New Saw on the Way!!!

/ New Saw on the Way!!!
Trashed my 15 year old Stihl 025 today taking down a tree that didn't go the direction I expected/intended. I'm fine as is everything but the saw RIP. Doesn't owe me a cent. A new Stihl 250 may be in my near future.

That reminds me of a local guy here that does logging. About two years ago he bought a new stihl 361. The first day he used it a big tree fell on it and smashed it. He was just sick over it and then bought another one. The very next day he was driving down the road with his tractor and the new saw on the rear carrier he had for his tools. When he got to the job the saw was gone. It must have fallen off some how. He retraced his route, but never was able to locate it. I would have called it quits after that. :(

/ New Saw on the Way!!!
The good news is that my dual port muffler finally came in. I installed it last night and I can't wait to try it out.
It's supposed to thunder shower all day so I may have to be a little more patient. I also still need to adjust the carb.

/ New Saw on the Way!!! #33  
The good news is that my dual port muffler finally came in. I installed it last night and I can't wait to try it out.
It's supposed to thunder shower all day so I may have to be a little more patient. I also still need to adjust the carb.

Did you get the aftermarket DP cover that runs about $20. If so after some run time let me know how they hold up.

The new oem ones have went out of site price wise.

/ New Saw on the Way!!! #34  
New oem around $60 now which is crazy IMO.

/ New Saw on the Way!!!
I bought the aftermarket one.

I adjusted the carb to run a little richer.

When I turned the "H" screw counter clockwise 1/4 turn it sounded right, but the screw will not turn any further that direction. Is that correct?

/ New Saw on the Way!!! #36  
Hey Gene,
Congratulations on the new 660. I have one myself I bought new in 2009. I had the factory dual port installed on my saw when it was new. You should have yours checked with a tach and set at about 13,500 RPM. I also installed the high output piston and control bolt in my oil pump. These are available from Stihl and are for Australian saws that require more chain oil. With this modification my 36" chain keeps the "wet" look after use. Have fun and be careful, they have tremendous power

Steve

/ New Saw on the Way!!! #37  
I bought the aftermarket one.

I adjusted the carb to run a little richer.

When I turned the "H" screw counter clockwise 1/4 turn it sounded right, but the screw will not turn any further that direction. Is that correct?

You have stops on them H L from factory to keep you from getting full adjustments. If you are 4 stroking and clearing up in cut you would be good. If not might have someone check it at WOT with a tach.

/ New Saw on the Way!!! #38  
Trashed my 15 year old Stihl 025 today taking down a tree that didn't go the direction I expected/intended. I'm fine as is everything but the saw RIP. Doesn't owe me a cent. A new Stihl 250 may be in my near future.

I did the same thing with one of my 039 saws. Made the notch, Started the cut, Wind changed and the 26" 90' tall Red Elm turned on its axis perfectly taking the saw around with it. When the power head got to the notch, The tree was so heavy it turned a little more and demolished the crank case and gas tank. Crushed it like a grape.. I did buy a new case and tank. it took all day to switch parts to the new body. When the tree finally fell, It took a more favorable path and landed right on the road. Scary stuff. be careful out there.

/ New Saw on the Way!!! #39  
That reminds me of a local guy here that does logging. About two years ago he bought a new stihl 361. The first day he used it a big tree fell on it and smashed it. He was just sick over it and then bought another one. The very next day he was driving down the road with his tractor and the new saw on the rear carrier he had for his tools. When he got to the job the saw was gone. It must have fallen off some how. He retraced his route, but never was able to locate it. I would have called it quits after that. :(

That's how i got my 044 a couple years ago. I pulled over to look in my planner and noticed some orange in the ditch. Went in and pulled out a mint shape 044 with bar cover. Since I was 90 miles from home i ran an ad in that local paper and heard nothing back. She has been chewing up trees ever since. (( Sure would like to run that 660 though ))

/ New Saw on the Way!!! #40  
That's how i got my 044 a couple years ago. I pulled over to look in my planner and noticed some orange in the ditch. Went in and pulled out a mint shape 044 with bar cover. Since I was 90 miles from home i ran an ad in that local paper and heard nothing back. She has been chewing up trees ever since. (( Sure would like to run that 660 though ))

A 044 is a good cutting saw.