Got to try my 24" bar on hardwood today

/ Got to try my 24" bar on hardwood today #1  

BlackRaptor

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
I've been using using my 18" bar for almost everything but today i decided to pop on the 24" bar and try it. granted most of this limb was hallow so it wasnt a full load for it but part of it was solid and totally sunk the bar. it handled it well but you can tell 24" in hardwood is a load for this saw but for the few times i need a huge bite its worth having around.

Also finished my wood cutting carry all i use to haul my gear into the woods and the logs out of the woods.
I posted a couple pictures in the attachment section if anyone is interested in my wood cutting rig.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/278257-finished-my-carry-all-i.html

20130428_182428.jpg

/ Got to try my 24" bar on hardwood today #2  
Raptor,

Look into a loop of semi skip for that 460 Rancher. 24" on 'em is definately pushing the limits, and they get touchy, which slows down the cutting, and heats up the clutch.

Just going to semi-skip reduces the number of teeth in the kerf, which lightens the load on the saw, while maintaining the bar length.
It's a slight bit slower in smaller stuff, but you don't use the 24" in smaller stuff.;)

Heck, I run skip on 24's and larger as a rule, simply because of the number of teeth ya gotta file. A loop of full comp on a 24, takes forever to touch up, and any speed gained in the cut, is lost in filing time. LOL!!

Check your local Oregon dealer, and Baileys or Madsens.

/ Got to try my 24" bar on hardwood today
Thanks good info i should do that. in pine this chain does fine but in hardwood she gets a little slow i don't want to overwork the saw. most of the stuff i was cutting looked like this.
20130428_181835.jpg

/ Got to try my 24" bar on hardwood today #4  
Sorry BR but this is no test at all to measure your saws cutting prowess with a 24" bar. The real test would be to bury your bar in a solid 28" piece of hardwood. Be careful if you do and not feed the saw too fast.

/ Got to try my 24" bar on hardwood today #5  
Raptor,

Look into a loop of semi skip for that 460 Rancher. 24" on 'em is definately pushing the limits, and they get touchy, which slows down the cutting, and heats up the clutch.

Just going to semi-skip reduces the number of teeth in the kerf, which lightens the load on the saw, while maintaining the bar length.
It's a slight bit slower in smaller stuff, but you don't use the 24" in smaller stuff.;)

Heck, I run skip on 24's and larger as a rule, simply because of the number of teeth ya gotta file. A loop of full comp on a 24, takes forever to touch up, and any speed gained in the cut, is lost in filing time. LOL!!

Check your local Oregon dealer, and Baileys or Madsens.
Thanks for the info, and Thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

/ Got to try my 24" bar on hardwood today
I agree a hollow log is no test the above picture had the bar totally sunk. though its getting soft in the middle still.
I'll talk to my husq dealer about a skip chain. granted 95% of my cutting is with the 18" bar. the 460 flat out rips with an 18" bar.

/ Got to try my 24" bar on hardwood today #7  
I agree a hollow log is no test the above picture had the bar totally sunk. though its getting soft in the middle still.
I'll talk to my husq dealer about a skip chain. granted 95% of my cutting is with the 18" bar. the 460 flat out rips with an 18" bar.

It'll be good to have if you want to use your 24" bar with any efficacy at all for that occasional thick piece.

/ Got to try my 24" bar on hardwood today #8  
a 20 '' bar/chain should do well on a 460. I was going to buy a 460 for a 24'' bar/chain and the guys talked me into a 372xp. I'm glad I bought it . 24 '' bar/chain is nothing for a 372. I might be able to slow it down with a 28''bar/chain

/ Got to try my 24" bar on hardwood today #9  
a 20 '' bar/chain should do well on a 460. I was going to buy a 460 for a 24'' bar/chain and the guys talked me into a 372xp. I'm glad I bought it . 24 '' bar/chain is nothing for a 372. I might be able to slow it down with a 28''bar/chain

That's a proper displacement for a 24" bar. It'll slow some with a 28" but its still a viable cutter with that bar.

/ Got to try my 24" bar on hardwood today #10  
The 55 rancher I have is a real slug with a 20'' bar/chain It would Probably do better with an 18 on it