Stihl 019T Oil Pump Fix?

/ Stihl 019T Oil Pump Fix? #1  

dave1949

Super Star Member
Tractor
Hanomag
My 019T Stihl's bar/chain oil pump isn't working. The bar and chain are very dry, beyond the point of being usable.

I noticed last Fall that it was slowing way down on oil use, and now it uses no oil. I ran some WD40 in the oil tank for a few minutes, then some 10W-30 motor oil thinking that might help, but it didn't.

The saw is 8 years old, has had a lot of use but still runs good, starts easy. Is it worth fixing the oil pump? How difficult is the repair? Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks.

/ Stihl 019T Oil Pump Fix? #2  
I see them on Ebay for about $12. So they are cheap enough. I don't believe they are that hard to replace. First thing to check is make sure the oil port on the bar is clear. You can run the saw without the bar on it and see if oil oozes out of the port.

/ Stihl 019T Oil Pump Fix? #3  
Fix it if it is a saw that you use.

I dont know the 019t. But check inside the tank and make sure the filter/strainer isnt clogged and then trace the line to the oiler and then from oiler to crankcase to make sure it is clear.

/ Stihl 019T Oil Pump Fix?
I see them on Ebay for about $12. So they are cheap enough. I don't believe they are that hard to replace. First thing to check is make sure the oil port on the bar is clear. You can run the saw without the bar on it and see if oil oozes out of the port.

Fix it if it is a saw that you use.

I dont know the 019t. But check inside the tank and make sure the filter/strainer isnt clogged and then trace the line to the oiler and then from oiler to crankcase to make sure it is clear.

Those are both good ideas. I gave it a good cleaning and I'm pretty sure the oil port is clear, but I will try running it without the bar. Failing that, I may as well tear it down, it's of no use the way it is.

I would use it if I could fix it, but given it's age, I doubt it's worth paying someone to fix it, that was the Stihl dealer's opinion when I asked.

The 019t is a top handle 12"-14" trimming saw with a pico chain. It used to be a light saw, now it's heavy compared to the newer ones that have more plastic.

Thanks to both of you.

/ Stihl 019T Oil Pump Fix? #5  
My 019T Stihl's bar/chain oil pump isn't working. The bar and chain are very dry, beyond the point of being usable.

I noticed last Fall that it was slowing way down on oil use, and now it uses no oil. I ran some WD40 in the oil tank for a few minutes, then some 10W-30 motor oil thinking that might help, but it didn't.

The saw is 8 years old, has had a lot of use but still runs good, starts easy. Is it worth fixing the oil pump? How difficult is the repair? Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks.

I would fix the saw if it was mine. A service/Repair manual can be found here: http://www.worldoftrainz.com/Downloads/Files/Stihl/019T Service Manual.pdf. The manual is 14.95 megs so be prepared for a wait on the download. Start at section 9.2 in the manual. You will also want to read section 4.1 on engine removal. The saw has to be completely disassembled. I would also replace the rings in the engine while I had it apart. You may contact your local Stihl Dealer on gasket availability. You may have to visit Harbor Freight and purchase gasket material along with gasket hole cutting tools and a box cutter or art knife if you have to make the gaskets.

Good luck

/ Stihl 019T Oil Pump Fix?
I would fix the saw if it was mine. A service/Repair manual can be found here: http://www.worldoftrainz.com/Downloads/Files/Stihl/019T Service Manual.pdf. The manual is 14.95 megs so be prepared for a wait on the download. Start at section 9.2 in the manual. You will also want to read section 4.1 on engine removal. The saw has to be completely disassembled. I would also replace the rings in the engine while I had it apart. You may contact your local Stihl Dealer on gasket availability. You may have to visit Harbor Freight and purchase gasket material along with gasket hole cutting tools and a box cutter or art knife if you have to make the gaskets.

Good luck

Luck may be in order. Wow, that is a great resource and I thank you very much. I saved a local copy on my PC.

I am hoping for a simple clogged oil pickup. It will probably be a while until I work on it, but I'll post back.

Thanks.

/ Stihl 019T Oil Pump Fix? #7  
One other thing about chainsaws. The rings in most chainsaws have slanted stepped ends. The slanted ends are placed against a pin in the ring groove. Stihl usually has two rings on their pistons. The rings are brittle and will break very easy, especially the slanted stepped ends.

/ Stihl 019T Oil Pump Fix? #8  
Luck may be in order. Wow, that is a great resource and I thank you very much. I saved a local copy on my PC.

I am hoping for a simple clogged oil pickup. It will probably be a while until I work on it, but I'll post back.

Thanks.

Well? What happened? I'm curious because I have 50 pieces of Stihl 019T spread all over my bench with an inoperative oiler. I checked everything and it appears to be the oil pump itself. Not sure how to get it out of the case though... I may try the manual download if I get somewhere with broadband.

Also, the 019T IS a plastic body saw and just as light as other stuff on the market. (at least mine is)