Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Silver Member Johnkn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    201
    Location
    Laplata, MD
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25-D

    Default Stihl MS261 Pricing

    Hi, I'm considering a new MS261 purchase. I see that Stihl closely controls pricing and sales. Going to my local dealer, if I purchased a new MS261, hard case, chaps, helmet, gloves, and bar oil, what discount of DSRP might I expect? Thank you
    December, 2014 Kubota BX25D with factory thumb, Land Pride grapple, Bro-Tek wheel spacers, BXpanded under armor, BXpanded Piranha tooth bar, BXpanded 5/16 chain hooks and slip hook, Bro-Tek ripper tooth. BXpanded back hoe quick attach, BXpanded trench bucket, BXpanded backhoe trailer receiver, BXpanded ripper tooth, 2014 14' 14k/lb Sure Trac dump trailer. 2015 Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" chainsaw...

  2. #2
    Super Member TomSeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    8,694
    Location
    .
    Tractor
    JD, Massey, Kubota, Case

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnkn View Post
    Hi, I'm considering a new MS261 purchase. I see that Stihl closely controls pricing and sales. Going to my local dealer, if I purchased a new MS261, hard case, chaps, helmet, gloves, and bar oil, what discount of DSRP might I expect? Thank you
    When I bought mine I went to a number of dealers and asked each. A smaller dealer was willing to negotiate. I don't recall the exact discount but want to say it was about 10%. A lot of them will not negotiate, but since I knew exactly what I wanted, the one guy worked with me. After that I went back to him and bought a Stihl combo unit which he worked with me on the price as well.

  3. #3
    Veteran Member xring100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,470
    Location
    Livingston County, Michigan
    Tractor
    Kubota M8540, ZD1211 60"

    Default Re: Stihl MS261 Pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnkn View Post
    Hi, I'm considering a new MS261 purchase. I see that Stihl closely controls pricing and sales. Going to my local dealer, if I purchased a new MS261, hard case, chaps, helmet, gloves, and bar oil, what discount of DSRP might I expect? Thank you
    On My MS660 I was able to get a Free upgrade paid for the 20" or 25" bar and got the 36" I got a bit of a discount on a second loop of Full chisel skip chain RSF
    On my MS361 i was able to negotiate for a free case that was a bit of a hard sell. But i said so if i buy this farm boss for half the cost i get a case but not on the pro saw he finally caved. I know Lumberjacks have a severe hatred of cases but i haul my saw around with loose wood either in the bucket, carry all, or pickup truck. Unlike lumber jacks i don't throw it in the back of an empty truck, and let a tractor trailer haul off the wood. MS660 has no case offered so i couldn't negotiate for it on that saw

    Dave

  4. #4
    Silver Member Johnkn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    201
    Location
    Laplata, MD
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25-D

    Default Re: Stihl MS261 Pricing

    Thanks guys, that helps...
    December, 2014 Kubota BX25D with factory thumb, Land Pride grapple, Bro-Tek wheel spacers, BXpanded under armor, BXpanded Piranha tooth bar, BXpanded 5/16 chain hooks and slip hook, Bro-Tek ripper tooth. BXpanded back hoe quick attach, BXpanded trench bucket, BXpanded backhoe trailer receiver, BXpanded ripper tooth, 2014 14' 14k/lb Sure Trac dump trailer. 2015 Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" chainsaw...

  5. #5
    Super Member TomSeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    8,694
    Location
    .
    Tractor
    JD, Massey, Kubota, Case

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnkn View Post
    Thanks guys, that helps...
    Stihl makes a good product and due to that they maintain a good price, but that does not mean they won't negotiate. Each dealer has control of the sale price once they buy the equipment. Maybe look for dealers that might be "off the beaten path". In my case it was a dealer in the big city that typically sold a lot of trimmers. But he was very knowledgeable on saws.

  6. #6
    Super Member dragoneggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    7,990
    Location
    Seabeck, Washington
    Tractor
    Kubota BX-25D, Z122RKW-42, and JD LTR166 Lawn Tractor

    Default Re: Stihl MS261 Pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by TomSeller View Post
    Stihl makes a good product and due to that they maintain a good price, but that does not mean they won't negotiate. Each dealer has control of the sale price once they buy the equipment. Maybe look for dealers that might be "off the beaten path". In my case it was a dealer in the big city that typically sold a lot of trimmers. But he was very knowledgeable on saws.
    And as long as they don't advertise pricing below the manufacturer's terms.

  7. #7
    Super Member TomSeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    8,694
    Location
    .
    Tractor
    JD, Massey, Kubota, Case

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dragoneggs View Post
    And as long as they don't advertise pricing below the manufacturer's terms.
    I contacted StihlUSA on that subject and here is their response:

    =========
    Dealers are privately owned, and they have total control on how pricing is set. STIHL Inc. sells equipment and parts to only 12 companies in the U.S., those being our branches and distributors. They in turn sell to the dealers in the territories they service. Once the dealer purchases the equipment or parts, they own them, and can price them at whatever they feel is feasible. The branches and distributors provide an MSRP list to the dealers, which is different for each territory. However, as the dealers are privately owned, they can choose to follow the MSRP list or price the items at their discretion.
    ==========

    So it seems to me that the dealers can do as they seem fit to sell Stihl equipment. Soooooo..... Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate if you are in the market for a new tool Stihl makes. I am a fan of Stihl, but realize they need to stay connected to the new world pricing. I think they will.

  8. #8
    Silver Member Johnkn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    201
    Location
    Laplata, MD
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25-D

    Default Re: Stihl MS261 Pricing

    Looks like the DSRP for the 20" saw is like $640, plus ~$220 for the chaps, helmet, and gloves, plus bar oil, hard case, perhaps an extra chain, etc.. so total before tax should be in the $900+ range. I'll see what they'll do, and if they won't negociate or negociate much, I'll see if they'll throw in the chaps (~$95) at no cost if I buy at list. That would equal effectively about a -10% deal for me, but save them some $ as the chaps don't cost them $95. Thin line out there, we all want a good deal, but we also want our local dealers to remain open and profitable so we can jump in the car and drive down to get a part or tool or service when we need it. Oh, I'm 59 years old, guess I'm getting a little smarter in my old age, should have had the chaps, and helmet/visor/hearing protection 30 years ago. Now I would never want to ...wish... I had spent $200 on protective gear when laid up with a chain saw injury. LOL
    December, 2014 Kubota BX25D with factory thumb, Land Pride grapple, Bro-Tek wheel spacers, BXpanded under armor, BXpanded Piranha tooth bar, BXpanded 5/16 chain hooks and slip hook, Bro-Tek ripper tooth. BXpanded back hoe quick attach, BXpanded trench bucket, BXpanded backhoe trailer receiver, BXpanded ripper tooth, 2014 14' 14k/lb Sure Trac dump trailer. 2015 Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" chainsaw...

  9. #9
    Super Member dragoneggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    7,990
    Location
    Seabeck, Washington
    Tractor
    Kubota BX-25D, Z122RKW-42, and JD LTR166 Lawn Tractor

    Default Re: Stihl MS261 Pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by TomSeller View Post
    I contacted StihlUSA on that subject and here is their response:

    =========
    Dealers are privately owned, and they have total control on how pricing is set. STIHL Inc. sells equipment and parts to only 12 companies in the U.S., those being our branches and distributors. They in turn sell to the dealers in the territories they service. Once the dealer purchases the equipment or parts, they own them, and can price them at whatever they feel is feasible. The branches and distributors provide an MSRP list to the dealers, which is different for each territory. However, as the dealers are privately owned, they can choose to follow the MSRP list or price the items at their discretion.
    ==========

    So it seems to me that the dealers can do as they seem fit to sell Stihl equipment. Soooooo..... Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate if you are in the market for a new tool Stihl makes. I am a fan of Stihl, but realize they need to stay connected to the new world pricing. I think they will.
    Sounds right and makes sense. I just know some manufacturers can have a problem with the advertised price if it falls below some threshold. You will see some internet retailers get around that by not divulging the price until you 'add to your cart'.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Will_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,667
    Location
    Upstate N.Y.
    Tractor
    B2620, Toro Z-Master 45 3 (2 3hp Kaw asaki, 52" deck.Kubota RTV 900)

    Default

    I saw the 261 for $525 on the NYS woods men's show - that is usually the cheapest price available.

    Will

    Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Stihl FS 90 over FS 80
    By Mattc8832 in forum Garden Tools
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-20-2016, 12:46 AM
  2. Stihl FS-81
    By Will_C in forum General Lawn & Garden
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-13-2015, 11:05 AM
  3. Stihl ms261 problem
    By CJBOTA in forum Land Clearing Equipment
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-07-2015, 11:56 AM
  4. ???? Stihl ????
    By Damifino in forum Chainsaws
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-14-2010, 04:25 PM
  5. Pricing JD 970 and pricing and adviceFord 1510
    By JD970NWwildman in forum Buying/Pricing/Comparisons
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 04:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2017 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.