Hard starting Stihl 029

/ Hard starting Stihl 029 #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
I use only ethanol free gas, mixed with Stihl oil. Full choke, pull, pull, pull, it's hard to pull, but after a dozen pulls it gets easier, A few more pulls, go to half choke, pull a few more times, it usually then starts & runs fine. No clouds of smoke when it starts. Sometimes I give up, check the plug, it's dry. After running, if I shut it down, it starts right up first pull.

It's been to 3 shops, no solution.

With arthritis in my hands, I need a solution or an easier starting saw.

Suggestions?

Thanks

/ Hard starting Stihl 029 #2  
Has the saw been used a lot?

/ Hard starting Stihl 029 #3  
I use only ethanol free gas, mixed with Stihl oil. Full choke, pull, pull, pull, it's hard to pull, but after a dozen pulls it gets easier, A few more pulls, go to half choke, pull a few more times, it usually then starts & runs fine. No clouds of smoke when it starts. Sometimes I give up, check the plug, it's dry. After running, if I shut it down, it starts right up first pull.

It's been to 3 shops, no solution.

With arthritis in my hands, I need a solution or an easier starting saw.

Suggestions?

Thanks

You clue is above in your text: red for emphasis~ fuel delivery problem. You seem to have spark- you also need fuel delivery. With both, and good compression saw should start no problem.
Try someone who actually knows how to fix Stihl saws- ask the local tree guys who they use.

/ Hard starting Stihl 029 #4  
So have they changed the fuel tank filter? What does the air filter look like? Look for a soft fuel line as well or even cracked fuel line.

/ Hard starting Stihl 029 #5  
I'd put a new diaphragm in it.

/ Hard starting Stihl 029 #6  
Did you guys notice he said it is hard to pull?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using TractorByNet

/ Hard starting Stihl 029 #7  
Yes I saw the hard to pull part he is getting it started though. Hard to pull could be recoil starter gummed up

/ Hard starting Stihl 029 #8  
I had a leaf blower one time that was wore out and it was hard to crank or it would lock up when it was running. You had to take the side cover off and turn it backwards to free it up. I think the crank was moving on it and binding. I hope his saw does not have a similar problem. I guess he should take the recoil off and make sure it is free and working properly.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using TractorByNet

/ Hard starting Stihl 029 #9  
If the carb don't pull up gas, Hard to start. It will start after 10 pulls but a new diaphragm will take it back to 3 pulls. I only say this because I just did it. I have an 034 that runs strong and has a ton of snort but started hard,. 8-9 pulls. re-did the diaphragm in the carb and she is a 3 pull unit now. Did it to my 044 the next day..same results.

/ Hard starting Stihl 029 #10  
If the carb don't pull up gas, Hard to start. It will start after 10 pulls but a new diaphragm will take it back to 3 pulls. I only say this because I just did it. I have an 034 that runs strong and has a ton of snort but started hard,. 8-9 pulls. re-did the diaphragm in the carb and she is a 3 pull unit now. Did it to my 044 the next day..same results.
I've 4 Stihls. 088, 660, 660, 021. When not warmed up all of them take three pulls at full choke and then two pulls at half choke.