Electric Chainsaw Suggestions

/ Electric Chainsaw Suggestions #1  

toyotractor

Greetings all:

I wonder if any members have experience and opinions with electric chains saws.

I am currently using a Poulan electric saw for light branch cuts which works reasonable well but want something with as much power as possible (for an electric saw) for trunk cuts, an automatic chain oilier and assume more robustness.

The Husqvarna 316 comes up with mixed reviews since production seems to have moved to China.

Makita makes a UC3530A, any opinions.

A 14-inch bar is fine.

Not looking to cut cords of firewood (I already have more then enough), just cut occasional small dia trees into liftable sections to trailer and haul to the recycling center.

I realize limits in terms of extension cord length and gauge size, and of course less power then gas but the reduction in noise level is worth it to those within ear shot!

Thanks
Toyo

/ Electric Chainsaw Suggestions #2  
I only have experence with a small remington elec.(14'' bar) that I have on a pole saw.All I can tell you, is that it works good on small limbs.I have never tried to fell a tree with it, or de limb a felled tree with it

/ Electric Chainsaw Suggestions #3  
Sorry to hear that the Husqvarna is poorly reviewed these days. I have one I wouldn't trade for any gas saw made. But, it's nearly 20 years old. I use a Husky 55 in the woods, bring the wood in from the woods in 4 foot lengths, then buck the 4 footers into 16" sections with the electric. With equally prepared chains, it cuts just as fast or faster than the Husky 55.

/ Electric Chainsaw Suggestions #4  
I have a 18 inch poulan electric that I use around the house. It seems to have good power and I've cut down a tree with it that was about a foot diameter. It is definitely LOUD - kinda a loud high pitch whine that hurts my ears more than a gas model. Ear protection is a must. Can't remember what I paid for it but I think is was pretty cheap.

41unLqrlNYL._SY355_.jpg

/ Electric Chainsaw Suggestions #5  
The Makita UC4030A is a pretty nice electric chainsaw. It is comparable to a small gas chain saw. I bought one to be able to cut firewood early in the morning or at night when I needed to without disturbing the neighbors. The sound of a gas chainsaw carries quite a distance.

Ken

/ Electric Chainsaw Suggestions #6  
Greetings all:

I wonder if any members have experience and opinions with electric chains saws.

I am currently using a Poulan electric saw for light branch cuts which works reasonable well but want something with as much power as possible (for an electric saw) for trunk cuts, an automatic chain oilier and assume more robustness.

The Husqvarna 316 comes up with mixed reviews since production seems to have moved to China.

Makita makes a UC3530A, any opinions.

A 14-inch bar is fine.

Not looking to cut cords of firewood (I already have more then enough), just cut occasional small dia trees into liftable sections to trailer and haul to the recycling center.

I realize limits in terms of extension cord length and gauge size, and of course less power then gas but the reduction in noise level is worth it to those within ear shot!

Thanks
Toyo

For the small stuff I use this cordless reciprocating saw with a 12" pruning blade, and a Li-ion battery. The way it is balanced, you can hold it with one hand.

spin_prod_241026301 (Large).jpg

/ Electric Chainsaw Suggestions #7  
The Makita I mentioned I have used on 12 - 14" stuff and that is a little slow. Reasonably fast on 6 - 8" logs.

Ken

/ Electric Chainsaw Suggestions #8  
Amp rating plus visual inspection should tell you a lot.

There are a few big name brands that have all the features that have been mentioned. :)

I have one as below. No complaints. Previously an inexpensive 9 in. Bar model of unknown make served me well for almost 35 years. It did see a rough life. My Daughter is currently using it.

12 Amp 16" Electric Chainsaw
EARTHWISE Item #5240-091 Model #CS30016
$119.99 EA
Add to Shopping List
Share on email Share on print Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on pinterest_share Share

Disclaimer
Not all items shown are stocked in store but can be special ordered. Please contact your local Home Store for more information.
Sign up for Home Hardware emails and get exclusive online savings, sneak peeks at money-saving flyers, email-only promotions and much more.

Overview
Electric

12 amp
Oregon bar and chain
Tool-less chain tension
Automatic bar and chain oiling
Automatic oiling of motor
Oil level window/gauge
Safety tip blade/anti kickback
Protective blade cover
Cord retention hook
Double insulated cord
Rubber over moulded handle
Replacement chain: HH #5241-650
Replacement bar: HH #5241-188

Last edited:
   / Electric Chainsaw Suggestions #9  
I have a Homelite with the 14" bar. A couple of years ago, when a little storm blew a tree down in the backyard and blocked the door to my garden tool storage shed, I went to Home Depot and got the cheapest thing they had. And it's a surprisingly good little saw. Later, a friend had a tree fall on his fence and I went over there and we cut it up with this little saw.

/ Electric Chainsaw Suggestions
Thanks to all the responded.

Lots of good info and feed back!

Thanks!