Stihl 011 AVT questions

/ Stihl 011 AVT questions #1  

Dan Hunter

Platinum Member
Tractor
2012 John Deere 3720 eHydro
I recently acquired a 011 AVT for 40 bucks. Removing the chain sprocket cover, it shows no describable wear on the guides and seems to have seen little use. The bar seems to have seen a lot of heat and I did notice on the manual I downloaded that it's shipped w/o oil so it probably saw some initial abuse. I like it because it seems to be built stoutly and fits nicely between my 260 pro and 192T. I intend to mount a plastic "milk crate" on the back of the tractor and leave it in there with some fuel, bar oil, a file and such.

Question: Are people really running 40:1? I'm running 50:1 on all my 2-stroke equipment.

Question: Is it possible to retro on a handle from a different model that extends further back?

Question: Are there any things on this specific model I need to keep an eye on?

/ Stihl 011 AVT questions #2  
I run 40:1 in everything.

Mainly cause I have a 2 gallon can, and the 2.5 gallon mix bottles of oil are cheaper than buying 2 1-gallon bottles.

/ Stihl 011 AVT questions #3  
Running Opti2 which I believe is 50/1. I run that in all of my 2 stroke stuff young and old and haven't had any problems. I do use the high octane fuel as well. Those are nice little saws. Make sure oil port in bar is open if it has one. You might even fire it up without bar and side cover on to see if oiler is working at all.

/ Stihl 011 AVT questions
Running Opti2 which I believe is 50/1. I run that in all of my 2 stroke stuff young and old and haven't had any problems. I do use the high octane fuel as well. Those are nice little saws. Make sure oil port in bar is open if it has one. You might even fire it up without bar and side cover on to see if oiler is working at all.

Darn good call on the verification of oiling. Funny thing, the manual indicated that high octane has benzol that damages diaphragms and recommends regular.

/ Stihl 011 AVT questions #5  
That's a nice saw. I have one my dad left me and it's a fine limbing saw.

/ Stihl 011 AVT questions #6  
Yeah I think your saw is Pre ethanol times and would be more worried about the stupid ethanol in gas. I just spent 2 weeks in Oklahoma on a Mission trip helping clean up after the 1st tornado then we got hit with 5 more so I stayed on. Driving around there though I noticed a lot of gas stations saying whether or not they sold non ethanol gas. You can't get non ethanol here in Washington state. Maybe because there were so many oil derricks pumping oil out of the ground around there the Congressman said heck no we won't put that corny stuff in our gas?

/ Stihl 011 AVT questions #7  
When I bought my Stihl 4 stroke FS trimmer, last year, the dealer said if I bought a 6 pack of their 2 stroke oil, he'd throw in a year extended warranty. So I've been using the orange bottle stuff in all my 2 stroke gear at 50:1. Keep the handle as it is - it's nicely balanced for working in a crowded place (like a tree crown) without being unwieldly.

/ Stihl 011 AVT questions
You know, think I'm going to use a masonry bit and drill four holes in the top of my ballast barrel, bolt a plastic milk crate to the top and use that to haul the saw and some fuel/oil/tools when shearing trees. After I bash the branches down on a tree I can't shear I can use the saw to cut it then rather than come back later. My 192T has surprised me as to what it'll take down and this saw falls between it and my 260 Pro.