poulan, that I don't have a clue about...but I've done some good work with, over the years.

This site has me salivating over some "real" saws, though...we'll see.
    Come on man your killing me, whats your much larger poulan? cc?

Real saws? LMAO I've owned them all and they all make plastic and they all make or made real saws.
    REDNECK Chainsaw Repair

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

i have one from? a few years ago. runs good... sometimes don't like to idle when cold.. but.. if I had to buy another and it was 99$ I would. I recall paying more for mine....

Tractor
    ShovelandBarrow

Quote Originally Posted by xyz123 View Post
    Come on man your killing me, whats your much larger poulan? cc?

Real saws? LMAO I've owned them all and they all make plastic and they all make or made real saws.

Orang-ish..maybe 45-55 cc? It's down in the crawl-space. I cut a coupla big-arse (for me) trees with it...a buncha years ago - 8-12?
    ____
    Jay

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    i have one from? a few years ago. runs good... sometimes don't like to idle when cold.. but.. if I had to buy another and it was 99$ I would. I recall paying more for mine....
    Thanks Soundguy...my Craftsmans, especially the newer ones, are the same way...don't want to idle well when cold.
    Rather than worry about the things you want but don't have, be grateful for the things you don't want and don't have.

I didn't plan to do much of anything today, but by noon I was almost half done.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

once I've made a few cuts.. or a good long cut it will idle.. but then.. I don;t particuarly like an idling saw all the time either.

many times i'm doiung fencing or someting.. and I may make a cut on a board or a top.. and then work up another 16'.. etc.. and I'll just let her cut off during that time.

i tell ya. chainsaw on a farm is a great tool. poor mans skill saw.. gas powered.

I can't rememebr the last time i used a skill saw to cut fence boars or capple panels to size

Tractor
    Kubota's, John Deere's

I had one a few years back. It lasted a good long time. I think the cover bolt snapped around the engine case. Not sure what you call that.

I abused it, mis-used it and never took care of it.

I have another Poulan now, just had good luck with them for my use. I recall paying around 100 bucks way back when for the wild thing too. It was a deal, I just could not pass on.

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

I had a couple once and broke both of them in short time trying to use them for big stuff. They are good for small stuff & or de limbing
    Yanmar 3110D
    07 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    North Star 4 K PSI pressure washer
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak