Stihl 026 Chainsaw Fuel Problems

/ Stihl 026 Chainsaw Fuel Problems #1  

Rayrla

Silver Member
Tractor
1994 Ford 1920, Kubota B26 TLB
My Stihl 026 has a fuel supply problem. When I pour some fuel directly into the carb, it runs for a few seconds and dies. I have removed the carb, the fuel line, and filter. I plan on purchasing a rebuild kit for the carb and new fuel line and filter. There is another line from the carb that appears to be going to the crankcase. I would like to replace this line as well, but cannot see how to access this line. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I purchased this saw back in 1995, and it has had zero problems until now. Thanks.

/ Stihl 026 Chainsaw Fuel Problems #2  
That would be the impulse line.

/ Stihl 026 Chainsaw Fuel Problems #3  
This video will show you impulse.

/ Stihl 026 Chainsaw Fuel Problems #4  
I have not see a good description of the impulse line and how the whole system works.

/ Stihl 026 Chainsaw Fuel Problems
I have not see a good description of the impulse line and how the whole system works.
From what I have read the impulse line supplies vacuum to enable fuel to flow to the carb from the tank. The engine heat causes the impulse line to degrade and fail over time. Even from the video above, I cannot see how to get the new line installed. It doesn't appear that removing the pull starter mechanism will open up enough space.

/ Stihl 026 Chainsaw Fuel Problems #6  
Looking at mine, It looks like you just gently pull it out of the crank case and insert the new one in? Same with the fuel line?.

/ Stihl 026 Chainsaw Fuel Problems #7  
There is a nipple on the crankcase it slides over. On the back of the carb mount area impulse line passes through plastic and attaches to carb on the bottom of carb on impulse nipple.

/ Stihl 026 Chainsaw Fuel Problems #8  
The impulse hose is what makes the diaphragm in the carb work to "pump" fuel.

As the piston travels up and down in the cylinder, this creates pressure and vacuum waves inside the crankcase. These "impulses" are transferred through the hose, and actuate the diaphragm in the carb to pump fuel.

/ Stihl 026 Chainsaw Fuel Problems
Thanks to all who replied. When I get a few minutes over the next few days will give replacing the impulse line a try. Seems pretty tight where impulse line fits over crankcase nipple.

/ Stihl 026 Chainsaw Fuel Problems #10  
2 words for this. Long forceps.

I have straight and curved set.